Just off Fantasy - First Time DCL Trip Report of our Western Caribbean Voyage!

Viva_la_Vida

When were finally able to be seated, we were treated with exceptional service by our waiter, Carl. He was from Cape Town and was just about to get a break to be home with his family after several years of not getting to spend Christmas with his daughter. I hope he’s enjoying his vacation right now!

29630979060_7576f3dcf7_c.jpg

We enjoyed the antipasto and I had the potato gnocchi and the dover sole, which you can see, was filleted tableside.

29925059335_57f69e6d73_c.jpg

It was very good - salty and perfectly done. Because I couldn’t decide between them, Carl also brought us a Butternut Angelotti. I actually liked it the best. It was sweet and the pasta was clearly freshly made. So delicious! I loved the sorbet palate cleanser they brought us between courses, it was a very nice touch.

Carl actually took our dessert order very early, because the souffle took a while to make. Of course, we all chose the souffle in either the chocolate, or the unadvertised but available amaretto flavor.

I can’t even describe how delicious the chocolate souffle was. It was worth the upcharge with that one plate!

29889888016_c2e0b7cc74_c.jpg

The small pitchers are full of melted white and milk chocolate . . .

29297731944_a58c114729_c.jpg

What a wonderful dinner. And for a $30 upcharge, it was very worth it.

Due to our reservation time, we weren’t able to make the show “Believe”. That was disappointing, but I am still happy we ate at Palo.

It was a nice waddle back to the room after that huge amount of food :-)

Here was our towel animal! Good job, Laurel!

29301092334_95612dce65_c.jpg

We spent a long time working on gratuity envelopes. I love how DCL includes a slip that tells you what your auto gratuities are, and gives you envelopes for the slips of paper so you can personally hand them to your server. This is a nice thing compared to other lines, where the gratuity just goes on and there’s no acknowledgement of it in any way by you or crew. I know you can opt to take it off and give cash instead, or what we usually do, give a bit of cash in addition, but I thought this was nice. Especially because there was NO ATM ANYWHERE ON THE SHIP OR ON CASTAWAY CAY! We were really looking for one because we didn’t know we could adjust our gratuity to put more on from our onboard account. Once we figured that out, it was fine, but it would be nice for Disney to provide guests with an ATM.

We then took the remains of our carried on wine out to the nice loungers on deck 4 and had a nice time.

When we got back, we had a nice note from Carl waiting for us.

29889893116_9ab622964b_c.jpg

Darla and Bubba had one from their therapist after their massages. What a nice touch!

It was bed for us after that. Tomorrow, Castaway Cay!

Day 7

Friday, September 23rd

Castaway Cay, Bahamas

Goodness, I am kind of embarrassed how long it’s taking me to finish this review! It’s crazy season for me. As I’ve mentioned, I’m a theatre and a chorus director at a big high school and we are in fall one act play competition season right now. Our first performance is Thursday and we compete Saturday after next so it's been non-stop 13-16 hour days just at school and weekend rehearsals, not counting the stuff I have to do when I get home :-) Thanks for your patience with me! I'm going to be ready for another cruise after this run, ha!

And now for the daily!

29297710744_a4411edf9c_c.jpg

29298250613_326e92f386_c.jpg

Castaway Cay is Disney’s private island. I had never been to a cruiseline private island before, at least as an adult, and I was probably looking forward to this stop most! ~it did not disappoint~ :-)

I thought it was excellent how the Navigator app actually included all the places to eat on the island as well. Here are some screenshots from the app.

29841775621_71e9d6e78b_c.jpg

29298408903_7b6186548b_c.jpg

29841773241_c637567e99_c.jpg

We were left a hard copy map of the island just like this sign.

29893933206_a3a2a65945_c.jpg

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but the mosquito repellant provided at each port of call was awesome. It was a lotion, but had only the faintest chemical smell to it. I can’t stand even the stuff advertised to have no smell in the traditional store-bought repellents. I wish I could buy whatever Disney used!

29814230942_392a1cfa6a_c.jpg

It was a gorgeous day but HOT. The kids wanted to go find the kids club on the island with Bubba’s help, and Darla, Donna, and I headed to Serenity Bay. This ended up being more of an ordeal than expected. OK, I know I said that Castaway Cay did not disappoint, but I do want to be honest about what could be done better on DCL’s part, and/or what could be avoided by planning on the passenger's part.

