Hurricane Matthew Thread

2thesea

Sept. 2014 - you must have been on the repositioning cruise that ended in SJ. We were in the terminal waiting to check in and then board. Boarding began about 1:30 or so, not 3:00. The captain was outside handing out water to those that were waiting out there. Those of us stuck in the terminal waiting to board were not given anything as there wasn't anymore room in the terminal for anyone to move around. When it came time for those of us with boarding card 1 to begin it was a nightmare as people couldn't/wouldn't move and everyone wanted to board and not wait for their number.

Lesson learned, never be the first cruise that starts in SJ after a repositioning cruise and don't take a repo cruise that ends there as all crew has to go thru passport control as well as guests leaving the ship.

DCL or any other cruise line as no 'muscle to flex' when the customs agents don't show up for work. DCL had requested 15 officers that day and 6 showed up for work.

Yes, that was the cruise. Glad you didn't have to wait till 3 to board (as I'd previously read). I know we exited the terminal right about 1:30 and we were toward the end of the line. The US passport line was completely finished and our friend said that she was toward the end of the non-US line. We waited nearly an hour from the time we cleared the line until our friend finally appeared. By then, of course, we had all the luggage and were more than ready to be out of there!

And while your numbers are slightly different from what we were told, the idea is the same--DCL requested A LOT more agents than they got for whatever reason. I'd had a previous negative experience in San Juan, but this one sealed the deal.

I don't think there was anything DCL could have done. While we were still on the ship, we asked the ACD what was happening. She told us that they all hate it when there is a Customs/Immigration issue, but didn't supply any more detail than that. And DCL did a fine job while we were waiting on the ship. We've hit Customs issues at PC, but not like this!

Looking forward to Cozumel instead of Nassau. Also looking forward to the much calmer seas in the Gulf! We're sad to miss Castaway, but a sea day should be great - the more time on that ship the better!

My travel agent had emailed a couple days ago suggesting that even St. Maarten was a possibility. Question: is this the Dream's first trip to Cozumel?

You are the right kind of cruiser for this season. Go with the flow and enjoy what happens! It will be a great trip.

Sorry, I don't know about the Dream and Cozumel. If it has been there before, it was a similar situation to this one. Of course the Magic and Fantasy are there regularly.

Hints on Cozumel--there will be a sign at the pier listing taxi fares (government regulated). Fares are per vehicle, not per person. Want a beach? Paradise Beach is great. They might try to sell you a "package" including admission, transportation, and all sorts of things. You don't need this. You can buy just what you want. There is a little shopping center at the pier (at least the "usual one, there are actually 2 docking places). There is a Starbucks--free wifi with any purchase, code is on your receipt and is good all day. The shopping center has cute things for little kids--there was a guy with a burro that you would pay for a photo with your kid. Kids could pet it, sit on it, or whatever.

Chankanaub park (probably spelled wrong) has lots to do but is more costly than Paradise if you just want a beach. Again, you can pay by the activity you want after basic admission.

Stay on the tourist trail here. This is NOT a port to go off exploring on your own other than a taxi to one of the main places. I'm not saying that you have to do DCL excursions--you don't. But don't rent a car or hire a driver and just go sightseeing.

Edited by moki'smommy

DCL has revised their website advisory message as follows:

Advisory Message

Tropical Weather Update

October 2, 2016

Disney Cruise Line
is monitoring the weather conditions and predicted path of Hurricane Matthew closely.

The October 2, 2016,
Disney Magic
sailing itinerary remains unchanged.

The October 3, 2016,
Disney Dream
sailing will now sail to the western Caribbean and feature a stop in Cozumel, Mexico. The revised itinerary is below:

October 3 – Port Canaveral

October 4 – Day at Sea

October 5 – Cozumel, Mexico

October 6 – Day at Sea

October 7 – Port Canaveral Florida

While it’s still too early to tell if any future itineraries will need to be adjusted due to Hurricane Matthew, we are always prepared to visit alternate ports or spend days at sea to ensure the safety and comfort of our Guests. We will continue to provide updates as they are available

I suspected that was where they would go based upon all the other cruise lines also reporting that they would visit Cozumel instead of an eastern cruise.

Cozumel will be incredibly busy with all of those ships in port!

