Worth it to go to Playa Del Carmen for the day?

Bluewake

Too many people selling drugs for my taste

The poster may not like PdC, but we have also been offered drugs more than once in a single stroll down 5th, and on multiple trips. It's just annoying to be hissed at from the side of the street by seedy looking guys, when really what I'm looking for is a quick way to pick up a few cheap souvenirs and bottles of liquor for friends. The local shopping street back and over a few blocks is much more interesting.

The poster may not like PdC, but we have also been offered drugs more than once in a single stroll down 5th, and on multiple trips. It's just annoying to be hissed at from the side of the street by seedy looking guys, when really what I'm looking for is a quick way to pick up a few cheap souvenirs and bottles of liquor for friends. The local shopping street back and over a few blocks is much more interesting.

Actually I never said I didn't like PDC I was just describing it so the OPer can make their choice.

We've been offered pot a couple times in many, many visits to 5th Ave. I didn't say it doesn't happen, just no different than other tourist areas of the Carib. If you want to shop for cheap t-shirts and tequila you want to be in the south end where the barkers are hawking you (like in STT and other areas). Would recommend something other than that obviously as Playa has much more to offer...

We've been offered pot a couple times in many, many visits to 5th Ave. I didn't say it doesn't happen, just no different than other tourist areas of the Carib. If you want to shop for cheap t-shirts and tequila you want to be in the south end where the barkers are hawking you (like in STT and other areas). Would recommend something other than that obviously as Playa has much more to offer...

It has happened to us multiple times on every stroll down 5th on multiple trips. It is particularly annoying after spending weeks in other parts of the Yucatan where this has never occurred, nor has it in other parts of Mexico.

More to offer? Touristy restaurants full of partying drinkers, and beaches with loud rock music, not nearly as nice as those further south.

And yeah, Cuban music for dancing in a more local club, a great cowboy boot store, and some interesting clothes shopping in the local district.

What is the most visited spot on 5th ave in playa. what holds the most interest Playa or Coz?

The south end of 5th is the most visited, or touristy, it's all vendors and restaurants and bars and beach clubs. That is where you go to barter with the barkers who all have the same cheap t-shirts and souvenirs. The north end is more cosmopolitan and much nicer.

Obviously Playa is famous for 5th Ave, but that is a small part of an amazing town.

Which destination (Playa or Cozumel) is the most interesting to you depends on what you are interested in, both are amazing places. If you really want good resources check out locogringo and other similar sites.

[Yes as stated 5th Ave is a tourist Mecca and you can be offered drugs. New travelers who haven't done much research will be surprised at that, but I would not expect a seasoned traveler to be surprised or disturbed as it happens everywhere. We've been approached in most of the Carib ports, and we've been offered drugs in Tulum, Mahhual, Puerto Vallarta, and other areas of Mexico.

I just don't see that as something to deter the OP, or anyone else, from visiting.

Edited by blue_water

[Yes as stated 5th Ave is a tourist Mecca and you can be offered drugs. New travelers who haven't done much research will be surprised at that, but I would not expect a seasoned traveler to be surprised or disturbed as it happens everywhere. We've been approached in most of the Carib ports, and we've been offered drugs in Tulum, Mahhual, Puerto Vallarta, and other areas of Mexico.

I just don't see that as something to deter the OP, or anyone else, from visiting.

We are seasoned travelers, including to many off the path destinations, as well as popular ones. Nevertheless being offered drugs is not something we are accustomed to on our travels. It absolutely does not happen everywhere.

Maybe it should not "deter the OP, or anyone else, from visiting", but it certainly may disturb, detract from the experience, and cause a general lack of confidence in the safety of the area.

For Happysailing2 and others interested in visiting Playa for the day for the first time, there are some ideas in posts prior to Happysailings post, and you can get more information from sites devoted to the Riviera Maya as noted. We feel very safe there, if that is a concern, most residents and expats consider Q Roo (including Coz) to be one of the safest areas of Mexico. Understand that 5th Ave is a very busy section with an international vibe and many vendors looking for your business and you will be fine. We just returned and miss the gorgeous beaches. Yes there are beach clubs that cater to younger folks with EDM, but there are several on nicer beaches that are very quiet and have excellent beach amenities and food.

We feel very safe there, if that is a concern, most residents and expats consider Q Roo (including Coz) to be one of the safest areas of Mexico.

SURE. "one of the safest areas" in a country with areas rife with drug violence.

In Playa del Carmen:

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017/07/one-killed-two-wounded-in-another-playa-del-carmen-nightclub-shooting/

In Tulum:

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017/06/deadly-shooting-in-tulum-fifth-in-the-last-month/

and a local response:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/english/2017/06/28/businessmen-create-self-defense-organization-groups-quintana-roo

Yes this is everywhere, even in our small home town in the US. The limited violence in Playa (hardly rife) has not been directed at tourists, obviously that would crush the tourist economy they are so dependent on. You can learn more about these events through follow up news reports that had more facts. The Tulum incident I haven't studied but the situation there is very, very different due to land title issues.

I became an unintentional defender of Playa after Geeko's biased and sometimes crazy remarks, and I'm not saying the RM is free of any violence or someone on a corner offering you pot. But yes - we definitely DO feel safe walking the streets of Playa during the day, and 5th Ave in the evening. We do avoid the clubs at night since that is where the violence seems to be when it erupts. We're also usually in bed before they open :rolleyes: because we're getting up early for a new adventure.

But enough from me, the information I posted was simply to give folks ideas if they visited Playa from Coz for the day, simple, simple, simple. The savvy traveler can do more research on the positive and negative aspects of destinations they are considering and make informed decisions.

Thanks!;)