Live from MS Europa, Lisbon-Nice, 9/8/16-9/21/16

Catlover54

This is another fellow solo traveler, a gynecologist from Germany. He was at my table last night, very pleasant.

He may have gone looking for lounger cushions.

3bb4591a1df4fcd2bec92c8d9a399984.jpg

No major musical events yet, we get oriented tonight at the gala to the artists

Next stop will be Sevilla where we will have a land concert, I will post more if internet allows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catlover54,

With regard to the restaurant opening times, I wonder if that list is correct.

It shows the speciality restaurant Dieter Müller to be open in the mornings.

Does it really serve breakfast?

With regard to dining in the Europa Restaurant, it is my understanding that, as opposed to the Europa 2, one is assigned a fixed table.

Is that correct, and, if so, is that assigned table merely for an evening meal, or also for breakfast and lunch?

Have a very enjoyable evening, and I look forward to reading your comments on the formal Gala.

Edited by English Voyager

the Dieter Müller restaurant is open for late breakfast - very occasionally for lunch on seadays

the assigned seating is only for dinner :)

breakfast and lunch are open -( lunch with a salad buffet on display )

and on seadays : gourmet breakfast with complimentary Duval bubbles

After dinner last night most pax gathered in the Europa lounge (the main entertainment hall) and listened to the talkative Captain Mark Behrend introduce his key crew members. The head of engineering is Rumanian descent. The entertainment director is Randall Cooper, who is an American originally from San Francisco but who has lived in Germany for 30 years. He started out as a singer. He speaks excellent German, though still with an American accent which 30 years of immersion apparently cannot shake. He is very enthusiastic. I have seen his name on several of the English language paperwork assortments that I have received from HL. There is also an international hostess on board I have not used, and there are many other front line crew who speak excellent English, (and indeed the visible Filipino crew not surprisingly speak better English than German). While it is nice to know some German on this ship to get around, you can do just fine without it, you can just make yourself known.

Then some of the entertainment groups were announced, including a guy who calls himself “Mr. Rod” and sings Rod Sewart covers (he sang a forgettable sample, so I think I will be skipping his main performances). Tatiana Kapouk, from Belarus, is the beautiful blonde on-board pianist who plays in the Belvedere observation lounge at tea time, and elsewhere. I saw her dining with an older man earlier, I think a solo traveler, they both spoke English to each other. Ispacion, the Spanish dance ensemble that performs on a variety of cruise ships including Europa 2, is also here, and did one number (excellent as before). I had seen a couple of their members hanging around at the bar earlier looking cool and beautiful, smoking, in the mostly empty lounge. There is a separate indoor lounge, the Havana Bar, for smokers, usually empty. Balcony smoking is allowed but I haven’t smelled anything, as there are very few smokers on board.

This morning the first three items listed in the program were:

1. Getting fit using a hand towel

2. Morning prayer for the beginning of the voyage (there is an on-board clergyman)

3. First Ocean Sun Festival matinee

I passed on the towel exercises, prayed in my suite that it would not get too hot today, and then attended the matinee. Four musicians from the Munich String Quartet did pieces by Glazunov and Dvorak, very nice. I sat up close for a perfect view and hearing opportunity. We also got an overview of what performers would be performing when, and a bit about their backgrounds, and have a brochure giving their bios in detail. This was followed by an enrichment lecture about Seville (our next port), Cordoba, and Almera.

Here is an interesting looking swimmer, right before the gala :

bd3451f35a6d9ead2a652239d3f806c6.jpg

People were dressed to the nines for the gala appetizers, champagne, captain meeting ( he posed with you if wanted, I did not want)

DInner I chose was Siberian caviar with blini and all the trimmings, and then a risotto with Steinpilze mushrooms parmesan and spinach, though lobster thermidor was also on the menu, followed by an almond and marzipan dessert variant, all excellent with only minor service glitsches

8d895bf28811247d3df8a09c65ea56b6.jpg

My stewardesses have been great and have been respecting my request to have the head of the bed high with many pillows. On top perched a turndown chocolate with a saying that says, loosely translated, "You can tell when you are getting old when you have more pleasure thinking about the past than the future "( John Kittel, Swiss writer)

Despite the desire for head elevation, if the saying is correct, I am thus not yet old :)

e6fcf232aa368206938161ed77283ca5.jpg

catlover 54,

i am glad you do enjoy your cruise on ms europa so far.

i noticed in the papers it is still very hot in Sevilla :cool:

it is rather special a cruise ship does call at the isle of Porquerolles , where a very fresh dry rosé wine is made - and peaches growing in the vineyards.

i hope for you the ms europa will dock close to the city center in Marseille and not in the port itself what is a 25 minutes transfer by bus.

if on farewell gala in the MDR the cheeses are announced "by Antony" - have a try - that is one of the finest and most reputated cheese mongers in France .

