Did I read Grand Caymen is closed for ships ?

Hi

I just got done reading many reviews and topics . I just read on one of the them that they couldn't port in Grand Caymen . Is this true ? I hate to keep calling RCCL since I just called and changed my cabin today , oh and called yesterday too LOL :)

Grand Cayman is definitely OPEN for business, but it is a tender port, and sometimes due to weather or sea conditions, ships are not able to stop there. I was just there early last month, and it was wonderful. :)

Reports from Grand Cayman say that they received very little damage from Wilma and are definitely open for business. Out of three scheduled stops in GC, we've only made it once. Sea conditions the first time and post hurricane conditions last year kept us from either porting or tendering.

I just returned from a cruise aboard the NOS (10/22-10/29) and our second stop was supposed to be Grand Cayman and we were not able to stop there due to high swells. We ended up going to Montego Bay, Jamaica.

I was really disappointed that we were not able to stop in Grand Cayman. That was the one place I wanted to go to and swim with the stingrays!!!

RCI has changed our itinerary to GC and Jamaica on the Enchantment 11/21 cruise, previously Cozumel and Belize...........so if the ship cannot stop in GC, hope that does not mean another day at sea or 2 full days in Jamaica, where we did not want to go anyway. Since this is our first cruise, will RCI give us some type of "credit" if we originally had 3 ports and then could only end up with 1 port? Also, what happens to our privately booked shore excursions?

I am really starting to get worried.......any thoughts would be appreciated.

There is no compensation for missed ports. The cruise lines can change or drop ports as they deem necessary for the safety and/or comfort of the passengers. As previously mentioned, it is quite common not to be able to tender in Grand Cayman. Belize is also a tender port, and a long tender ride at that. I believe there was some damage from Wilma in Belize. If the port or surrounding areas have sustained damages, you probably would not be able to enjoy the area or book excursions for that port anyway. Don't worry about a first cruise. You should have a great time whatever your ports. And Jamaica is beautiful. I just suggest you book a ship shore excursioin if you go to Montego Bay. Also suggest you contact Peat Taylor for his extremely inexpensive and fun(and safe) tour in Ocho Rios. Go to the Jamaica board to find his e-mail.

There are several islands that have the stingray swim; we did it on a Tahiti cruise; the Caymans do have some of the clearest water for diving and scuba; hope you make it back.

Sandbag,

Which cruise did you do to Tahiti and did you post a review? We're looking at French polynesia for 2007.

Thanks!

bankofdad, we have been twice on the Paul Gauguin. It is defiitely worth a trip as they look after you very well. The excursions are very reasonable as well. Besides they have a couple of Motus ( private beaches) which you can visit

Out of four cruises that had Grand Cayman as a stop for us only two made it. The two that made the stop were during summer months (June) and the two that missed were Dec. & March. Rough water conditions at the port. As far as compensation for missed port, Carnival had free rum punch for 4 hours on pool deck, and Princess headed for Cozumel early. Both ships made it to Grand Cayman before making the call to skip the port.

Just got back Sat. from a week in GC. First part of the week we were getting winds & wave action from Wilma on the West & South side of the island that made the harbor unavailable....waves on SMB of 6 to 8 ft. and when they hit the breakers along the highway they would splash over the road along the waterfront. Folks on the island were getting concerned because no ships were coming in and food staples & supplies were getting low. Thursday, the winds shifted due to Beta and they started coming out of the Northeast. This calmed the waters on SMB & the harbor & 2 of the 8 Cruiseships scheduled that day were able to make it to Port. Friday one ship made it in and Sat. when we flew out, SMB was as calm as glass and many dive boats were out. One bad thing the winds messed with were conditions at Rum Point & Stingray City....they cancelled all trips there until Thursday. This week should be much better.

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

Just got back from a 9 day out of Bayonne. We were supposed to hit Grand Caymen on October 26th but instead had a sea day and then went to Nassau on a scheduled sea day. I missed the stingrays but i LOVED Nassua. Crew said water was too rocky.

Archived