Scenic Eclipse

russg140

The baggage restriction on cruises to Antarctica from Ushuaia is the same for all cruise lines.It is due to the planes flying in and out of Ushuaia Here is a thread from the Silversea board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2568749.

I know Ponant have the same restrictions.

The team on board for the Antarctica cruises should be first rate.The person in charge of the Expedition staff is Kara Weller from Silversea.She is very experienced with cruising in Antarctica and a lovely person as well.Scenic has a few short videos on youtube with Kara.One here-

They certainly are getting some experienced people into management positions for the Eclipse.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/scenic-appoints-four-key-staff-for-scenic-eclipse-debut.html

So we are looking forward to our cruise.We never book a cruise in a brand new ship so our cruise is in August 2019 from Iceland to quebec.

Scenic Tours!!!!! It is great to see you are on this board. You will see a number of people are getting quite anxious about the Scenic Eclipse. I think this is mainly due to the lack of information/conflicting information currently available. Your timely responses here will be most appreciated I am sure.

Indeed it is good to see someone from Scenic is actually reading these posts. It's the first place I would look if I wanted to know how our future passengers are viewing our customer service. Good sign.(yn)(yn)

DearAnnOther1,

There are certain restrictions we must abide by such as the luggage limitations to meet the airfare conditions.

Best wishes,

The Scenic Team

Hello Scenic Team. Hoping you can give a definitive answer on this to ease many of our minds. For non-Antartica sailings on the Eclipse, or in other words, Eclipse sailings that represent a "standard" experience and do not have special requirements (i.e. a Mediterranean voyage)...are guests still limited to 1 suitcase at 42 lbs?

If Scenic as you say quoted above, is abiding by airline luggage allowances, many airlines for international flights allow 2 checked pieces of luggage. So will we then be allowed to bring 2 suitcases onboard per person?

It's understandable for Scenic River Cruises to have the 1-suitcase luggage limitation due to the extremely small size of the vessels. However as the Eclipse is an ocean-vessel representing a more typical luxury ocean cruise experience, most of us expected that luggage allowance to be more generous, as the spacial limitations would not be an issue.

Would appreciate any clarity you can provide on the matter.

Hello Scenic Team. Hoping you can give a definitive answer on this to ease many of our minds. For non-Antartica sailings on the Eclipse, or in other words, Eclipse sailings that represent a "standard" experience and do not have special requirements (i.e. a Mediterranean voyage)...are guests still limited to 1 suitcase at 42 lbs?

If Scenic as you say quoted above, is abiding by airline luggage allowances, many airlines for international flights allow 2 checked pieces of luggage. So will we then be allowed to bring 2 suitcases onboard per person?

It's understandable for Scenic River Cruises to have the 1-suitcase luggage limitation due to the extremely small size of the vessels. However as the Eclipse is an ocean-vessel representing a more typical luxury ocean cruise experience, most of us expected that luggage allowance to be more generous, as the spacial limitations would not be an issue.

Would appreciate any clarity you can provide on the matter.

Well put Miami, looking forward to Scenic's answer.

And let's hope that Scenic's response to the luggage question is the same as I received from their Sydney office (at post 50)! I am fairly certain that if they insist on only one suitcase per person on a "normal" cruise, there will be much agitation (and non compliance)! Passengers used to luxury ocean cruise lines expect to take whatever luggage they choose, and many take 2 suitcases per person, particularly for longer cruises.

thanks to all of you who have pursued this issue. will look forward to hearing an answer. Have not checked into this board for a while and did not know this was problem. We are really looking forward to the crossing in September and hope Scenic has their act together and all who are traveling have a wonderful time. Has anyone had an answer to the "dress code"? We were hoping that "country club casual" would be fine. Bob likes to wear nice slacks and a good shirt for dinner.

thanks to all of you who have pursued this issue. will look forward to hearing an answer. Have not checked into this board for a while and did not know this was problem. We are really looking forward to the crossing in September and hope Scenic has their act together and all who are traveling have a wonderful time. Has anyone had an answer to the "dress code"? We were hoping that "country club casual" would be fine. Bob likes to wear nice slacks and a good shirt for dinner.

