Disney Wonder on Webcam showing her being stripped

Ex techie

I am quite curious if they are actually repairing the hull because of the PC.

I have no idea honestly. I know that ships do get knocked around going through the docks, and it is outside and bare steel. I have no idea what height the picture is taken from.

The chain blocks could also just be there to hold the scaffolding to the ship?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I have no idea honestly. I know that ships do get knocked around going through the docks, and it is outside and bare steel. I have no idea what height the picture is taken from.

The chain blocks could also just be there to hold the scaffolding to the ship?

ex techie

It looks to be a portion below the waterline. You can see the slight curve of the hull going under towards the keel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It looks to be a portion below the waterline. You can see the slight curve of the hull going under towards the keel.

I agree. I'm sure the Wonder had a bad scrape on one transit if my memory serves me correctly.

It could be repairs to a sea chest as well?

ex techie

I agree. I'm sure the Wonder had a bad scrape on one transit if my memory serves me correctly.

It could be repairs to a sea chest as well?

ex techie

Quite the possibility. They may be using those to essentially "slam hammer" or use the pulleys to pull the hull flush again. I'm very curious about this picture! Lol

Edited by Tkerniroc1986

Quite the possibility. They may be using those to essentially "slam hammer" or use the pulleys to pull the hull flush again. I'm very curious about this picture! Lol

I am too, but I'm 99.9% sure they are not trying to straighten any damage to the hull. There is no way they could do that as the structural ribs internally would have to deform to allow the hull to be "caved in".

If it is repairs to the hull, then they cut and remove the old steel, repair the ribs and place the cut steel with a new piece.

Those blocks look around the 1 ton size so tiny, and the load chain is pretty much vertical. They are definitely hauling or holding something below the scaffold boards.

Curiouser and curiouser!

ex techie

I am too, but I'm 99.9% sure they are not trying to straighten any damage to the hull. There is no way they could do that as the structural ribs internally would have to deform to allow the hull to be "caved in".

If it is repairs to the hull, then they cut and remove the old steel, repair the ribs and place the cut steel with a new piece.

Those blocks look around the 1 ton size so tiny, and the load chain is pretty much vertical. They are definitely hauling or holding something below the scaffold boards.

Curiouser and curiouser!

ex techie

Hahaha agreed!

So I found an amazing picture that seems to now be removed from jesuscollants account, but an Instagram account chose to put their account name over, so it is slight cropped.

I think this could be where the tabs, chain blocks and scaffolding could be, rather than a hull repair. Supporting parts of the ducktail's side pieces.

No propellers, they must be off for refurbishment!

Ducktail.png

ex techie

When we were going through the canal we hit the sides a few times. The whole starboard side was scraped up here is a chunk of paint that was peeled back.

Yep. It happens on PC transits.

No real damage there though. Just a quick paint touch up in the next port!

ex techie

Curiouser and curiouser!

ex techie

Thanks for the Photos Buddy. I agreed. those light duty chain come alongs would not be able to pull the hull straight. If this was hull damage it is likely class would require replacement steel in any case and the steel visible looks new. My guess, what ever was the reason, the chain come alongs were used to just hang the plates in position for welding.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Curiouser and curiouser!

ex techie

Thanks for the Photos Buddy. I agreed. those light duty chain come alongs would not be able to pull the hull straight. If this was hull damage it is likely class would require replacement steel in any case and the steel visible looks new. My guess' date=' what ever was the reason, the chain come alongs were used to just hang the plates in position for welding.

AKK[/quote']

Actually, hull plating is frequently dented without deforming the internal structure around it. Frames and longitudinals may be 2-3 meters apart, and a dent can be made in between. However, dents of this nature are not commonly repaired unless there is a significantly sharp nature to the deformation, as it does not affect the strength of the hull. Even when frames are deformed, they frequently leave the dented plating, and just cut out the frame and "fair" or shape it to match the "new" profile of the plating.

Given that the ship looks to be "shoe horned" into the dock, my guess is that the chain falls are for stabilizer maintenance, as this is a case where you can't swing them out and use a crane for support.

Actually, hull plating is frequently dented without deforming the internal structure around it. Frames and longitudinals may be 2-3 meters apart, and a dent can be made in between. However, dents of this nature are not commonly repaired unless there is a significantly sharp nature to the deformation, as it does not affect the strength of the hull. Even when frames are deformed, they frequently leave the dented plating, and just cut out the frame and "fair" or shape it to match the "new" profile of the plating.

