Memorable Restaurants Where We Have Dined Around the World

SnoBirdCruiser

• 11 months later...

Alaska Fish & Chips Company in Juneau, Alaska:  fine dining?  No.  A very tourist casual ambiance?  Yes.  Service?  Good.  The best Halibut and Chips I have ever eaten.  And, located just in the building at the start of the cruise ship piers in Juneau.  

Memorable.

Jules Verne ((Eiffel Tower) for sheer pzazzz. A complete rip off but Mrs B had a splendid birthday meal. A wonderful occasion.

Harbour Cafe in Capetown. Just for the excellent seafood.

For a unique reason. Some scruffy cafe in Antwerp ... a wonderful steak with a superb green peppercorn sauce .... from a horse ... the meat that is, not the green stuff😁

Never say never 😎

Fall Foliage Cruises...
How about the restaurants of Montreal...foodie paradise!  You can find any type of food you want in Montreal.  I have had every type of meal imaginable.  Highlights run from seafood, cuisine Francaise, cuisine Québécois and all the ethnic varieties.  Some of my highlights include Belgian snails...fresh from the vineyards in October.  The snails lie on the grape leafs and you can taste the grapes.  The snails are diced up with mushrooms and onions then sautéed in olive oil and Chablis with garlic and seasoning...served with crusty French bread for dipping and a glass of chilled Chablis...superb.  A simple smoked meat sandwich on light rye with Swiss cheese and German deli mustard...to die for.  Montreal is the place for outrageously great food.  A second best on the same cruise itinerary would be Portland, Maine for all types of cuisine.  The best is all the fresh seafood.  I have a standing rule...I want my seafood to come from Maine.  Some of the best seafood restaurants in the USA are from Maine and many of them are in Portland.  

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Fall Foliage Cruises...
How about the restaurants of Montreal...foodie paradise!

Stop it!  You are making me hungry!  😃

Only have been to Montreal twice and have limited experience with their cuisine.  My most recent visit to Montreal was 10 years ago where the both days I was there it rained and discouraged me from venturing too far afield.  One evening I dined at the specialty restaurant within my hotel, the Queen Elizabeth, (the name of the restaurant is not remembered), but the cuisine was French/Quebec cuisine and whatever I ordered was delicious.  Service was quite formal, but not as formal as dinner at Broussard's in New Orleans.  The other evening, I discovered The Keg which was within walking distance with an umbrella without getting soaked.  An excellent steak dinner and always plan to patronize others of the chain when I am in a Canadian city.     

Prince Edward Island was a port that the Maasdam visited and allowed me to dine on some P.E.I. Mussels!  Delicious!  I have been able to get some of these in a few local upscale seafood restaurants.  They are still good, but not quite as good as what I had that afternoon on P.E.I.

RK, sounds like you might have dined in the Beaver Club at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel.  
When we get back to normal I will steer you in the right direction.  We’ll start with dinner in the Yacht Club and go from there! 😉

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

The Beaver Club!  Yes, that was the name of the restaurant.

Having enjoyed cuisine in the Yacht Club, I look forward to further direction to epicurean delights.

The service aspect of my dining experience is important to me.  

Mentioning a restaurant chain such as The Keg in the same post as Broussard's or the Beaver Club may seem odd, the service I received at Broussard's was excessively formal, almost, for me, to be uncomfortable.  The steak and sides were excellent as was the service at The Keg.  

The service at Todd English on QE2 was pretentious with average cuisine.  It varies so much that I can't make a statement about the service and cuisine on HAL's Pinnacle Grill Restaurants.  Recently, both have been very good/excellent.  In the past, it was a crap shoot.  Rudi's Sel de Mer, both as the stand alone as well as the two pop-ups that I have patronized, have  been perfect--for me--for both cuisine and service.  Not a lot of experience dining in the Steakhouses on the Carnival ships, but the cuisine, the service, even the wine service have not disappointed.  

Princess' Crown Grill Restaurants:  the ones that I have patronized have been underwhelming in service and cuisine.  However, their specialty Italian restaurants are a different story.  Even the no-charge Alfredo's on the Royal Class ships and as a pop-up on Coral Princess met my expectations as to what they offered in cuisine and service for such an operation.  

