Azamara vs Regent, An Actual Comparison Based on Onboard Experience

rallydave

Thank you for trying to answer my question. I'm trying to learn when the two ships were refurbished prior to this year. Was it two, three, four or ??? years ago?

new pool furniture was put on in 2012. i was on the ship when it landed by crane in S America. i think the balcony furniture replace around that time but not when i was there. i hate the chairs. .they look nice but not comfortable and no more lounge chairs on balcony.

the forward bar area was redone in 2014 if i remember right.. added pool furniture-sofas etc was replace in 2015.

as far as i know there were things that guests do not see during that time too. one example there is better crew bar, picnic tables for them etc. .AZ believe happy crew happy guests.

I hope this helps as that is all i remember.

ellbon, it is helpful. Thanks much!

welcome. I have been following some threads as I have booked SAmerica in 2018. The one constant negative I have read on three cruise lines is problems with tours being cancel or ports being changed.

I have cruises well over 75 cruises since collage and almost half on Azamara . I find being loyal to a line gives perks. The one main thing I love about Az is the crew . The hugs and smiles are important to me.

welcome. I have been following some threads as I have booked SAmerica in 2018. The one constant negative I have read on three cruise lines is problems with tours being cancel or ports being changed.

I have cruises well over 75 cruises since collage and almost half on Azamara . I find being loyal to a line gives perks. The one main thing I love about Az is the crew . The hugs and smiles are important to me.

Hugs and smiles are important to us too (which is one reason why we love Regent and have appreciated the comments we have read about Azamara's crew).

In terms of changing ports, unfortunately, this is probably something that will continue - as long as there is unrest in the world.

Hugs and smiles are important to us too (which is one reason why we love Regent and have appreciated the comments we have read about Azamara's crew).

In terms of changing ports, unfortunately, this is probably something that will continue - as long as there is unrest in the world.

I am on AZ this dec .they just blew off a port and added more time to another. guessing there nothing really to do in that port. Playa del Carman. .so twice the time in Carta. i am so tired of that port. i am going for a nice lunch or an early dinner as we now sail at 10 . we changes ports due to the amount of ships in. oceania does that too. so it not all about unrest.

On AZ you get welcome home- you get cold/warm towels and the same with drinks when you come back each day. I seen other lines do that when i am waiting to board. very nice touch. helps me climb the stairs to either my cabin or hte nearest bar for more water.

On AZ you get welcome home- you get cold/warm towels and the same with drinks when you come back each day. I seen other lines do that when i am waiting to board. very nice touch. helps me climb the stairs to either my cabin or hte nearest bar for more water.

They haven't done that little touch on Regent for at least ten years.

They haven't done that little touch on Regent for at least ten years.

Well, we had it on a cruise on Regent last year and the year before :)

Not on all cruises or in all ports; usually in the hotter parts of the world after most guests have been on an all-day excursion

Regent has done it in the past ten years - but certainly not in all ports (referring to cold towels - not water since there is always water bottles on a table as soon as you board the ship as well as when you are leaving the ship). In tender ports there is water available while you are waiting for the tender to arrive.

For those who have not sailed Azamara there is bottle water at every gangway going off ship. but this is water on the dock handed out in cups that ice cold. if cold out someone there with coffee or hot chocolate. in tender ports they are on shore at the tender dock. i love my cold towel there even more while waiting for tender. in one port this summer they tried serving ice cream- melted fast but thought was great.. I heard from people I met on Azamara that you do not get towels. here i just read that towels can and do show up but not all ports. interesting

Thanks so very much, Dave, for your great Azamara review.

We have got our reservation in place for Feb. 2018 on Journey, Sydney to Auckland. Can't wait to give Azamara and try and, hopefully, will have the stellar experience you and so many others have had.

Thanks, again!

Denise

Edited by nyfeds

Thanks so very much, Dave, for your great Azamara review.

We have got our reservation in place for Feb. 2018 on Journey, Sydney to Auckland. Can't wait to give Azamara and try and, hopefully, will have the stellar experience you and so many others have had.

Thanks, again!

Denise

Ooh, that itinerary is high on our list if we like Journey later this month!

If your going to compare it needs to be during the same year--otherwise it just doesn't hold water so to say. Also everyone has their likes and dislikes, so if you like it stay with it-that's your choice. But don't say ones bad just because you saved a few dollars.

At this price tier service/food/beverages/rooms/ship condition/etc... should be consistent and excellent from year to year. You're not comparing wines.

At this price tier service/food/beverages/rooms/ship condition/etc... should be consistent and excellent from year to year. You're not comparing wines.

Agree about consistency, however, changes that occur from year to year are generally positive ones. While the service is consistent, redoing "rooms" such as has been done on the Navigator (adding Prime 7 and expanding public areas) has, in the opinion of many, improved the ship. Gutting and rebuilding La Veranda on the Mariner (to be like La Veranda on the Explorer) will be a big, very positive change. Redoing the décor in the suites to freshen the look and do updating (adding USB ports is a good example) is important.

Food on the ships continue to change and improve. I cannot imagine anyone not preferring the new Compass Rose menu (not yet on most ships) to the previous one. IMO, Chartreuse is an improvement over Signatures. "Beverages" - I'm happy that the alcohol list is not the same as five years ago because the offerings, in some cases, are a better quality than was offered previously (in no case has the offerings diminished or gone down in quality.)

Regent is consistently working on the ships - not only during dry dock. It seems that outside railings are always being redone, the exterior of the ships are being painted at just about every port, etc. As with any ship -- there are passengers onboard 24/7 and some areas can look tired after a while (which is why the frequent refurbishment of Regent ships is important to me). I did ask last year why the old marble has not been replaced in the bathrooms of the Navigator, Voyager and Mariner. Most of the bathroom looks great but not the sink areas. Apparently this is very time consuming and cannot be done while the ship has passengers onboard (due to the noise when removing the marble) and there is not enough time during dry dock to replace it. Hopefully, when the current dry docks are completed next year, Regent could look into replacing the marble - one suite at a time. Or, if it doesn't weigh down the ship too much, they could put marble over marble in the bathrooms -- a much quicker way of improving the look which, IMO, does look dated.

In any case, while I appreciate consistency in service and food quality, I embrace the changes that Regent has made to their ships in recent years.

You cannot put marble over marble. Old marble must come up and the floor leveled. Tile on old tile is a no no as well according to our marble guy. Jackhammer the old stuff up and lay it properly.

People who have tried doing this have always had problems. The height will be increased due to the mortar and will have a tendency to fracture as well. Not a good choice for a home or a ship

Edited by Suite Travels

Oh gosh, I hesitated to even post to this thread, it's been beaten to the ground.

I'm a long time cruiser in Regent, approaching 500 days, since my first sailing on Navigator in 2000 and btw, love my perks. However, I've cruised other lines in between several times, and never had a bad cruise. In the end, you form your own experience.....I've read boards for so many years, I guess you can see how long I've been here.

I've never had a bad cruise, ever. While I love Regent, I cruise other lines as well from time to time, based on circumstances, if you are with with Grandchildren and family, go with Disney, or Princess is my experience, since both have kids clubs.

I had one cruise on Azamara and loved it! I was with a lot of friends aboard, but none of them were smokers. In that one little area where smoking is allowed, this line provided me with the best time I had the whole cruise! Funny, the more time you spend with fellow cruisers, the more you get to really know them, and oh my, those guys who service the bar service on that particular deck were the best ever!