Seville (9/10/16)

It was very hot today, mid-90’s (though better than a few days ago when it was reportedly 111 in Seville) !

I ordered room service for the first time to test it out, everything arrived during the requested time frame and as ordered. The breakfast room service offerings include the usual American breakfast items, plus European breads (real fresh and crispy, not rubbery like at the Lisbon Four Seasons, German style little white rolls, i.e., Broetchen), sausage meats, and assorted cheeses. You can also get salmon, shrimp, and smoked eel (I passed on the eel, as I prefer never to eat it before noon)

I consumed very good coffee and breakfast while lounging on my super-comfortable bed, looking ahead at the wall in front of the bed which has this picture, which I find a little disturbing for a sleep area:

6bcd84f6dcd07d90fb015e58986e3636.jpg

After the morning events described upthread, and arrival in Seville, I braved the afternoon heat and did an excursion which included a touristy but charming horse and buggy ride through rich and beautiful shaded gardens (Parque de Maria Luisa) to the huge Plaza Espana (photos below)

9672971b212782bf6a80e9bdf33062ee.jpg

f15b1e1abd913d886683e30592a4f469.jpg

58aea33c96e3ed24c59a0821a6b7e430.jpg

c5b5bf4a2dfbf383fcd0b2e660d08d11.jpg

Then we walked through the narrow alleys of the touristy Barris de Santa Cruz, the ancient Jewish district of Seville (the 2000 Jews of this town were summarily evicted after the Reconquista), and toured the impressive Alcazar castle. The castle was originally Moorish, then Christian, with appropriate adornments to match, changed as the power changed, and in its current form more or less since the 1300’s. The tile work detail was amazing, though with the heat as it was, I seemed to be dissolving and had a bit of trouble paying attention. People were drinking hot water from their free plastic water bottles and a few older people stopped half-way through the tour to take a cab back to the ship, they could not handle the heat

ALcazar:

f765545d2b751c4cb25f33aad74e7d78.jpg

In the early evening HL sponsored a “solo cruisers” cocktail party in the Belvedere lounge. I was told there are 44 solo cruiser, out of 316 passengers, on a ship that holds 400 (not sure what happened with the other 84, given that when I booked this cruise months ago, the computer showed me getting the last suite).

Of those 44, about 20 showed to the party, 18 women (all but one of them over 60) and 2 men (well over 70). The international hostess was there, and so were a couple other friendly hosts. They told me there are only 4 non-German speaking pax on the ship. The hostess translates menus and programs for them and helps them with securing English language tours. I also toured the well-equipped hospital, which can handle cruisers needing dialysis if one plans ahead.

The Ocean Sun Festival continued with a performance by Alfredo Daza, a Mexican baritone who did a pain-inducing rendition of “Tu, ca nun chine” ("you, who never cries", by Ernesto de Curtis), accompanied by pianist Semjon Skigin who also did Verdi solo works for piano (yes, there are some).-

In the early evening HL sponsored a “solo cruisers” cocktail party in the Belvedere lounge. I was told there are 44 solo cruisers out of 316 passengers, on a ship that holds 400 (not sure what happened with the other 84, given that when I booked this cruise months ago, the computer showed me getting the last suite).

Of those 44, about 20 showed to the party, 18 women (all but one of them over 60) and 2 men (well over 70). The international hostess was there, and so were a couple other friendly hosts. They told me there are only 4 non-German speaking pax on the ship. The hostess translates menus and programs for them and helps them with securing English language tours. I also toured the well-equipped hospital, which can handle cruisers needing dialysis if one plans ahead.

The Ocean Sun Festival continued with a performance by Alfredo Daza, a Mexican baritone who did a pain-inducing rendition of “Tu, ca nun chine” ("you, who never cries", by Ernesto de Curtis), accompanied by pianist Semjon Skigin who also did Verdi solo works for piano (yes, there are some).

overall a good day, despite the heat

where a very fresh dry rosé wine is made - and peaches growing in the vineyards.

