Email from Carnival

GalCruzer

We booked an Ocean view. I didn't realize there was such a difference between a balcony and a suite. Guess that's how it is when you've only gone on 3 Cruises and all were Ocean view. I have always wanted to get a balcony. Just like we prefer at some Hotel Resorts. But not sure I want or need such a big room even for a 6 day cruise.

If you can afford it, do it!

Does the Ecstasy have balconies? Or was it a suite? I was under the impression that Fantasy class ships have no balconies.

The Ecstasy has about 100 balconies, they were added during a dry dock about 10 years ago. You can see them on her page: https://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-ecstasy.aspx

Most of the other Fantasy class ships don't have balconies, just a few suites on Upper and Veranda decks.

The upgrade may have been for a suite though, I can't recall. It's been a while.

For those of you who received these offers - did you book direct with Carnival or through TA?

I've often wondered the same thing, the only time I ever received an upgrade offer was the one time I booked directly with Carnival. On that cruise, it was a simple one cabin booking, the TAs were not offering any perks, so I did the point and click thing when I saw the best price for the cabin we wanted on Carnival's site.

Most often, there is still a financial incentive for us to use a TA but if I had a better feel for the potential upgrade issue, I might approach it differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So what did we decide???

After doing the math and getting the cost of what this Suite would have actually been and realizing I was still ahead as well as the extra was affordable, I decided to go for it.

I have always wanted to have a room with a balcony. I'm not the type who thinks about how much time will I be spending in the room/cabin so that wasn't a factor. But now I will have the problem for future Cruises in deciding if I can go back to an Ocean view...:)