Upsold !!!

littlemeagain

Interesting idk what you have for a room, we were in a mini suite. That may have something to do with it.

I called Monday i didnt get anything from NCL. They offered 1000pp for the aft suite, 1500pp for 2 bedroom villa, and 2000 pp for owners suite. I really only wanted to spend 1000 total but could do 1500 at most so I declined. They only had 2 aft suites at that time.

I saw Wednesday a 3rd aft suite (which is what I wanted) opened up. I called they offered 750pp for the aft, 1000pp for 2 bedroom, and 1500pp for the owners suite.

I was going to decline and hold out for the infamous 500pp. After doing quick thinking and number crunching in my head I took the deal. I have enough NCL card rewards to cover most of that cost. I'm glad I did a couple hours later I checked and all the aft suites were gone.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for the info! Have a great cruise!

Yes, I have recently and will try to go through it this weekend. Hope to meet you at the meet and mingle.

sounds good some of us that have been chatting on the book of faces are planning to meet up in H2O for sail away If you are interested look for the Mardi Gras beads lol

For what it's worth: I'm a journalist, and called the upsell desk earlier this year and asked some questions (not for publication, just for fact-checking purposes.) The person I spoke with said not to call more than 30 days before sailaway if you're looking for an upsell to a haven suite. But she said they only do balcony/mini suite upsells 14 days out. There are only two people in that office, and they are getting overwhelmed with balcony requests before they've been opened for upselling. They keep track of how many times each person calls.

Thanks for sharing. No wonder I seldom get one.

I read about upsells and decided to see if I could get a good offer. I booked through a TA but called the upsell dept. at around 30 days out. They said they had nothing to offer me, and to call back the next week. The next week I knew there were mini-suites and penthouse suites suddenly available by doing a mock booking - on a 3rd party site, they didn't show up on RCI website. I called in again and again was told nothing available. So I contacted TA, told them what I was interested in and they at first didn't see the availability until I told them it was showing on a particular competitor's website. On Hold for quite some time and offered a MUCH better deal than expected. We ended up paying in total the standard balcony price for an aft penthouse suite (because we got such a deal originally for the balcony and then $400pp to upgrade) and somehow got all the perks from our original booking plus the suite perks.

So yes, you can call the upsell dept directly, or you can work with your TA to try and get you a great deal. My TA really wasn't experienced, but because she was in training had a highly experienced person using my request as a teaching tool. Had I gotten someone else I might not have gotten the great deal I did.

I would try to call beginning 30 days out simply because some cruises are more popular than others. On my Alaskan cruise, it was completely booked and "upsold" by 2 weeks out. If I had waited I would have been out of luck.

It is fun to try - good luck!

Please please please for others reading this thread - do not call until 2 weeks before your cruise. If you call too frequently or far in advance NCL will shut down the line (as they have before).

shut down the phone #?

but wont that affect all the cruises that sail in 2 weeks or less?

shut down the phone #?

but wont that affect all the cruises that sail in 2 weeks or less?

The upsell department traditionally sent prospective upsell offers via email (they still do.) So they contacted YOU. If they didn't, you weren't eligible.

In the past few years they have established this inbound phone number. I think the poster above was saying that if folks abuse the number by calling too frequently, too far in advance, etc. then they may shut down the INBOUND calls.

They would still make their OUTBOUND email offers - but you'd only have a chance at an upsell if you got one of those emails.