First of all, it was way too hot to walk. Some people did, but it was pretty miserable and many of the paths are not shaded. There is a trolley provided, but it was not a good experience. It would stop what felt like an extraordinary amount of time. These trams are not all totally open air and when they are just sitting there in the sun, not moving, no breeze, it is awful. I actually felt a little faint just waiting in the trolley for it to move. To get all the way out to Serenity, you have to go to the second stop, get out, board another tram, and then you finally get there.

29634453390_fd00afdc26_c.jpg

This was the second type of tram we rode. It was way more open. The first type had glass partitions that did not allow for a breeze.

Ahhhhh, finally, Serenity Bay:

29301055354_354e014040_c.jpg

29814194562_e718d1cb41_c.jpg

I don’t have a ton of pics of the beach, but there was really nowhere to sit in the shade, and very few to no loungers available. We managed to find two together to put our stuff in (no umbrella) and ended up sitting out in the water the whole time to stay cool. The nice thing was that there were plenty of regular chairs available to drag into the cool water. The drink service was also good and drinks of the day were available on the island - NICE!

29928371075_ed161c5ed0_c.jpg

There were some small fish that would swim around you in the water.

29844995051_326869a383_c.jpg

And I spotted this guy. . . don’t know what kind of fish or other kind of creature he is, but I’m just thankful I didn’t step on him - for both of our sakes!

29892112996_ea75853939_c.jpg

After being rejoined by Bubba and spending ample time in the water, we all felt we were getting burned and decided to go to lunch and check on the kids. We headed over via tram to the Castaway family beaches area. I was a little disappointed with Cookies Too BBQ. When I heard BBQ I pictured shredded pork BBQ, but this was just ribs or something on a bone. I may be strange or it just shows my cultural bias, but I prefer the shredded, off the bone variety of BBQ. I opted for a veggie burger instead and it was really good. I also loved the soft serve ice cream machines available. As mentioned, it was just oppressively hot out and we ran into Nicholas, our server from day one on the boat who remembered us the whole trip. He looked miserable to be working out in the heat and when asked, said this shift was what a lot of crew members dreaded. It’s just another reason to tip your fantastic staff members well! All of the seating that I saw was open air, so don’t be expecting A/C on Castaway.

We found some nice shade around area “k” on the map. In fact, this whole part of the beach seemed empty compared to Serenity. I don’t know if it was the time of the day or just that it was a bigger area, but if I came back I would skip Serenity altogether and opt for this area of the beach.

29890065526_32473a4dda_c.jpg

29844984891_cd44232c19_c.jpg

I didn’t last long before heading back. It was just too hot. It was a beautiful view though for the ride back.

29893792806_e2df1a12ff_c.jpg

29814097352_01e4d89f79_c.jpg

I headed back alone and was greeted by the blissful feel of air conditioning! It was not long before I was rejoined by the rest of the family, who had also had enough sun for the moment.

Once I cooled off, I was ready to head to the Cove for sailaway. . .

29814131812_02cb636c29_c.jpg

And a beverage!

29300909864_a4b028f0e2_c.jpg

29893765816_2fe9e8f362_c.jpg

29300894124_0eec5581ff_c.jpg

29924994295_1c8e2d83a9_c.jpg

What a view! FYI, this was taken from one of my favorite spots for sailaway, deck 13 above the Cove. The bar, as mentioned, was never crowded.

29844875861_c2c1f21b87_c.jpg

Tonight’s theme in Enchanted Gardens was “See ya real soon”. Gosh those are harsh words, lol!

29924991285_1c37377b49_c.jpg

29841731111_c722cb0f5e_c.jpg

A side note, we made sure to get our gratuity envelopes ready to bring to dinner. There was no ATM anywhere on Castaway Cay, but we were able to go to guest services and adjust the gratuity. I always knew you could adjust it down, but I never knew you could adjust it up until forced to do it due to lack of cash. Good to know!

29890020126_04f65e91d3_c.jpg

29890011966_7d06f50744_c.jpg

29297632484_04b69b9e81_c.jpg

29630836530_2514aa3119_c.jpg

It was goat cheese and potato napoleon for me, as well as salmon.

29889924206_1f1bbc69ee_c.jpg

Best salmon ever!! That sauce!!! I'm for sure a sauce person -we all are and it was a hit.

29841670111_549827bc41_c.jpg

Of course we also had coffee, but the complimentary kind that seemed to always be better in the dining rooms than in Cabanas.