I hope the hurricane behaves as suspected and it doesn't turn into a lengthened cruise due to it going towards Florida.

ex techie

I've had several "hurricane issues" on DCL cruises' date=' mostly because we do a lot of September cruises.

The first time, Captain John took the Magic to Key West (before there was a Western) in order to wait a day, see where the hurricane went, and recoup as much of our cruise as possible.

Other times (at least twice) we have missed a port and it became a sea day.

The worst was when the hurricane closed Port Canaveral. Our 7 night cruise became a 4 night cruise. DCL gave us the choice of canceling for a full refund or taking the 4 night with a large refund and an OBC. Since we were already at WDW, we did the shorter cruise. It was sad, but it was a reasonable option.

Funny, but we've never had to miss Castaway, even when the storms were supposedly affecting the Bahamas.

Cruises I have not been on but heard of--there was a cruise that couldn't get in to ANY port. DCL gave a full cruise fare credit toward a future cruise to those passengers.

There is no compensation if you miss a port or go to an alternate port. The crew does really hustle to arrange new excursion options and of course there is no charge for anything booked thru DCL at the missed port.

If you have travel insurance and are very uneasy, look at the policy to see what the fine print says about storm forecasts.

They will not take the ship into the storm. The captain will find a "work around," regardless of what it does to the planned ports.[/quote']

Hi Moki's Mommy... question: We just returned from the 9/24 - 10/1 Fantasy sailing where we skipped St. Thomas due to Hurricane Matthew (it was a tropical depression at the time.) Shouldn't we at least get port fees / taxes back? I assumed it was automatic but didn't see it on our final bill and we were too hurried to stop at Guest Services on our way off the ship. I'm not sure if I should call DCL tomorrow or how they normally handle. Thanks!

You should see a refund for the port charges show up on your credit card statement (if that is how you paid for the cruise). It will be handled by shoreside after the fact, not by shipboard services. If you paid by check, you'll get a check back but that will take 4-6 weeks. The refund amount is always something really odd, like $8.24 per person. (example, not currently accurate). I would see a credit amount for $16 from DCL and wonder what the heck that was about...

If you went to a different port instead you will see a refund only if there is a difference in the port charges. If the one you visited is more, DCL eats it. If it is less, they refund the difference.

Edited by moki'smommy

You should see a refund for the port charges show up on your credit card statement (if that is how you paid for the cruise). It will be handled by shoreside after the fact' date=' not by shipboard services. If you paid by check, you'll get a check back but that will take 4-6 weeks. The refund amount is always something really odd, like $8.24 per person. (example, not currently accurate). I would see a credit amount for $16 from DCL and wonder what the heck that was about...

If you went to a different port instead you will see a refund only if there is a difference in the port charges. If the one you visited is more, DCL eats it. If it is less, they refund the difference.[/quote']

Thank you!!!

Thank you!!!

You're welcome. Since you just disembarked on Saturday, don't expect to see the refund for a week or so. They need a little time to process it, and I know that refunds often don't show up on my on line statement right away. Even if a local store gives me a refund, it might take a few days to show up on the computer.

Looking forward to Cozumel instead of Nassau. Also looking forward to the much calmer seas in the Gulf! We're sad to miss Castaway, but a sea day should be great - the more time on that ship the better!

My travel agent had emailed a couple days ago suggesting that even St. Maarten was a possibility. Question: is this the Dream's first trip to Cozumel?

Make sure your return flight info was added to the online check in, in case a few days are added on to your cruise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GOOD MORNING!

Well it seems Matthew is still moving slowly to pass of Cuba, Haiti and the Bahamas, and has a stage 4 storm strength, but will likely drop some over the Bahamas

Saturday Matthew will be east of Georgia and forecasts now expect it to be somewhat off shore when it passes the mid Atlantic and Northeast state, but no to far, so anything can happen.Keep our fingers crossed.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane

AKK

I've just looked at weather.com and the forecast for the Bahamas next weekend when our 3 day Dream cruise is supposed to dock there does not look promising. What do you suppose they will do then? Can a 3 day cruise go anywhere else- Key West, maybe?

I've just looked at weather.com and the forecast for the Bahamas next weekend when our 3 day Dream cruise is supposed to dock there does not look promising. What do you suppose they will do then? Can a 3 day cruise go anywhere else- Key West, maybe?

The Dream is to big to dock at Key West without multiple tugs, making it extremely unlikely.