Love your report catlover!

Our Europa 2 cruise is coming up in 4 months. When I read the line about the wine, I wondered what the policy is for bringing such a special bottle aboard. Is there a bottle opener in the suite? Can we bring the bottle to the dining room, pay a corkage fee and have it opened and poured by the waiter? Sorry for highjacking your thread.

Catlover54,

Thank you for your evocative posts.

I am intrigued.

In what way was Alfredo Daza's rendition of 'Tu ca nun chiagne' pain inducing?

Here is is singing 'Non più andrai ' :

For the last 12 years he has been a permanent member of the ensemble at the Deutsche Staatsoper in Berlin.

Out of interest who is the current International Hostess on the Europa?

In Seville, I was under the impression that there was to be an orchestral concert ashore?

Did it take place?

Edited by English Voyager

My lunch in MDR, very peaceful, was leek and potato soup with ham and croutons, salad from buffet, salmon in cream sauce with tagliatelle and red caviar,

Italian ice cream with freshly whipped cream for dessert

0351043b1e44167b7e852ee5b8f2be34.jpg

I paired this with a 0.25 liter (Karaffe) portion of Shiraz Cuvee Anna from South Africa Stellenbasch district, very nice.

There are hundreds of wines by the bottle and a few dozen in either 0.1 or 0.25 sizes which facilitates sampling. Here is a partial list of quality open red bottles:

1d7467db16e0c0cd39ff20347c3a9de7.jpg

The German Merdinger red pinot noir style from Baden was also nice last night

Love your report catlover!

Our Europa 2 cruise is coming up in 4 months. When I read the line about the wine, I wondered what the policy is for bringing such a special bottle aboard. Is there a bottle opener in the suite? Can we bring the bottle to the dining room, pay a corkage fee and have it opened and poured by the waiter? Sorry for highjacking your thread.

i am going to highjack as well ... sorry;)

on hapag lloyd ships passengers can bring local purchased wines and beverages to your cabin - yes there used to be a bottle opener

if you want to open a bottle of wine brought from home or bought in a port in one of the restaurants - there is a modest corkage fee of -now 15 € i think

TEA Time on the Europa with the lovely pianist

There are 20 different teas on the bilingual tea menu, pastries and little sandwiches. You can see the big tub of freshly whipped cream that is an option to put on cake, Germans love that and so do I.

I heard English at one of the tables so I went over to meet and chatted with a British couple, they speak no German but adore the Europa, have done multiple cruises on her.

076d706d7440c6d0f87c9740d35a9b42.jpg

18974276ad98564fafd8fc1bc8eba977.jpg

d81b5bda10206124fea2e0856e8a6feb.jpg

I have been having some technical problems, so I apologize for delayed answers to questions (am toggling between Tapatalk and my laptop for a variety of reasons including internet problems, and it has made a bit of a mess of my desired sequencing as I did not see some of your replies straight off.

English Voyager, by “pain-inducing” performance of Alfredo Daza, I did not mean in a negative way, sorry about the confusion. I meant he performed expressing pain of the soul, or, better stated, passionately, or “leidenschaftlich” as the Germans say. He has a terrific voice and great expression, which he also displayed in the land concert tonight at the Hacienda El Vazir (more on this below)

Floridiana and Vistaman, as far as I am concerned there is no such thing as “hijacking” a thread here. I am sharing my experiences for you to enjoy and ask questions about, free associate, or whatever suits you!

There is a bottle opener in the room, but even if there weren’t, you could call for one. Service on this ship during the 3 days I have been on has been flawless, the best ever on the luxury cruises I have done. I am still waiting to find something to get truly annoyed about.

I brought a couple alcoholic beverage bottles on board (e.g., port from Lisbon and also ginghina liqueur) and they were not confiscated like they would be on mainstream lines (am bringing them home to DH:). I have not brought them into the dining rooms because I am keen on trying the many wonderful offerings here.