I enjoy trying different venues.  I am also the type of person that enjoys an occasional Big Mac or a Swiss Miss Sandwich from a Big Boy type restaurant.  

RK, you have had a myriad of dining experiences.  I agree with you on Princess steak venue.  It seemed like an afterthought...no atmosphere and nothing special.  Surprisingly the steak was pretty good.  I’d give the meat an 85.  

Dreaming of these cruise venues seems so far off at this point.  One wonders if we’ll ever get there again...sighhhhh.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RK, you have had a myriad of dining experiences. 

Never really thought about your comment, but, you are right.  I have had many different types of dining experiences.  Maybe due to the experiences that I had being raised.  My Mother was the same type of person that I am.  Perfectly satisfied with no-frills, good food through the most high-end experience that I remember that my Brother and I experienced with her:  the Rainbow Room in New York City.  That was the same trip when we had lunch at Fraunces Tavern.  When we arrived (this was Summer), my brother and I wore short sleeve shirts--don't remember if we had long pants or not; probably not.  No jackets;  jackets were required for gentlemen;  we were given jackets to wear that permitted us to dine at the Tavern.  

One might wonder why we, tourists, would choose to lunch there.  I had become very interested in American history and my Mother fostered that interest.  I was aware of the history of the Tavern and maybe "lobbied" my Mother to include that visit when we were in Lower Manhattan.  

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I agree with you on Princess steak venue.  It seemed like an afterthought...no atmosphere and nothing special.

Other than Sabatini's and Alfredo's on Princess ships, the one other specialty restaurant that seemed to be a purposely designed venue is the Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse on Coral Princess and, I think, Island Princess.  Its Creole and Cajun menu is certainly different.  During my 2019 Coral Princess 7 day Alaskan cruise, I ran out of time to try that venue.  Only the day when it became Alfredo's for lunch, that was the only time I patronized the restaurant.  It must not have been a sufficiently successful concept to be extended to the newer Classes of Princess ships built since the Island and Coral.  

51 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Never really thought about your comment, but, you are right.  I have had many different types of dining experiences.  Maybe due to the experiences that I had being raised.  My Mother was the same type of person that I am.  Perfectly satisfied with no-frills, good food through the most high-end experience that I remember that my Brother and I experienced with her:  the Rainbow Room in New York City.  That was the same trip when we had lunch at Fraunces Tavern.  When we arrived (this was Summer), my brother and I wore short sleeve shirts--don't remember if we had long pants or not; probably not.  No jackets;  jackets were required for gentlemen;  we were given jackets to wear that permitted us to dine at the Tavern.  

One might wonder why we, tourists, would choose to lunch there.  I had become very interested in American history and my Mother fostered that interest.  I was aware of the history of the Tavern and maybe "lobbied" my Mother to include that visit when we were in Lower Manhattan.  

RK, I’ll tell you a little secret.  DW and I have dined in some great places.  I have a background in food having cooked professionally off and on my entire life...call it a hobby.  DW and I are totally bored with high-end restaurants.  We really prefer diners and dives...LOL.  We would far more prefer to dine in a booth at an old barroom/restaurant rather than an upscale chic intown venue.  We really try to find great food in diverse places.  We can always kick it up a few notches when we travel.  Other than that we’ll take a good meal in a dive anytime.  

On 11/16/2020 at 5:09 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RK, I’ll tell you a little secret.  DW and I have dined in some great places.  I have a background in food having cooked professionally off and on my entire life...call it a hobby.  DW and I are totally bored with high-end restaurants.  We really prefer diners and dives...LOL.  We would far more prefer to dine in a booth at an old barroom/restaurant rather than an upscale chic intown venue.  We really try to find great food in diverse places.  We can always kick it up a few notches when we travel.  Other than that we’ll take a good meal in a dive anytime.  

We are simpatico in our experiences.  While I enjoy a "luxury" type of dining experience on occasion, having breakfast in a local "mom & pop" restaurant whose decor hasn't much changed since the 1960's and many chairs have slits in the seating area, whose parking area is in great need of re-paving, the food remains very good.  The service is friendly; the coffee pot keeps appearing.  And, the coffee is quality coffee.   

