Anything Québec (Quebec) City....

Jolie_Cruiser

3 hours ago, 3dogmom said:

I booked Hotel Chateau Bellevue, 16 Dell Porte St. Hopefully we'll be good to go for checking in and getting out of town!

We will be staying there pre-cruise in October.  From what I understand you should enter the hotel from the rear entrance so you don't have to carry suitcases up a flight of stairs.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We will be in Quebec overnight on Arcadia in September (27/28th) and are both looking forward to it very much as it is on our 'bucket lists' 🙂

My mobility isn't great and I will have a lightweight electric wheelchair with me but cobbles are difficult. We are thinking of taking a tour for people with poor mobility that we have seen on Viator - but I would rather use a local company if possible (so that our money goes into the local economy). It does sound as if taxi might be the best way of getting around?

We are also waiting to hear about a 'gourmet' evening tour as the one advertised is not suitable for wheelchairs but the company are currently trying to put together something that would fit the criteria.

Just now, Slugsta said:

We will be in Quebec overnight on Arcadia in September (27/28th) and are both looking forward to it very much as it is on our 'bucket lists' 🙂

My mobility isn't great and I will have a lightweight electric wheelchair with me but cobbles are difficult. We are thinking of taking a tour for people with poor mobility that we have seen on Viator - but I would rather use a local company if possible (so that our money goes into the local economy). It does sound as if taxi might be the best way of getting around?

Viator is a broker they do not do the tours

they will hire a local  but you can google & find one  on your own  that way you can make sure you are getting what you want

JMO

• Like 1

Agree with the above; if you found the tour on Viator try simply Copying a sentence of the tour description then Pasting into a Google search - Viator are usually so lazy that they do not even change the tour provider's spiel, only alter reference numbers to one on their own system!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We are disembarking in Quebec on a Sunday in September.  Our flight home is not until 7 pm.  Changing to an earlier flight or even one the next day is cost prohibitive.  I'm trying to figure out how to avoid sitting in a small airport for several hours.  I saw on the port website that there is the ability to store one's luggage at the cruise terminal for a cost while one tours about Quebec City.   This seems to be the most cost effective way to kill time, even though we have been to Quebec City before and have seen many of the sights.  Does anyone have details on how secure this luggage storage is?  Are there individual lockers or is it one big room, with an agent?  I'm thinking mostly of electronic devices that one would normally keep in one's carry-on; I'd like to make sure those are secure or else we'll have to take them with us, if we use this service.  

I did get a quote from one company that would pick us up at the terminal with our luggage and tour us about the countryside but that was $875 plus tax and gratuity.  Too dear for us, I'm afraid.  The cruise line airport transfer could include a tour (of sights we have already seen) for $115USD, but would only kill four hours and would still get us to the airport at least six hours prior to our flight.  We will not have any lounge access at the airport, either.

Thanks for your help!

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:14 AM, Alberta Quilter said:

We are disembarking in Quebec on a Sunday in September.  Our flight home is not until 7 pm.  Changing to an earlier flight or even one the next day is cost prohibitive.  I'm trying to figure out how to avoid sitting in a small airport for several hours.  I saw on the port website that there is the ability to store one's luggage at the cruise terminal for a cost while one tours about Quebec City.   This seems to be the most cost effective way to kill time, even though we have been to Quebec City before and have seen many of the sights.  Does anyone have details on how secure this luggage storage is?  Are there individual lockers or is it one big room, with an agent?  I'm thinking mostly of electronic devices that one would normally keep in one's carry-on; I'd like to make sure those are secure or else we'll have to take them with us, if we use this service.  

I did get a quote from one company that would pick us up at the terminal with our luggage and tour us about the countryside but that was $875 plus tax and gratuity.  Too dear for us, I'm afraid.  The cruise line airport transfer could include a tour (of sights we have already seen) for $115USD, but would only kill four hours and would still get us to the airport at least six hours prior to our flight.  We will not have any lounge access at the airport, either.

Thanks for your help!

The airport is not that far. I would head over there in an Uber, check my luggage, then take an Uber back to do whatever you feel like.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at restaurants in the lower city and I noticed in sandwiches, or as an addition to your breakfast, or as an addition to poutine something being called 'smoked meat'.

Can someone tell me what kind of meat this is and maybe relate it taste wise to something eaten in the US??

Thanks for your help.

Oh my goodness, smoked meat! We were in Montreal for the first time last fall before our 14 day trip on HAL, and ate it pretty much every day. We're doing a similar 14 day on Celebrity this coming October, but only going as far as Quebec City, so I am happy to hear that there will be smoked meat there too. https://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/great-canadian-cookbook/blog/the-delicious-history-of-montreal-smoked-meat/

2 hours ago, kw@sea said:

Oh my goodness, smoked meat! We were in Montreal for the first time last fall before our 14 day trip on HAL, and ate it pretty much every day. We're doing a similar 14 day on Celebrity this coming October, but only going as far as Quebec City, so I am happy to hear that there will be smoked meat there too. https://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/great-canadian-cookbook/blog/the-delicious-history-of-montreal-smoked-meat/

You can even get Poutine topped with Smoked Meat, Pizza topped with Smoked Meat, Eggs Benedict over Smoked Meat...etc.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, asebastian said:

Hi, can the Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Sanctuary be reached on public transport from Quebec City? If so, please provide details.

Thanks

It's about 30-35 kms (20-22 miles) to get from the Port to Ste-Anne de Beaupré.

PLUMobile offers small bus service from Quebec City to the Basilica (as points before-after)...but the service is very limited.

http://www.plumobile.ca/index.php?lang=en

7 hours ago, p_mori7 said:

It's about 30-35 kms (20-22 miles) to get from the Port to Ste-Anne de Beaupré.

PLUMobile offers small bus service from Quebec City to the Basilica (as points before-after)...but the service is very limited.

http://www.plumobile.ca/index.php?lang=en

Will check it out. Thank you.

9 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

OK, I had to Google "Poutine", LOL!  Sounds like a heart attack on a plate.😂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

Recipe:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/poutine-recipe-1973715

You’re absolutely right. Poutine is junk food pure and simple, perhaps best enjoyed in the wee hours of the morning after a night of carousing. An exception might be the poutine au foie gras at Martin Picard’s Au Pied du Cochon in Montréal, but I still wouldn’t order it.

Edited by laverendrye

Questions for anyone who has boarded a cruise ship (Berth 22) in Quebec City.

It looks as if it could be a very long walk through the terminal and then up a long connecting, possibly steep, ramp to get on the ship.

Is that the case? We are mobility impaired and just trying to figure out if we should request wheelchair assist for embarkation when we enter the terminal.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:55 AM, cruiserdru said:

Questions for anyone who has boarded a cruise ship (Berth 22) in Quebec City.

It looks as if it could be a very long walk through the terminal and then up a long connecting, possibly steep, ramp to get on the ship.

Is that the case? We are mobility impaired and just trying to figure out if we should request wheelchair assist for embarkation when we enter the terminal.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Since you haven't had an answer yet, I'll chime in despite never boarding in Quebec - if you are even slightly concerned about your mobility then you should request the help! If on the day you're both feeling spry, arrive and see that the building is smaller than you thought/the gangplank isn't too steep it will be easy to cancel the help - but if you don't book it and do feel the need it'll be a major hassle trying to arrange it on the day.

And what if one of you trips over, sprains an ankle, or acquires some other even very-minor injury that doesn't stop you cruising but does further compromise your ability to walk or deal with your carry-on luggage? Play it safe!

On 7/9/2019 at 6:16 AM, laverendrye said:

You’re absolutely right. Poutine is junk food pure and simple, perhaps best enjoyed in the wee hours of the morning after a night of carousing. An exception might be the poutine au foie gras at Martin Picard’s Au Pied du Cochon in Montréal, but I still wouldn’t order it.

Oh man, now you've made me crave APDC's poutine! It is delicious - possibly the best interpretation of poutine anywhere, certainly the most self-indulgently-gluttonous. I usually order the Tarte Boudin as a main (with foie gras sliced on top) and opt for an extra appy rather than a side of poutine (always too many delicious appies to choose from) but next time I think I'll have to go poutine...

• 2 weeks later...

An extra day in Quebec city, what to do?

Hi,

Our cruise will overnight in Quebec, and we arrive at 9AM a day earlier. What's in my lists are the old town, waterfall, nightlife, and the NP.

I wonder where should we visit right after we get off the flight (it's red eye flight), and where should we visit after we embark? We plan to embark around noon the next day.

Also, should we rent a car or just take uber to hotel then bus to anywhere else? Car rental is really cheap but I don't know if it's easy to find parking space.

Thanks,

April

I would certainly include a visit and tour of La Citadelle, the vast fortress that dominates the city.  If you are there before Labour Day, you can attend the ceremonial Changing of the Guard by the Royal 22e Régiment in their scarlet tunics.  http://lacitadelle.qc.ca/en/.  

You might find a walk along the Promenade des Gouverneurs interesting.  It's a wooden boardwalk just below the ramparts of the Citadel that starts at the western end of the Dufferin Terrace and continues to the historic Plains of Abraham. I would caution that it includes 310 steps, and nearly all are up if you are starting from the Dufferin Terrace end, but there are some spectacular views of the river below along the way.

There are many other historical and cultural things to see, but it depends where your interests lie.  You could certainly spend a good amount of time wander through the upper and lower towns poking you nose in here and there.

I wouldn't bother with a car.  You certainly don't need it in the city and it will be a hindrance within the walls of the old city. Overnight parking would also be a problem if your hotel does not provide parking, whether free or not.  You can get to Montmorency Falls from the centre of the city by public transit, or a guided tour if you prefer. I'm not sure what you mean by NP.

Edited by laverendrye
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, laverendrye said:

I'm not sure what you mean by NP.

Thank you so much for all these useful information.

By NP I mean Jacque Cartier national park, is it worth visiting? I think we need to rent a car if we visit the NP, right?

Also, can you suggest some Franch restaurant and bakery that locals go?

Thanks again.

I think that Jacques Cartier Park would be a bit ambitious. You would really want at least a full day to take advantage of its hiking trails and other outdoor activities. 

It all depends on your priorities, but with your time available I would concentrate on the city with perhaps a side trip to Montmorency Falls. If you do want to spend a full day outside the city then I would recommend renting a car and visiting the falls, Ste-Anne de Beaupré, the Canyon Ste-Anne, and Île d’Orléans. 

As for French restaurants, of course they abound. I’m not sure if you are looking for a haute cuisine or bistro style restaurant.  If the former, then you might look at L’Initiale, Laurie Raphaël, or for a real splurge, Le Saint-Amour.  As for bistros, Le Continental, Le Cochon  Dingue and the Lapin Sauté are all long time favourites, but there are many to choose from.  If you want traditional Québecois cuisine, you can try Aux Anciens Canadiens or La Bûche, but I find the food very heavy especially at the latter. They are both very touristy if that’s what you are trying to avoid.  

The question of where “locals” eat is interesting.  Of course you will find loads of tourists at every restaurant in Old Québec and along Grande Allée, especially during the high season. If you want to avoid your fellow tourists but without venturing to the far suburbs, have a look at the trendy St-Roch district. I haven’t eaten there but the restaurant L’Affaire est Ketchup is well recommended. You’ll also find some good boulangeries there as well as on Rue St-Jean. Also on Rue St-Jean just outside the walls is J.A. Moisan, one of the oldest grocers in North American and a Mecca for food lovers.

I hope this is helpful 

• Like 1