29630815610_18c2865246_c.jpg

29297620294_23607c7a28_c.jpg

I had the trio for dessert, and baked Alaska was brought around for everyone. I don’t usually love BA but this was very good!

29810834702_537c56024e_c.jpg

29630797710_456271b276_c.jpg

Our last towel “animal”

29841643651_a38cde4bae_c.jpg

And FYI, here’s where I was on internet on the evening of day 7. I had lots left out of the 1000GB but would have run out if I had chosen the package below this one.

29889971066_28971997ae_c.jpg

We basically just finished up our packing and hit the bed early on our last night. What an amazing vacation it was! We also filled out the survey shown in the picture above. They are BIG on having guests filling out the survey.

I’ll be back to talk about disembarkation chaos, our lost/stolen luggage, and Bayleigh and Will’s feedback as well as a wrap-up.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review!

We were on the Dream 3 years ago to celebrate our daughter's graduation from college. It was a magical time but way too short.

I have a 7 night Disney cruise on my bucket list. Hopefully, some day!

Very nice review! We are booked on our first Disney cruise and I'm glad to see someone's opinion who has been on other lines, NOT just Disney. We are Disney people, but I was looking at Carnival til Igot her passport (LONG story) and I went crazy and booked Disney again since I had booked it originally in 2014.

Hopefully we will enjoy it. My daughter is 5,so I am sure she will!

• 2 weeks later...

September 24, 2016

Disembarkation Day

Disembarkation day was done so differently than any other line I’ve been on. For breakfast, you’re assigned the same venue you eat dinner at the night before and it’s served in two seatings, also just like dinner. So, if you need to leave early to catch a flight, you want to make sure you choose early seating dinner.

We had Enchanted Garden, which was so convenient to our room.

Even on the last day, we felt they were pulling out all the stops. You could definitely tell everyone was in a rush, but that’s understandable.

29841635381_8844f05579_c.jpg

29841627371_3cdcb9439b_c.jpg

29889940446_8ab832338e_c.jpg

I actually had the “Chef’s Farewell”, which is sort of an odd combo of BBQ chicken w/swiss on an omlett. It was really good though!

And of course, my new favorite, muesli!

29841618271_ca252d5ee6_c.jpg

We stopped back by the room to grab our cases and head up to our waiting zone. Bayleigh didn’t want to believe it was over:

29841612351_63591f812f_c.jpg

Well we headed upstairs right after breakfast and they hadn’t even announced that we had cleared customs or whatever it is we have to clear yet. IT WAS A MADHOUSE IN THE LOBBY. It looked like the whole ship was there and there was no way to tell where the line started as it curved around every which way.

We still had to pic up pictures, so Bubba, Donna, and I headed up to photo place while Darla and the kids stayed with our stuff. I forgot to mention, but we had a lot of trouble with the photo people the whole trip. Some of our pictures kept not showing up on either room key. I’m still not convinced they found them all. We had to go through each one on the computer painstakingly with one of the cast members. It was a major drag and a huge time waster. So the night before we had been up to purchase pics after going several nights before and having the lady find our pic. She assured us it would be there when we came back. Friday night it wasn’t, so we waited in the huge line to get them to find it again. Since they couldn’t get it to us then and it was their fault, not ours, they said the promo that was going on would still work on debark morning. Guess what?! It didn’t! We were so very upset and there’s nothing they would do about it. Disney, get Shutters straightened out, they are hands down the worst part of the Disney experience!

When we finally got our pics paid for, we headed back down to the crazy 3rd floor and that’s when we noticed we were missing a bag! It was a small, rolling black bag and it was nowhere to be found. The guest services line was extremely long, but luckily Bubba found someone who could help immediately. We were worried the bag would walk off the ship before we got out of guest services line. THANK GOODNESS someone had turned it in. We don’t know if it was grabbed by mistake or if someone grabbed it on purpose and didn’t need or want the makeup it almost exclusively held, but we were just happy to get it back. As a side note here, I will note that a lot of people reported fish extender items and magnets from doors being stolen :-(

During the bag debacle, we had been keeping our place in line, which was finally moving. Once we got the bag back it was probably about 15 moure minutes before we got through. There were LOTS of people with no bags getting through, despite the fact that this was supposed to be just for people with carry off bags. They had ropes that were meant to stop people from just walking out of the elevators, cutting/avoiding the line, and disembarking, but by the time we got up to the front people were just climbing right over it and cutting in line. Ugh! So annoying. This was another area DCL could improve a lot.