Haven't really heard much about anything. Massive terms and conditions for Scenic. Nothing for passengers.

Those cruising in August should at least know something by now I would think.

I am sorry to say I have just found out that the Scenic Eclipse launch date has been delayed due to problems in the shipyard. Looks like it will be late January 2019 before the first cruise will happen. Full refunds will be offered as well as discounts off a future booking (in Australia anyway) and compensation for lost flights etc. Talk to your travel agent or ring Scenic direct.

I am sorry to say I have just found out that the Scenic Eclipse launch date has been delayed due to problems in the shipyard. Looks like it will be late January 2019 before the first cruise will happen. Full refunds will be offered as well as discounts off a future booking (in Australia anyway) and compensation for lost flights etc. Talk to your travel agent or ring Scenic direct.

Thank you for this information. Seems odd as last week it was on schedule and they had no issue taking our final

payment for an October sailing. I will follow up with our TA tomorrow.

Dear cruising kirby,

We can confirm that the launch of Scenic Eclipse, the World’sFirst Discovery Yacht, has been delayed until late January 2019due to construction issues within the shipyard. We apologise to affected guestsfor the inconvenience caused and can confirm that Scenic will provide a fullrefund for the cost of cancelled Scenic Eclipse cruises for all guests. Scenicwill be contacting everyone affected by the delay as a matter of priority andwill be managed in order of impacted sailing date.

Best regards,

The Scenic Team

I just got told that our leg has been cancelled

one word

Dear 41Rainbow,

We can confirm that the launch of Scenic Eclipse, the World’sFirst Discovery Yacht, has been delayed until late January 2019due to construction issues within the shipyard. We apologise to affected guestsfor the inconvenience caused and can confirm that Scenic will provide a fullrefund for the cost of cancelled Scenic Eclipse cruises for all guests.

Best regards,

The Scenic Team

Thank you for this information. Seems odd as last week it was on schedule and they had no issue taking our final

payment for an October sailing. I will follow up with our TA tomorrow.

Dear Cancun01,

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay of Scenic Eclipse which was caused by construction issues within the shipyard. Unfortunately the nature of ship construction is such that the delay was unforeseeable. Despite the best efforts of our Scenic Eclipse Build Supervision Team to make up construction time, we are not prepared to compromise the quality of the vessel and potentially impact guest experiences to meet the original late August launch date. We will provide guests with a full refund for the cost of their Scenic Eclipse cruise and consideration of any other reasonable associated costs incurred with travel plans.

Best regards,

The Scenic Team

We had booked our own business class flights from UK for the Panama Canal cruise plus a 3 day pre cruise break in Miami Beach. They had better be included as reasonable additional costs as it is not covered by our travel insurance 😡

not feeling confident right now. my travel agent phoned Scenic this morning and was told to wait for a call back on how this would be resolved. We have re-deposit fees for our airline miles and sure hope they will be covered. The cost of travel insurance is another cost most of us have incurred. I am not sure Scenic will make any of us Whole. As a customer this is not my fault. It should not cost me. I should be assured by someone that all will be well. Not feeling the love here. Come on Scenic, let us know what you will pay for and make us feel like right now we are a #1 priority for you. You have our money and all we have is a cancelled vacation.

Is anyone else having issue rebooking? They have zero availability for our Antartica this year and can only put us on over a year from our original sailing that canceled for January. The 25% discount is a joke. We have been booked on this since Feb 2016 and with 25% discount on the current rates we will have to pay MORE to be delayed over a year. Not at all acceptable customer service recovery.

Not sure if a full refund, with a 25% off future cruise at Full Fair and must be booked by November this year is unacceptable. Some cruise lines offer much much more than what Scenic is offering.

I was looking forward to my cruise that has been canceled and have spent much time setting aside time,planning and arranging my trip.

Will see how this turns out it’s just day one.

Not sure if a full refund, with a 25% off future cruise at Full Fair and must be booked by November this year is unacceptable. Some cruise lines offer much much more than what Scenic is offering.

I was looking forward to my cruise that has been canceled and have spent much time setting aside time,planning and arranging my trip.

