Muscat, Khasab and Abu Dhabi on your own.

Sunnytrip

We are cruising to these ports in January and were wondering if anyone has any tips on going it alone. Particularly getting from the port to the towns. Public transport, hop on hop off busses. Are there any trips where it is better to use the ships tours?

Edited by Sunnytrip

We are cruising to these ports in January and were wondering if anyone has any tips on going it alone. Particularly getting from the port to the towns. Public transport, hop on hop off busses. Are there any trips where it is better to use the ships tours?

You could do Muscat and Abu Dhabi on your own. In Muscat there will be a shuttle to take you to the port gate. From there, you are walking distance to the souk and along the beautiful seaside. If you like to walk, you could keep going and reach some smaller museums and the palace. I like the Bait al Zubair Museum. At the port gate in Muscat you can also get a taxi to take you to the Grand Mosque in the morning, but not on Friday. If you are staying overnight in Muscat, check to see if any performances are scheduled at the Royal Opera House.

Abu Dhabi, you could take a taxi to the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque which should not be missed. Also, soon the Louvre Abu Dhabi should be opening. Other options would be the F1 complex, the mangroves, tea at Emirates Palace Hotel, the Falcon Hospital,Heritage Area, and of course shopping. There is a HOHO bus or you could use a taxi. Abu Dhabi is very spread out.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Abu-Dhabi/Big-Bus-Abu-Dhabi-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tour-Including-Yas-Island-and-Sky-Tower/d4474-2624ABUDHABIHOP

http://mail.nationaltaxi.ae/web/auh/

Khasab you will want to have something planned. Either on your own or a ship tour. Perhaps a dhow cruise with snorkeling. It is very scenic.

http://khourshemtours.com/

Edited by lilybob
correction

You could do Muscat and Abu Dhabi on your own. In Muscat there will be a shuttle to take you to the port gate. From there, you are walking distance to the souk and along the beautiful seaside. If you like to walk, you could keep going and reach some smaller museums and the palace. I like the Bait al Zubair Museum. At the port gate in Muscat you can also get a taxi to take you to the Grand Mosque in the morning, but not on Friday. If you are staying overnight in Muscat, check to see if any performances are scheduled at the Royal Opera House.

Abu Dhabi, you could take a taxi to the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque which should not be missed. Also, soon the Louvre Abu Dhabi should be opening. Other options would be the F1 complex, the mangroves, tea at Emirates Palace Hotel, the Falcon Hospital,Heritage Area, and of course shopping. There is a HOHO bus or you could use a taxi. Abu Dhabi is very spread out.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Abu-Dhabi/Big-Bus-Abu-Dhabi-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tour-Including-Yas-Island-and-Sky-Tower/d4474-2624ABUDHABIHOP

http://mail.nationaltaxi.ae/web/auh/

Khasab you will want to have something planned. Either on your own or a ship tour. Perhaps a dhow cruise with snorkeling. It is very scenic.

http://khourshemtours.com/

Thank you for the advice. I will be reading up on this but that is a good place to start.

Lilybob has given you some great ideas and like her I just love the Emirates (my son and his family are based in Dubai). I have done the cruise from Dubai three times already and will be sailing from there again in Dec on MSC Fantasia.

If you would like to check out my reviews these can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=217006

(RCI Serenade of the Seas)

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=253499

(MSC Lirica)

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=273028

I agree that the mosque in Abu Dhabi is a MUST see and the Emirates Palace is worth a visit. In Khasab the Dhow Dolphin Cruise is very interesting and you will find a link in my review for this - do book in advance though as it is very popular.

Good Luck with your plans.

Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...
What is the weather like in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Muscat and Khasab mid December please and will sea be calm?! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Weather is great in December. Highs in the 70's and lows in 60's F (26 down to 15 C) and you can count on plenty of sunshine. My experience has been calm seas but weather is never a sure thing. Enjoy:)

I spent some time in UAE and Oman a few years ago, flew into Dubai and rented a car. Didn't get to Abu Dhabi but saw Fujairah and Al Ain on the way to/from Oman, and of course Dubai. In Oman, the nicest area is Nizwa, the town is interesting with the fort but in the area are two spectacular mountain drives, Jebel Shams and Jebel Akhdar. Jebel Akhdar has traditional terraced villages perched at the top, connected with walking paths. Many call the area the Grand Canyon of the Middle East but reminded me more of Cinque Terre in Italy but without a sea view. The road leading up to it requires 4wd, although it's paved the whole way but is steep. There is a checkpoint to ensure your vehicle is proper and you need your passport. Other than the formalities, its not a difficult drive at all, we had no troubles. You could rent a vehicle in Muscat, it's about a 90 minute drive to Nizwa area or hire a vehicle with driver and tour guide. Also in the Nizwa area are ruins of some old mud brick villages that are fascinating, gives you a glimpse of how people lived as recently as the last century, Oman was rapidly modernized in the past 45 years by Sultan Qaboos.

Edited by Rustybuttons123

Sounds perfect especially escaping the UK in Dec!

Have you booked yet for Dec? My family and I are on Fantasia 17th Dec from Dubai. Am lucky to have son and family based in Dubai so I will be spending five weeks out there in total. Great to escape winter weather in the U.K. - temperatures are great in Dubai in Dec - on one visit it reached 32C!

On Skype with son yesterday and it was 38C whilst here in Bristol is was just 12C. Roll on 7th Dec when I leave for my trip.

Good luck with your plans.

Suzanne (Bristol U.K.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We will be a party of 4 adults on MSC Fantasia in March, visiting Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat and a couple of other stops. We will probably taxi it about the main sights, Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall, Sheik Zayed Mosque in Abu D. etc. While I gather that taxis are reasonable, my question is: Should we hire the taxis trip by trip in these cities or would it be worth it to hire taxi for a, say, 4 hour period? I am interested in this based on price, availability at the sights etc. Many thanks for your help. Ken

Hi all,

We will be a party of 4 adults on MSC Fantasia in March, visiting Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat and a couple of other stops. We will probably taxi it about the main sights, Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall, Sheik Zayed Mosque in Abu D. etc. While I gather that taxis are reasonable, my question is: Should we hire the taxis trip by trip in these cities or would it be worth it to hire taxi for a, say, 4 hour period? I am interested in this based on price, availability at the sights etc. Many thanks for your help. Ken

For Dubai, I would hire a taxi per trip. Dubai Mall, Burj Khalifa and Dubai Fountains are all in the same area so you can walk between them. You could also easily use Metro between the Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates where the indoor ski slope is located. From MOE it would be a short taxi ride to visit Burj al Arab. To gain access onto the property you need a reservation with minimum spend for a drink or High Tea at the Sky View Bar...expensive but worth it for something special. Or while in that neighborhood, visit the beautiful surrounding area of Madinat Jumeirah with great photo ops of the iconic Burj al Arab. You could also take a taxi to visit the creek area of Dubai where the traditional type souks as well as the Cultural Center for Understanding are located.

Abu Dhabi might be good to hire a taxi for a block of time to visit the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque, Emirates Palace Hotel, and the beautiful corniche.

Muscat I would hire a taxi for a block of time especially if you want to visit the Opera House or the Mosque.

http://muscat-taxi.com/

Have spent ages researching but cannot find any info on how to get to the nearest metro from the cruise ship. Would appreciate any info on

1) once off the ship how do you get out of the port area

2) if there is a shuttle - where does it drop you

3) what and where is the nearest metro and bus stop from where the shuttle drops off

4) how far is it walking

Many thanks - any info will be much appreciated

Leaving Dubai on Dec 20n Seaborn Encore with several ports in India. What is the best way to find people to share tours.? Is it east to get from the port to tours that pick you up at a hotel instead of the port.

Connect with other people on your specific sailing via CC Roll Call to join or look for people to join you on a tour. Check with the tour company and see if they will meet your group at the port where your ship will dock instead of a hotel.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2179657

• 4 weeks later...
Have you booked yet for Dec? My family and I are on Fantasia 17th Dec from Dubai. Am lucky to have son and family based in Dubai so I will be spending five weeks out there in total. Great to escape winter weather in the U.K. - temperatures are great in Dubai in Dec - on one visit it reached 32C!

