Live from MS Europa, Lisbon-Nice, 9/8/16-9/21/16

Catlover54

I did not book any excursions for this port as I knew I would be able to walk to most key sites. DH and I had spent four days in Barcelona in 2014 prior to a Silver Spirit cruise which centered around the Monaco Grand Prix, at which time we had done intense private tours of multiple Gaudi structures, Park Guell, La Familia Sagrada cathedral, and Montserrat outside of town (all recommended), and we will be back in Barcelona next spring for the start of a Seabourn cruise to see yet more, e.g., the Picasso Museum (early works) and The Museum of National Art of Catalunya (MNAC) which is on a hill above the port with views and collections of old and new art. Unfortunately we are only in port for 10 hours today, so after my sumptuous early lunch at the Venetia restaurant on board the Europa, after first considering going to MNAC, I just took a cab into the Gothic quarter, primarily to tour the Barcelona Cathedral (Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia, 7 Euro for admission and there are also clean unisex single toilets in the structure). We had skipped this last visit to avoid getting churched out. Unfortunately my iPhone pictures shown below cannot do justice to the interior of this church which dates back to a 1298 construction start.

I read that Saint Eulalia was only 13 when she was martyred during Roman occupation in a very brutal way, even for the day (she died when the Romans allegedly stuck her in a barrel with knives and rolled it down the street — no Constitution or civil rights or religious freedom back then, much less women’s rights, or the right to be free of micro aggressions).

There is a Gothic cloister wing with a calming fountain and 13 white geese are there to stand guard and commemorate Eulalia’s youthful age at martyrdom.

Unbelievably, as I gazed at the geese, I was shocked that at that moment, despite a very full stomach, I fondly remembered the very tasty roast goose dish DH and I had eaten Christmas Eve a few months ago in the MDR of the Europa 2 on our Cape Town- Cape Town cruise. I might have thought of it because I wondered what would happen if a 14th goose somehow disruptively appeared. The ones there seem to have a good life for now, and the cathedral is stunning. I recommend if you go, allow two hours and take a formal tour to get the most out of it, rather than just a quick in and out.

After my return from strolling Barcelona’s old town, I sampled multiple MS Europa offerings, all included in the fare cost:

Before dinner, the Istacion Spanish dancers did a couple flamboyant flamenco numbers in the Gatsby Lounge after an introduction (verbal and culinary) to the history of tapas and a display of assorted choices. There were also multiple jars of spices available for pax to smell (though most just dived in and ate the tapas, skipping the aromatics, with such vigor you would think despite Europa’s 24-hour food offerings they were deprived of sustenance!. I thought the place would be packed so I had come early, but there were only about 40 people there, lots of room to sit. As usual, the dancers were terrific, energetic, skilled and expressive, and the tapas were superb. The only thing I would improve on is having the tapas carried around the bar and served at your seat, rather than having people line up to get them like they did here, which was as in a cafeteria, or perhaps on a main-stream line.

Next, I tried for the first time on this voyage the small (26 seat) restaurant of Dieter Mueller, where I had made a reservation in advance the first day of the trip, not knowing what would be on the menu. He is apparently quite famous on the international chef scene for his cooking, and is the first Michelin-starred chef to offer menus on a cruise ship (starting 2010, on this ship). The 7-course small plates set menu with optional (for cost) wine pairings was “exotic-aromatic” themed today, presenting his take on Asian foods. Unfortunately the food did not do much for me overall (perhaps I am spoiled, living in the San Francisco bay area with many wonderful authentic varied Asian restaurants and easy access to seafood) and I found myself wishing I was over in the MDR eating the offered steak tatar and spiced fried blood sausage instead. There was a lot of fuss with various plates and silverware, and there were a lot of descriptive adjectives about the spices and the trimmings, and it was all fine, just not worth all the build-up. I had enjoyed the former R2 menu on the Seabourn Odyssey last year much more than this. The best parts were the tender wagyu beef with corn dim sum and veggies, and the panna cotta dessert. The atmosphere was also not as nice as in the MDR, tables were too close together, and the air was too warm for my tastes. It was also a little annoying that when I came in alone and was seated, personnel immediately offered in loud voices with all around me listening, that if I was not accompanied by anyone, they would be happy to find someone from the crew to dine with me (there was one crew lady dining as part of a foursome right next to me, would they have made her move over?) , so I would not “have” to dine alone, stating that is a traditional offering they make to solos. I declined and would have preferred they just seat and feed me without fussing over my solitude.

Finally, the highlight of the evening was the Ocean Sun Festival offering, a performance by soprano Simone Kermes , accompanied by Daniel Heide on piano. She has a beautiful voice and expressive delivery.

