.......idle jottings continued

CCHelp

Sorry to be bearer of troublesome news but report of a suspected case of Covid (by a preliminary test) to one passenger: SD1 returning to Barbados (from Union Islands in the Grenadines) with passengers returned to their cabins.

We wish all the best.

Edited by ho-hum
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ho-hum said:

Sorry to be bearer of troublesome news but report of a suspected case of Covid (by a preliminary test) to one passenger: SD1 returning to Barbados (from Union Islands in the Grenadines) with passengers returned to their cabins.

We wish all the best.

Likewise, Ho-Hum. 

We have a writer for Cruise Critic onboard the current sailing. Here's a link to our story. We'll be updating as we get more information. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5727/

Wishing everyone onboard well. 

Colleen

• Members

There's no way that someone from the transatlantic is the cause of this. They had been sailing together for 20 days at the point. Plus none of the crew have tested positive. It's got to be someone who embarked last Saturday. 

Here is our update from Sue Bryant who is onboard: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5732/

Edited by Cruise Critic Chris
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I just saw a news report that 5 passengers have now tested Positive for Covid. It was from the NY Slime, so may have to be verified.

I have heard from a source currently on board that 5 passengers have in fact tested positive.  They are part of a group traveling together that overnighted in Miami Friday before flying to Barbados.  They mentioned to other passengers earlier this week that they "had a good time" in Miami.  Apparently those testing positive have been taken by ambulance to a hospital in Bridgetown.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ctbjr1309 said:

I have heard from a source currently on board that 5 passengers have in fact tested positive.  They are part of a group traveling together that overnighted in Miami Friday before flying to Barbados.  They mentioned to other passengers earlier this week that they "had a good time" in Miami.  Apparently those testing positive have been taken by ambulance to a hospital in Bridgetown.

Thanks for the update ctbjr👍🏻

So sad for the crew and passengers. 😢

How inconsiderate of those Miami partying passengers😱

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctbjr1309 said:

It may be a speculation, but sadly that's how 5 inconsiderate people ruin the vacations of 50 other guests on board, the guests on the next cruise (including us), and possibly even many more down the line, depending on how the Bajan government reacts, and put the safety of both guests and crews at risk.

I do wish them a good recovery, but I only hope that "good time in Miami" was worth it to them.

We will absolutely continue to support Seadream in their effort, and rebook our back to back.

In the future, maybe they should require passengers to certify they kept social distancing practices for at least 72 hours before boarding, as a start to the "safe bubble", before allowing boarding, and use this situation to explain why.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Totally 💯 percent agree.  SD has done an awesome job, but I tell you, if it were me, I’d drill every passenger!  And make them sign something, just like I go now to PT for a broken elbow.  No one goes in without reporting where they’ve been!  

• Like 1

I also hope the best for SD but my first thought was those passengers had a better chance of being exposed on the airplanes than in a nice restaurant.  Most flights are nearly full these days and social distancing is impossible on an airplane anyway.  We go to local nice restaurants all the time and have not become ill.  Were they cramming into late night bars?  Who knows..

2 hours ago, ctbjr1309 said:

Following up on this, apparently only 1 passenger who tested positive has been sent to the hospital for observation.  I assume that the other 4 positives in the group are quarantined in their cabins.  A 6th passenger (presumably the final member of the group that overnighted in Miami) had an inconclusive test result and is awaiting the results of a second test.

The Captain hopes to allow those conclusively testing negative to leave their staterooms tomorrow and enjoy the yacht's facilities.

It appears as if SeaDream is doing everything possible to make the best of a very difficult situation.

Edited by ctbjr1309
  • Like 3

In my case (we were planning to sail Saturday) it would have been:  stayed home, stayed home, waved to the UPS guy, ordered Chinese delivery as fridge was empty, made up gift basket for the cat sitter, had small breakdown over which shoes to pack, drank far too much gin, threw out expired kefir,  ordered emergency shorts from Amazon after realizing quarantine was unkind, threw every piece of jewelry in a case in a horrific jumble, did video supervised COVID test, did contactless prescription pick up, stayed home, made ‘innovative’ dinner out of few remaining fresh foods, jumped on suitcase to close, got terrible phone call, drank far too much gin while contemplating unpacking.  

Um, probably more detail than was needed, but I’d have been happy to provide it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ho-hum said:

For another source of well informed and balanced onboard updates alongside Cruise Critics own onboard reports, Hum can personally vouch for these two amazing guys who have been scrupulously fair in their commenting and assessment of the situation, reporting in their wonderful “Geordie” (North East England) accent.

Their footage is amazing: especially the drone footage (which Hum witnessed being operated onboard the crossing): their photos especially of the crew are outstanding (especially Anna and Jonel).

For yachters and cruisers everywhere (who can understand “Geordie”, Hum respectfully suggests you to consider following “Cruising with Ben & David” on Facebook or YouTube 

Edited by ho-hum
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, southseas said:

In my case (we were planning to sail Saturday) it would have been:  stayed home, stayed home, waved to the UPS guy, ordered Chinese delivery as fridge was empty, made up gift basket for the cat sitter, had small breakdown over which shoes to pack, drank far too much gin, threw out expired kefir,  ordered emergency shorts from Amazon after realizing quarantine was unkind, threw every piece of jewelry in a case in a horrific jumble, did video supervised COVID test, did contactless prescription pick up, stayed home, made ‘innovative’ dinner out of few remaining fresh foods, jumped on suitcase to close, got terrible phone call, drank far too much gin while contemplating unpacking.  

Um, probably more detail than was needed, but I’d have been happy to provide it.

Saw a young man at the market this morning wearing a “hoodie” that said

”sh#$t happens”. Seems quite apropos of the current situation aboard Sea Dream.

Feel said for the crew, many of whom work so hard to support their

families in foreign lands ... and are away from them for extended periods.  
I think SD did everything possible to assure the safety of passengers and

crew but this pandemic doesn’t differentiate.  

Lets hope the promise of the vaccine on the horizon materializes quickly

and other mitigating medicines get wide distribution so we can soon

all return to a sense of normalcy ... and once again be with our friends

aboard our favorite yachts.

• Like 3

• Members

Our update this am: the total now is 7 positive cases. Five of them are within a group of six traveling together. The other two are a husband/wife. 

Everyone else onboard has now had two tests -- one with the ship equipment and the other by the Barbados authorities -- and is negative. 

We'll continue to update.....

• Like 1

Jim, since you’ve sailed SD a bunch, and ran ships yourself, are you familiar with SD’s HVAC system?  I’ve read that older ships typically use 100% outside air to ventilate cabins (good!), but some use the hallways as return ducts (bad in covid times).  How is SD set up?

Back in the bad old days when Regent allowed smoking in cabins I distinctly recall cigarette smoke billowing out from under the door of a nearby cabin nearly 24/7, that housed heavy smokers.  The hallway stank to high heaven, but we never smelled smoke in our cabin.  So it seems the Mariner, at least, used the 100% fresh air in, hallway out method.  That would be very bad for the crew if a bunch of pax with active covid were confined to their cabins.

Inquiring (geeky) minds want to know!

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Jim, since you’ve sailed SD a bunch, and ran ships yourself, are you familiar with SD’s HVAC system?  I’ve read that older ships typically use 100% outside air to ventilate cabins (good!), but some use the hallways as return ducts (bad in covid times).  How is SD set up?

Back in the bad old days when Regent allowed smoking in cabins I distinctly recall cigarette smoke billowing out from under the door of a nearby cabin nearly 24/7, that housed heavy smokers.  The hallway stank to high heaven, but we never smelled smoke in our cabin.  So it seems the Mariner, at least, used the 100% fresh air in, hallway out method.  That would be very bad for the crew if a bunch of pax with active covid were confined to their cabins.

Inquiring (geeky) minds want to know!

Haha, what did you put on your Wheaties this morning Ragnar?  You know my ship working days go back to the age of sail.  Lots of fresh air, no covid.  Heck no HIV,  AIDS, H1N1, Ebola, Swine Flu.  Not even Herpes.   Aaaah, the good ole days.  Only Consumption, Scurvy, and Syphillis.  But to your question, basically put you are right.  Hence the gap at the bottom of doors.  And you thought that was so they could easily slide your bill under the door.....  Some ships I have worked had fresh air piped in.  In others it was a blend of outside fresh and returned inside air.  Chengkp75 can provide detailed technical information if he is reading this as he is more current than I and is directly responsible for ventilating his ships.  But I make a better martini.....🍸

1 hour ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Our update this am: the total now is 7 positive cases. Five of them are within a group of six traveling together. The other two are a husband/wife. 

Everyone else onboard has now had two tests -- one with the ship equipment and the other by the Barbados authorities -- and is negative. 

We'll continue to update.....

Thankyou, much appreciated.

In another post from you, it’s mentioned that it’s believed the Covid clear passengers can fly out tomorrow.

Gosh !

Must be a relief for them and crew.

What will happen week after next (voyage cancelled for next week) ?

Edited by ho-hum