Hotels in Waikiki

Goldfish

We're doing the NCL PoA in April next year and have been thinking of doing a 5 night pre-cruise stay in Honolulu. I've been looking at different websites regarding hotels and packages. We're thinking of either the Halekulani Oceanfront or the Hilton Hawaiin Village Ali'i Tower Ocean view room. Any opinions on these? Is there a better option out there?

Thanks!

If I had to pick between the Halekulani and the HHV, there'd be no contest - I'd pick the Halekulani any day of the week and twice on Sundays. The Halekulani is a 4-5 diamond resort. The HHV is a 3 diamond resort (ratings by AAA).

Spleen

Interesting. That was my first assumption after reading about the halekulani. I called to inquire about their pricing and availability and was made to wait over five minutes on the phone to then be greeted by someone who was obviously rushed and wanted me to either book the room or hang up quickly. I had a few questions and was made to feel I was bothering the woman on the phone. I hung up thinking she should be reprimanded for how I was spoken to and treated. I don't mind waiting a bit to speak to someone, but don't treat me like I'm bothering you when you finally pick up the phone.

It made me look elsewhere. Thus my question posted here. We're traveling with a ten year old and it seems that the halekulani is more geared toward adults. Am I wrong?

Thanks for your opinions!

We stayed pre-cruise at the HHV and it was standard Hilton as far as the room and the amenities. We were in the Diamond Head tower and it was fine. A nice balcony w/a minute view of Diamond Head but the combo ocean/grounds view was spectacular.

The grounds are beautiful and it is right on Wakikiki beach. If you don't want to eat at any of the restaurants there you can wander to the main drag and find anything you want. We were treated very well and the concierge service was extremely helpful. The had 2 nice pools that we saw and there were plenty of kids who seemed to be having a good time.

We stayed at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental Hotel which is about 5 miles outside of Waikiki past Diamond Head. You really need to hire a car if you want to get out and about, however, as far as we were concerned the hotel is simply the best.

Great for children as it is right on the beach, they also have a 'childrens club'. Dolphin encounter is an absolute must for children, although you need to book it in advance.

I'm still partial to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel (the pink hotel). For kids, the beach is right there, the mall right there, international market across the street, McDonalds, Liberty house, just about everything right there. The Outrigger Hotel is good too but i believe there is some construction going on in Waikiki. Check all the sites possible.

You're probably not wrong in assuming that the Halekulani is definitely geared more towards adults than children. Not sure what happened the day that you called - possibly someone was having a bad day? The times that I've called them, I've been treated with respect and care. Still think that you'd like it if you booked it but there are certainly other good options to look at. I would agree that with a 10 year old, you might want to consider the Kahala instead - having dolphins play outside your room's window is definitely an attraction for kids!

Spleen

The Outrigger Reef is on the beach and a wonderful hotel that won't break your budget.

Went there in '02, don't remember the rates though. They had wonderful amenities. The Shorebird restaurant is wonderful at the hotel. Surfing lessons right there, Scuba lessons at the pool, Hula lessons, Lei making classes. Great concierge and so on.

Photocruiser

Archived