Not sure that it would meet the definition of a "dive", but I discovered on my several trips through the Jacksonville area a seafood restaurant that is part of a local chain.  It's near the Jacksonville Naval Air Station.  It clearly a "locals" spot.  The food is excellent.  The service is satisfactory.  And, looking at the license plates on the cars in their parking lot, I am a "foreigner".  

I have found an Italian restaurant in Fairmont, West Virginia that is not a "dive", but a very nice restaurant.  The service, cuisine, and menu offerings are great.  The price is good and their wine list isn't bad either.  Again, surveying the license plates in the parking lot, I am a "foreigner".  

I have come to really value these "finds"!

RK, as long as it is cozy and the table, silverware and plates are clean...

We have several go-to restaurants but now that list is dwindling...so sad.  We haven’t been out to a restaurant in more than a year.  It will be a while before we will be able to go out and dine again.  

On 11/17/2020 at 8:53 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RK, as long as it is cozy and the table, silverware and plates are clean...

We have several go-to restaurants but now that list is dwindling...so sad.  We haven’t been out to a restaurant in more than a year.  It will be a while before we will be able to go out and dine again.  

I have a big gripe with restaurants that present me with "silverware" that isn't clean.  If you can't get the utensils clean that you present to your customer, what else in the kitchen is not?  There is a well known national chain of restaurants whose initials are BE where the local restaurant that I patronized had issues with this:  forks with dried egg yolks on the tines, etc.  Some visits:  all was good.  Others:  no.  Once, I had to request THREE sets of utensils before all three of them were clean!  The reason, I decided, had to do with whomever was the Manager of the facility.  Some were more proficient in their job; some should never have been hired.

A national fast food restaurant whose name starts with W is another one that I avoid.  Why?  Never really was fond of their food.  But, on one visit, I visited the Men's room.  It's condition almost rivaled the condition of the Port-a-Potties I experienced at the site of the Leaning Tower of Pisa.  Never have patronized them again and won't do so in the future!

Talking about funky little dining spots...did you ever go to the bbq shack on the beach road at Montego Bay??  That place is legendary for bbq jerk chicken and ribs.  I went out back and joined the guys who were tending the massive charcoal grill.  They were using charcoal made from the rum distilleries on the island.  A great meal eaten with your fingers and washed down with cold Red Stripe!  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

On 11/17/2020 at 8:53 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We haven’t been out to a restaurant in more than a year.  It will be a while before we will be able to go out and dine again.  

Mid-March was the last time that I patronized a restaurant for indoor dining.  That was the "mom and pop" establishment that I mentioned in a previous post.  Like you, an in-the-restaurant dining experience is unlikely for some time.  I do try to patronize some by carry-out and by delivery.  I object to the delivery services that charge a fee, take a percentage of the meal's price from the restaurant, and then the one who delivers the meal wants a tip.  That's capitalism taken to the point of gouging the producer (the restaurant) and the customer.  I predict, at least on the local level, this will change if such practices continue.

Some of the restaurants in downtown Dayton have started an organization to provide their own service at a reduced cost to the customer and to themselves.  The attempt is in its infancy.  But, it holds much promise, I think.   

7 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

.did you ever go to the bbq shack on the beach road at Montego Bay?? 

No.  Jamaica holds unpleasant memories for me other than the scenic sail by its coast by the TSS Fairwind before we arrived at Montego Bay.  My experiences at Montego Bay as well as Ocho Rios provided nothing but offers for "pot", drugs, and taxi drivers that were aggressive.  My sole tour that I remember on the island was good.  Beautiful island with much tourist potential that the citizens of Jamaica have yet to comprehend.  

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

No.  Jamaica holds unpleasant memories for me other than the scenic sail by its coast by the TSS Fairwind before we arrived at Montego Bay.  My experiences at Montego Bay as well as Ocho Rios provided nothing but offers for "pot", drugs, and taxi drivers that were aggressive.  My sole tour that I remember on the island was good.  Beautiful island with much tourist potential that the citizens of Jamaica have yet to comprehend.  

That’s too bad.  I have some pleasant memories of Jamaica.  I think the trick of it was to stay in protected areas.  Our hotel supplied the taxis and they were all reliable.  Getting off a cruise ship and trying to find your way around?  No thanks.  

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Getting off a cruise ship and trying to find your way around?  No thanks.  

The worst experience was booking through Princess' Shore Excursion Office a taxi transfer to/from a shopping area:  the Taj Mahjal.  No problem getting there; driver and I agreed on the time and place in the area for a pick-up.  I was at the time and place.  He wasn't.  I waited--and waited--and waited.  Finally, took another taxi back to the pier.  Promptly notified a Shore Excursion Staff member who happened to be on the pier when I arrived.  I received a refund for the "excursion" and a reimbursement for my return taxi fare.  Even at the shopping center, the attitudes and merchandise selection was very disappointing.

Leaving a Carnival ship with visiting Margaritaville near the end of the pier, I was confronted with having to go through a mass of taxi drivers outside of the exit of the pier building.  No.  I don't think so.  I turned around and re-entered the ship and had a pleasant day "at sea" while the ship was at dock.

I know a couple that had a week's vacation at a gated/fenced resort on the island and loved it.  Yet, they never left the confines of their "prison"--in my opinion, of course.  Just simply have no interest in spending my money for such an experience!

39 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I know a couple that had a week's vacation at a gated/fenced resort on the island and loved it.  Yet, they never left the confines of their "prison"--in my opinion, of course.  Just simply have no interest in spending my money for such an experience!

Agreed...staying in a gated enclave holds no interest for us these days.  When we stayed in Jamaica we were sailing from Montego Bay.  We ran into a couple who were staying at our hotel for the entire week.  They looked forlorn when we told them we were leaving on a cruise the next day.  

These days we prefer to remember our happy past excursions while we relax and enjoy all the amenities of an empty ship in port.  A port day in the Yacht Club is an exquisite experience.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

These days we prefer to remember our happy past excursions while we relax and enjoy all the amenities of an empty ship in port.  A port day in the Yacht Club is an exquisite experience

Whether I am in YC or not, a port day with most of the guests ashore is a most pleasant day for me, indeed.  Having the hydrotherapy pool and thermal suite all to myself for awhile is a treat!

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

How about some of the on deck bbqs. On some of the ships from the past?  We had great deck parties on RCI, Regent, Italian Line, and others??  

A bit off topic...
I always loved the paella made on deck in one of those giant paella pans.  You would see this every once in a while on RCI.  They threw in everything but the kitchen sink!  I also remember that Regency had an on deck bbq once a week and they went all out.  I think Windstar does an on deck bbq once a week and it is highly rated.  To compliment the on deck festivities would be Tiki Drinks!  What would be your favorite Tiki drink??  I think I like a Planters Punch or a Singapore Sling...LOL.  Of course a Pina Colada, a Tequila Sunrise or a Mai Tai would be very good too.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

23 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

How about some of the on deck bbqs. On some of the ships from the past?  We had great deck parties on RCI, Regent, Italian Line, and others??  

None really impressed me, honestly.  Very attractive; the offerings looked delicious.  But, by the time I got my food, carried it to a table that I may have had trouble finding that had a seat for me, the food had cooled--still was tasty--but....  Just not the elegant dining that I prefer when I could dine at my regular table with my regular wait staff in the MDR.  

HAL on some cruises would offer a late night Chocolate/dessert major effort on the ship's covered mid-ship pool area.  Those I enjoyed.  But, oh, the work that the crew had to put into them.  And, the waste that undoubtedly followed.

The best special buffets that I remember were ones set up in the MDR.  Towers of shrimp, platters of lobster, lamb, beef, breads of all types and shapes, dessert tables and a chocolate fountain, fruits/vegetables of all kinds with many carved in interesting forms. ice sculptures.  Hot entrees were often included as well in a few.  I appreciate the memories!

14 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

What would be your favorite Tiki drink?

Mai Tai.  Pina Colada.  Rum Punch.  A strawberrry/banana Daiquiri.  It rather depends on the region where I am cruising.