Tonight, shortly before sunset, 6 bus-loads of mostly white-haired elderly prim, proper and sedate northern Europeans departed the MS Europa for a 25-minute drive to Hacienda El Vazir for a land concert of emotional southern European composers’ music. We drove past the huge Sevilla Ikea, a couple “home of the whopper” Burger Kings, billboard ads for Toshiba, and multiple block-like grey and beige unattractive but functional apartment houses reminding tourists that life in the big city suburbs of Europe is nothing like what we see in the zones we seek out as visitors. We then arrived at the concert venue,

a tastefully done recreation of a Moorish hacienda which hosts bullfighting and horse events and weddings, and tonight, this spectacular, unforgettable concert. We were greeted by several young dark-haired Spanish couples in native costumes looking beautiful and posing for pictures. Unfortunately I stupidly had forgotten my iPhone. Shortly thereafter our concert started (program shown below). I got lucky and landed up with one of the best seats in the house, in the front row center, and on the only chair that had a cushioned backrest (which I always crave). The singers stood just a few feet away from me on the stage, and the acoustics for voice and the orchestra of about 30 fantastic and enthusiastic musicians (8 of them women) were excellent.

The guitarist for the first piece, the famous Rodrigo “Concerto de Aranjuez” for guitar and orchestra was the very Spanish Juan Manuel Canizares (photo copied from my program is shown below), whose appearance and guitar-playing style matched the hauntingly beautiful music perfectly. The stunning and sultry Kazan, Russia born mezzo Julia Mazurova, all of 27 years old, wore a gorgeous gold glittery strapless gown tight at the waist with an even tighter bodice, and her voice and expression were exceptional when she sang the Habanera and the Arie der Rosina. She was joined by Alfredo Daza, who very dramatically performed Arie des Escamillo, and a comical Arie des Figaro

I again kicked myself for not having my phone to take pictures with or at least record some of the music. My mother had introduced me to the Concerto de Aranjuez back in the late 1960’s when we listened to it repeatedly on her Ford Mustang’s brand new 8-track player, over and over (having an 8-track in a car was a big deal back then), while commuting weekly for a year from Seattle to a small town in northwest Washington. Needless to say, it sounded much better tonight, but brought back fond memories. Every time I heard it, due to conditioning, I would oddly think of Seattle, but now I will think of Spain instead and this exceptional evening. Not a bad way to spend 9/11, either, which is easy to forget about when not in America on that day.

English Voyager, the international hostess is a young woman named Lara who has been with the Europa for

18 months. I forgot her official last name but her nickname is "Lara Lu" because she said she once dressed as a Chinese for a costume. She also said crew refer to the Europa as " Mutti" or Mummy, the mother ship of the HL four, as they feel secure and happy here . Crew are paid enough to attract German and Austrian personnel even in server areas and to me they do not seem stressed. Even as a solo and a newbie I am not ignored by them like I have been sometimes on other lines, or at two of three dinners at the Four Seasons Ritz in Lisbon recently where consistent service was painful to non - existent due to understaffing

After the land concert at the Hacienda last night, we returned to the ship to a welcoming late evening buffet of sausages, wienerschnitzel bites, potato salad, meatballs, and empanadas in the Atrium as we came on. There was a little confusion on where the buffet lines were supposed to start (apparently they started informally by mass action on both sides) which disturbed a few Germans who do not like to cut in line but wanted to get at the food quickly, as many had not had dinner before the concert and there were no food or drink offerings at the Hacienda — just music. There was not enough room to accommodate everyone in the atrium, so some of us spilled over into the Gatsby lounge with our sausage-laden plates, where a few members of the on-board band were playing things like Moon River, Misty, and similar, which somehow could not compare with the prior concert. I tried the “Samsonite Man" cocktail (rum, jasmin, and cucumber) just to see what it was about (I pulled the cucumber slices out to join the sausages) and tried to focus on the saxophonist, wearing the regulation floppy rimmed hat that saxophonists seem to always wear. The pianist was a ponytailed balding guy, and the singer a black man who spoke good German, all doing their best to amuse this tough audience.

This morning I went on an organized walk that was labelled as going to the places of Carmen. To my pleasant surprise, Carmen joined us, or should I say, Julia Masurova joined us, and when we toured the bullfighter’s stadium, she posed and graced us with Carmen’s song, shown below. I practiced my Russian a bit with her, (she started playing piano at age 4 in Kazan and her talent for music became quickly apparent) and noted as we walked through town how heads turned to look at her, and how the gazes of men young and old (but especially the middle-aged), were immediately drawn to her, and of course it is obvious why.