I would classify this as the most chaotic disembarkation I've experienced.

Loading the car was easy, as was exiting the parking garage. We were just so sad it was over!

Wrap Up thoughts, tips, and issues:

• Be cautious with flip flops on deck. The staff members are constantly mopping, but it’s always wet and slick from sunscreen and I almost fell several times.
  • Pictures are a mess. Plan ahead and if you’ve got two cabins, always give both cabin #s to the photographers
  • Free drinks at the captain’s party! Stand in line for pics and drink at the same time :-)
  • Nightlife is severely lacking so know this going into it so you won’t be disappointed.
  • Muster drill is awful, wait until the last minute go out to it or you will be squished like sardines until it’s time to start.
  • Don’t book specialty dinners on the Animator’s Palate show night
  • Check out the buffet in Enchanted Gardens on Embarkation day in order to avoid the huge crowds
  • Disembarkation is chaotic. Watch your bags closely and bring your best patience!
  • Drinks of the day are a wonderful deal and way less expensive than other lines
  • A drink package like other lines offer is needed on DCL
  • Quiet Cove is wonderful, you have to check it out! Don’t forget Satellite Falls when the Cove gets crowded
  • Don’t forget about the mostly unadvertised last sea day brunch
  • Eat light on Pirate night because the midnight pirate buffet looked so yummy! I was too full to eat anything though.

I absolutely enjoyed this cruise. I hope to take children one day, but it would be a rare treat. We would choose other lines for the cost savings. I found the service better than any other line and the food on par with Celebrity. Celebrity would still be my first choice overall due to the free drink promotion and the significant cost difference but I understand that with kids, X would not be ideal. For now though for just the husband and myself, it fits our needs well.

Now, some input from the kids!

Bayleigh’s Words:

• Kids club is fun, make sure you talk to people there and make friends!
  • Mexico was my favorite because you had all the smoothies, food, pools, beach, and fun toys in the water. The server was great.
  • Try to stay up late because once it’s over, it’s over.
  • Room service is awesome!
  • Shows - go see them and sit on the lower floor if you want to get picked. Shy people stay in the balcony.
  • Aqua Duck - go at night and make time for the line during the day
  • Pirate costume made me want to go to sleep
  • Lots of activities
  • Character breakfast was good because of the unique characters

Will’s Words:

• Eat a lot of food
  • Be good to servers
  • Do lots on the islands/ports
  • Ride the Aqua Duck
  • Go to Edge Club
  • Go to Vibe
  • Have fun!

I hope you’ve all enjoyed and I’m sorry again it took me so long to finish. Our play one first place this past Saturday though, so we go to state finals this Saturday! I knew if I didn’t finish now, I might not get to it until after Christmas, ha! Please feel free to ask questions though and I promise I’ll try my best to answer.

I'll leave you with this last wonderful pic of our fabulous servers from the last morning. Happy cruising, everyone!

29931709215_d7eee57862_c.jpg

A little late, but what were"rustic" about the bathrooms at Mr. Sancho's?

One reason for the slow discussion on cruise critic is that a lot of Disney cruisers are Disney people, as opposed to cruising people, and tend to stay on Disney-specific boards!

Enjoyed the review! Do you have any reviews of Celebrity Reflection? We are going on Reflection next year... first time on Reflection! (lots of cruises on Royal and Disney under our belts.. trying something new next year!)

A little late, but what were"rustic" about the bathrooms at Mr. Sancho's?

One reason for the slow discussion on cruise critic is that a lot of Disney cruisers are Disney people, as opposed to cruising people, and tend to stay on Disney-specific boards!

Enjoyed the review! Do you have any reviews of Celebrity Reflection? We are going on Reflection next year... first time on Reflection! (lots of cruises on Royal and Disney under our belts.. trying something new next year!)

Rustic for me meant not being able to put toilet paper in the toilet and the facilities being old and worn.

I do have a Reflection review! We LOVED the reflection. It was my favorite ship by far. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2021981

You can't see the pics anymore unless you click on them though.

Thanks so much.

I do have a Reflection review! We LOVED the reflection. It was my favorite ship by far. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2021981

You can't see the pics anymore unless you click on them though.

Thanks so much.

Thanks for the link! I can't see the photos at all, even clicking on it. Boo. But I'll read what wrote. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums