Have you seen this?

Sparky74

DW sent me a link to

I also found

which gives a different perspective. Look carefully at the boat on the right hand side of the frame right at the end. There is movement on board which looks to me like people. SCARY!

Of course, there are as threads on the Carnival board. Look here and here for more details and discussion.

If a pilot is onboard the pilot is in control, but try convicting one well that's another story. GOing back many years we had a pilot on board the Mikael Lermontov which was driven over and through rocks resulting in the ship seeking with loss of life but the pilot got off.

Yes, it would have been. I wonder who is at fault, Harbour pilot or Captain or both.

i saw this cruise show on TV one night and the pilot was onboard the ship and they said the captain is in charge and he can over ride the pilot

i saw this cruise show on TV one night and the pilot was onboard the ship and they said the captain is in charge and he can over ride the pilot

Yes, the Captain is in charge but follows the Pilot's directions. They would only do over rule the pilot for the safety of the ship or the people aboard. If the Pilot's direction is to go at a certain speed, I cannot think why the Captain would override that by going faster, slower perhaps but not faster.

Edited by MicCanberra

The Captain is always responsible except in the Panama Canal.

On Cruise Ships the master takes the vessel off the berth.

In this case the wind looks like it played a part & the ship was set down onto the marina. The wash was from the propellers / azipods - not the thrusters.

Had they not used the power to get clear then the ship could have gone into the marina.

Insurance will pay - Ship Happens.

The Captain is always responsible except in the Panama Canal.

On Cruise Ships the master takes the vessel off the berth.

In this case the wind looks like it played a part & the ship was set down onto the marina. The wash was from the propellers / azipods - not the thrusters.

Had they not used the power to get clear then the ship could have gone into the marina.

Insurance will pay - Ship Happens.

Excellent summary of the relevant facts.

One of my groomsmen (Ex Navy bloke) was standing on his balcony enjoying a frothy when this all happened, he was too dumb struck to grab his video camera, besides doing so may have caused him to spill said frothy.

He says it seemed like they didn't back out far enough before they turned for open water, realising their error they made full noise on the azipod thus the resultant carnage.