Will see how this turns out it’s just day one.

Assume you meant ACCEPTABLE?

I booked an "early booking discount fare" on my Scenic cruise and paid IN FULL in November 2017. To re-book, I am faced with the unacceptable situation of having to book a DIFFERENT ITINERARY on a MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE CRUISE, on the FULL FARE (and I have to decide and commit to all of that by November 2018).

The 25% discount is well short of adequate compensation.

I hope Scenic works collaboratively with all booked guests to resolve this situation quickly.

GRA

I feel your pain also on your canceled trip to Antarctica. Your anticipation and planning is almost as fun as taking the cruise. Now to wait again for a long period of time is not compensated.

To answer you: A full refund is acceptable but a discount on a future cruise booked by November 2018 at a 25% discount off full fair prices is not acceptable.

this cruise ship was set to sail on its maiden voyage in less than 2 months and today they tell us.

It must be our fault for not noticing any updates of videos of the Eclipse progress.

I agree that 25% off full fare is NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!! they need to entice us to re-book and this does NOT do it. the sailings are all much more expensive then the crossing we had signed up for. We should be able to book something that is at least 25% less per day then we had booked before. We have to arrange air and land for another trip and schedule our lives to fit it in.

I hope they amend the offer so that we will be interested in sailing with them. that is just my 2 cents worth.

I agree that 25% off full fare is NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!! they need to entice us to re-book and this does NOT do it. the sailings are all much more expensive then the crossing we had signed up for. We should be able to book something that is at least 25% less per day then we had booked before. We have to arrange air and land for another trip and schedule our lives to fit it in.

I hope they amend the offer so that we will be interested in sailing with them. that is just my 2 cents worth.

We have sailed with them before, are doing the Mekong in Sep (if it wasn’t so close I might cancel), and have a group booked in Europe for Dec 2019. If they don’t make this right we will cancel what we can and take our business elsewhere. Can’t imagune our travel agent will ever recommend them either.

Is anyone else having issue rebooking? They have zero availability for our Antartica this year and can only put us on over a year from our original sailing that canceled for January. The 25% discount is a joke. We have been booked on this since Feb 2016 and with 25% discount on the current rates we will have to pay MORE to be delayed over a year. Not at all acceptable customer service recovery.

GRA I did Antarctica with Seabourn two years ago and absolutely loved it. Their itineraries are from Buenos Aires to Santiago, or reverse,and include about 6 days in Antarctica with landings, zodiac trips, kayaks etc. A brilliant expedition team on board. If you look on the Seabourn website you will see they have specials on for the Dec 18/ Feb 19 season, you might find something you can do around the original dates you had planned?

We had booked our own business class flights from UK for the Panama Canal cruise plus a 3 day pre cruise break in Miami Beach. They had better be included as reasonable additional costs as it is not covered by our travel insurance 😡

Dear salbags,

We recognise the inconvenience this will cause you and will provide you with a full refund for the cost of your Scenic Eclipse cruise and consideration of any other reasonable associated costs incurred with your travel plans.

You will be contacted as a matter of priority by your travel agent to assist in amending your travel arrangements.

Best wishes,

The Scenic Team

not feeling confident right now. my travel agent phoned Scenic this morning and was told to wait for a call back on how this would be resolved. We have re-deposit fees for our airline miles and sure hope they will be covered. The cost of travel insurance is another cost most of us have incurred. I am not sure Scenic will make any of us Whole. As a customer this is not my fault. It should not cost me. I should be assured by someone that all will be well. Not feeling the love here. Come on Scenic, let us know what you will pay for and make us feel like right now we are a #1 priority for you. You have our money and all we have is a cancelled vacation.

Dear sharon2975,

We sincerely apologise for this delay and share your disappointment. We have committed to providing a full refund for the cost of your Scenic Eclipse cruise and consideration of any other reasonable associated costs incurred with travel plans. We are contacting all travel agents with clients affected by the delay as a matter of priority - this is being managed in order of impacted sailing date. You will be contacted as a matter of priority by your travel agent to assist in amending your travel arrangements.

Best wishes,

The Scenic Team