Given that the ship looks to be "shoe horned" into the dock, my guess is that the chain falls are for stabilizer maintenance, as this is a case where you can't swing them out and use a crane for support.

Hi Chief, good to see you!

I agree, often indents, not effecting the overall strength of the hull are not repaired. It all depends on the degree or damage.

I will add this, Class the last few years are getting more and more strict. Some odd dent you and I would look at and not think twice about leaving it as is or as you pointed out , some minor repair, Class is requiring full cutting and inserting.

For years Class when requiring certified steel/plate, would accept certified steel by one of the other major Class Societies. A few years ago, I had some hatch cover damages (shore side crane boom collapsed over 3 Hatch cover panels), that he surveyor wanted not only Lloyd's certified steel plate, they wanted it to come from a Lloyd's certified mill. This caused a 8 days delay in repair work. Class's do seem to be getting stricter.

AKK

Hi Chief' date=' good to see you!

I agree, often indents, not effecting the overall strength of the hull are not repaired. It all depends on the degree or damage.

I will add this, Class the last few years are getting more and more strict. Some odd dent you and I would look at and not think twice about leaving it as is or as you pointed out , some minor repair, Class is requiring full cutting and inserting.

For years Class when requiring certified steel/plate, would accept certified steel by one of the other major Class Societies. A few years ago, I had some hatch cover damages (shore side crane boom collapsed over 3 Hatch cover panels), that he surveyor wanted not only Lloyd's certified steel plate, they wanted it to come from a Lloyd's certified mill. This caused a 8 days delay in repair work. Class's do seem to be getting stricter.

AKK[/quote']

Hey, Skipper;

Yes, it all depends on the angle of indenting. A large dented plate with a relatively shallow angle can pass while a very small dent that is sharply indented will need repair.

Not real surprised that Lloyd's is getting stricter, given their pretty poor record of ships breaking up shortly after class survey!

As to DCL wanting ships to look good, it is also a cost thing, as replacing hull plating requires removal of the internal joinery to either back weld or provide fire watch, so some simple small repairs get real costly real quick.

That's what it looks like to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was told that there will be another shop up there. There is a small, almost a closet type shop, between the goofy and mickey pool. Part of the new deck is to offer a bigger pool side shop.

I was told that there will be another shop up there. There is a small, almost a closet type shop, between the goofy and mickey pool. Part of the new deck is to offer a bigger pool side shop.

On the Magic, that area between the two pools (previously unused) is where the soft serve ice cream is now.

Hi Chief!

Granted not EVERY dent could or will cause deformation of the ribs/frame. It would all depend on where and how hard, what caused the dent!

And the frames are closer together than 2-3 meters depending on where on the hull aren't they. I remember the deck A forward frames being around 6-8 foot apart in the void behind the wall of my cabin.

ex techie

And it could be 2 other things.....

A section of hull was cut out to remove and or install new equipment in the engineroom,

or piece of steel that has rusted enough to require replacement. (happened on the Magic)

Let's not forget the ship was built by Fincantieri, sorry Tincantieri!

ex techie

And it could be 2 other things.....

A section of hull was cut out to remove and or install new equipment in the engineroom,

or piece of steel that has rusted enough to require replacement. (happened on the Magic)

Let's not forget the ship was built by Fincantieri, sorry Tincantieri!

ex techie

A cut out section is indeed a possibility.....I was only on one ship in the shipyard when they did that. However usually they just reinsert the cut out part and weld her up!. This looks alot like new plate.

We really need to see where they are and what they are doing. EI more photos!... Right now we are guessing.

Maybe you could give the Captain a call and ask him to send us a dozen photos and copy of the work order? (OK...OK..... I am joking )

AKK

I knew DCL wouldn't spend the money on making a show like they did for the Magic. Wish they did! I like seeing those shows and how ships are built and outfitted. It's quite amazing! Hoping for more photos of the progress soon!

You never know. If the Wonder is getting something unique, they could do a few YouTube videos. It is likely she week get something unique to differentiate the ships to get people to want to cruise on the entire fleet.

You never know. If the Wonder is getting something unique, they could do a few YouTube videos. It is likely she week get something unique to differentiate the ships to get people to want to cruise on the entire fleet.

True, I'm sure there will be little snippets of videos on the enhancements, but not an hour long special like the Magic. At least there won't be an Aqua Dunk installed. From what I heard, it isn't used much on the Magic, and would pointless for the Wonder with her Alaska itineraries in the summer. Either way, she was the first Disney ship we were on, and can't wait to see her new features!