Morning in Marseille harbor, the frightening sight of the 4000 pax Norwegian epic near us

dc6740c3e6b7c036ed154be210112df6.jpg

6318c2b92b85bcd01a5e3b758a063c82.jpg

580ec19ce6f12508806802a4bf2fc3c7.jpg

As usual easy seating in Lido for a late breakfast with attentive service and freshly squeezed OJ

59252a1c5dc8206d2386c4e239b257c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AIX-EN-PROVENCE walking excursion today, then a visit to Cezanne's studio. Very crowded everywhere, with contrasts between ancient churches and architecture amidst Segway riders with windsails, accordeon-playing gypsies, teens on motorbikes doing wheelies around the central roundabout, beggars bowing forward lying on the street extending cups, and scattered head-to-toe covered Muslim women carrying stuffed modern shopping bags. But mostly just seas of tourists and endless rows of bars, restaurants, and shops.

Cezanne's studio contained artifacts from his day, including the three skulls he had used in a series of paintings towards the end of his life when he was getting depressed about getting old

His studio:

92a45490349103a46c47664d0beb5424.jpg

3c372a7d9dc36b7da72f395deb09ea15.jpg

4bed2eaaacf5d9ed612ed054c7c4eaeb.jpg

His painting as shown on internet

Edited by Catlover54

Today at lunch on the Lido was a Bavarian feast and festival, Bayrischer Fruehschoppen, with crew dressed in traditional dirndls and Lederhosen pouring beer and spirits, a band playing oom-pah-pah and beer hall music ( same guys who usually play lounge music in the Gatsby's bar i.e., the black lead singer and ponytailed keyboard guy), and complete with roasted suckling pigs and other traditional German dishes including dumplings, sauerbraten, schmalz on farmers bread, Berliner with jelly filling, apple strudel, pretzels

Tonight the classical performance is Igor Levit, classical pianist, performing 2 Beethoven sonatas, the Opus 26, and the Waldstein Sonata.

As per usual with the classical concerts, they announced in advance, so as not to disturb the concert, that drink orders would stop 10 minutes before the concert starts, and also not to enter or exit except during applause times/pauses, which is very nice, considerate to the performers. I have been very impressed with how respectful the audiences on this ship are to the classical performers. Most people on board come from an older era.

Dear Catlover, I treasure your reviews, and this one has been outstanding! I would so much want to experience the Europa2, but my DH - who speaks very good German - is against having to sign up for drinks and beverages. In this respect, we have been spoiled by SB and SS, the only two cruise lines we have experienced. Do they have drink packages like mainstream lines? How do they handle wine with dinner? Is it free? Thanks for any enlightenment on this topic. BTW, we both love classical music, including new music from contemporary composers.

Dear Catlover, I treasure your reviews, and this one has been outstanding! I would so much want to experience the Europa2, but my DH - who speaks very good German - is against having to sign up for drinks and beverages. In this respect, we have been spoiled by SB and SS, the only two cruise lines we have experienced. Do they have drink packages like mainstream lines? How do they handle wine with dinner? Is it free? Thanks for any enlightenment on this topic. BTW, we both love classical music, including new music from contemporary composers.

No drink packages. You just pick one of the hundreds of quality international wines or drinks you want which have modest markups and verbally give your suite number, no need to produce your card, no need to even sign, you can just leave at end of the meal or bar visit like I usually do, or you can wait to sign if you want to tip but which is not required

Very easy but you have to factor in the cost in your budget if you are a big drinker

There are free wines and drinks only on certain days like gala, welcome on board cocktails, Bavarian fest etc

No fussing about inadequate included wines which is a peeve on SS and SB and Regent and Crystal

Many quality wines are open and available in 0.1 or .25 l portions

The suite is daily stocked with free beer, soft drinks, waters, juices of your choice

The following paragraph is from Cruise Critic's recent updating review on the Europa 2:

'Here and around the ship you can order from a selection of 450 reasonably priced wines from around the world. The emphasis is on Old World wines, but you can find South African Syrahs or chardonnay from the USA. Europa 2 has its own private-label pinot blanc from Markus Schneider, priced at 24 euros. Decent wine by the glass (such as a French Crozes-Hermitage Rhone) can be had for about 5 euros.'

The full review is very detailed:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=716

751f812ab66e6c8b7ac66b4290ca8986.jpg

f0b89089332009beb9ef4488c02b118e.jpg

Sense of freedom on an empty deck with an empty pool at night:

9e149409a344025bbc39194c0070a743.jpg

Bass, piano, drums, aspiring boy , hoping for freedom?

Freedom chick on the Europa?

2bfe5ba9d1d12e08a476d14c151763d5.jpg

Edited by Catlover54

I did an excursion up windy roads in the bus to see 8th century Corsican villages and churches we walked through, and then ate spuntunu at a local inn

One guy in a church was wearing a Che T shirt i.e., extolling the name of a murderer, and the other who looked Arab had on a shirt that said GENUINE US MARSHALL, not sure what he was trying to convey in a church in Corsica, but neither were Europa pax

We did however have several old overweight men pax in very bright pants, red, grass green, sky blue, yellow, odd. Must be a new style for aging German seniors.

The views were terrific, the company not so much but I did not allow myself to get pulled down by those who are unappreciative of the freedoms they have

It was gala night, so after the concert and the dinner all the crew came out in the lounge and sang seafarer songs and auctioned off a crew flag. The captain has an excellent voice

Edited by Catlover54