On Skype with son yesterday and it was 38C whilst here in Bristol is was just 12C. Roll on 7th Dec when I leave for my trip.

Good luck with your plans.

Suzanne (Bristol U.K.)

Hi Suzanne, not long now before you go to sunny climes! You are very lucky indeed to be spending 5 weeks in Dubai!

Any temperature above -3 would be good right now! I'm rather in a muddle RE packing however. In Spain in winter even if weather is warm the locals dress in autumn/winter fashion clothes and not the usual summer attire. Is this the same in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Oman? I don't want to look a complete idiot abroad!!

Does anyone know how much time you should plan to get from Dubai Mall metro station to the entrance of Burj Khalifa?

It is about a 15 minute walk from the Dubai Metro Station to the Burj Khalifa entrance for "At the Top" which is located at the LG level of Dubai Mall. The bridge connecting the two is fully enclosed, has moving walkways like at airports, and has a/c. As you enter the mall, you will be on level 2 so it is just a matter of taking the escalators down to the bottom level. If you are going to one of the restaurants, entrance is through the Armani Hotel and probably easiest to take a taxi as it would be a long uphill walk up their driveway to the Armani lobby entrance in BK.

It is about a 15 minute walk from the Dubai Metro Station to the Burj Khalifa entrance for "At the Top" which is located at the LG level of Dubai Mall. The bridge connecting the two is fully enclosed, has moving walkways like at airports, and has a/c. As you enter the mall, you will be on level 2 so it is just a matter of taking the escalators down to the bottom level. If you are going to one of the restaurants, entrance is through the Armani Hotel and probably easiest to take a taxi as it would be a long uphill walk up their driveway to the Armani lobby entrance in BK.

Wow, thank you very much for your quick and detailed reply!

Hi Suzanne, not long now before you go to sunny climes! You are very lucky indeed to be spending 5 weeks in Dubai!

Any temperature above -3 would be good right now! I'm rather in a muddle RE packing however. In Spain in winter even if weather is warm the locals dress in autumn/winter fashion clothes and not the usual summer attire. Is this the same in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Oman? I don't want to look a complete idiot abroad!!

Summer clothes are fine but do dress conservatively, especially when visiting mosques and the malls. Ladies must have head, arms and shoulders covered at the mosques and men should wear long trousers and a shirt. Shorts are not widely accepted - cropped trousers for ladies are OK and long short fine for men.

I tend to wear t-shirts that have a small sleeve - nothing sleeveless - and tend to wear skirts most of the time as it can be very hot even in Dec when I will be out there. Son and his family are based there and on Skype today they said it was 32c but they have had some dense fogs for a couple of mornings which cleared quite quickly but it caused some disruption with flight departures.

Hope your plans go well. I fly out on 7th. Have done my packing and it is good I have 40kgs allowance as I have had 5 Amazon deliveries which were mainly Lego for the twin grandsons, along with lots of items they find hard to get/are very expensive out there.

Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...
What is the weather like in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Muscat and Khasab mid December please and will sea be calm?! Thank you

We just got back from the Constellation and had perfect weather and calm seas except for Khasab. Winds came up and Captain decided not to try to enter port.

Have spent ages researching but cannot find any info on how to get to the nearest metro from the cruise ship. Would appreciate any info on

1) once off the ship how do you get out of the port area

2) if there is a shuttle - where does it drop you

3) what and where is the nearest metro and bus stop from where the shuttle drops off

4) how far is it walking

Many thanks - any info will be much appreciated

We just got off the Constellation and there was a free shuttle every 30 minutes that took you to the Dubai Mall. There were also cabs that were reasonable, there is a surcharge of 20 dirham if picked up at the port. We paid 36 dirham to the Dubai Mall once when we had just missed the shuttle. Only 15 coming back to port.

lilybob gives a good description of how far the metro stop is from the Mall. If you plan to use the metro more than once or twice in a day, get the Red All Day pass.