In the past, they have used Tampa and Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) when PC was closed. Sorry gang, it is a real mess when PC closes!

In our situation, DCL provided complimentary transportation to/from MCO or WDW. If you booked air thru DCL, they assisted in rescheduling flights or moving the flight to an airport near where we docked (in our case, they arranged flights from FLL or MIA if desired). If you booked air on your own, you'll be responsible for any rescheduling needed. If you purchased travel insurance, you'll need to read the policy. In many cases it will cover any change fees.

I'm sorry. It isn't any fun at all when PC closes. Obviously, it isn't just the Disney ships the ports are trying to make arrangements for. There are other cruise lines also affected. That means that dock space is at a premium and they are trying to unload/load passengers quickly.

The predictions are calling for the storm to move very slowly to the north and west of Port Canaveral on Friday. I suspect the Port will be closed.

Could the Dream dock in Tampa?

Dream/Fantasy are too big to go into Tampa.

I hope you are not driving to there port.

e2609f9b36b054de2b309150b90a927b.jpg

Yes, it was about a 4 hour drive from WDW to Port Everglades....and the bus had not even been cleaned when we started! The excuse was that they didn't have time to clean them after they supposedly brought people back to WDW from the Wonder. When we arrived at Port Everglades the Wonder was finishing up loading on passengers and the Magic was waiting for a slot to pull in. We were initially told that the Magic couldn't dock till the Wonder left, but then another spot opened up and she pulled in.

The worst part was that DCL did nothing to keep us informed that entire day. We were learning more on line than from DCL!

They did offer us a "snack" as we boarded the bus--choice of granola bar, pretzels, etc. Dinner was available when we boarded the ship about 9 pm.

Hubby called Disney today to ask about Friday's cruise possibilities. Of course he got the "we'll wait and see", and the " don't worry, the weather doesn't matter because there's plenty to do on the ship." I'm sorry, but I'm not happy with paying that money to stay indoors all day, and Castaway Cay is our favorite thing about Disney cruises. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for something positive to happen. I also have to worry about flying down to Florida. This is the first time we've cruised at this time of year, and it will be the last.

That's certainly a fair decision on your part. As I said above, we've cruised in September and October several times and only once were seriously affected.

No, DCL won't give you any information. In fact, they lied to us. On Friday morning before we were due to cruise on Saturday, they told us that the cruise was set to go as scheduled. At the same time they were telling us that, the Magic had come into Port Canaveral a day early so those passengers could be safely disembarked before the port closed (they were given a partial refund, a day/night at WDW if desired or assistance with rescheduling flights). The Magic went without passengers to a safe place in the Atlantic and picked us up on Monday night at Port Everglades.

My problem was not what the weather did to the cruise; it was the lies from the DCL staff. I'm sure the CMs on the phone were just doing as they were told, but it wasn't right. Friday late afternoon we were contacted by DCL telling us that the cruise would go out on Monday and setting us up for a 9 am bus from WDW....which became a 4pm bus!

I hope all goes well for you. I'm sorry that you're probably going to miss Castaway and hope you can have a good cruise anyhow.

DCL does have a history of allowing you to cancel the cruise for a full refund and/or transferring the booking to another date. I realize that unless you booked air thru DCL, that isn't going to help, but it is an option. Travel insurance should cover weather related flight changes. Again, good luck. The uncertainty is the worst part!

Chances are the Dream will be able to go to Castaway Cay on Sunday. Since there should be a full day to get the island ready.

Nassau most likely will be skipped but given how packed the ship is when docked in Nassau, most people are shipping Nassau anyways. We have skipped Nassau 2 times.

DCL will have plenty of activities indoors and outdoors.

The biggest issue is what port the ship will be at on Friday. Pack some snacks and an a water bottle in your carry on in case it is a long day.

Hurricane season is June 1 to November 15, so it is hard to avoid unless you can cruise between December and may.

The earliest DCL would put any updates out is Wednesday, 48hrs.

Chances are the Dream will be able to go to Castaway Cay on Sunday. Since there should be a full day to get the island ready.

The only issue I see there is that the island will have been evacuated by now, and it will take time to get the crew back to Castaway to survey any damage, the dock channel, and start the clean up.

ex techie

I am thinking DCL would have everyone/thing ready to fill to the island as soon as the storm passes. This was all assuming it would drop to a cat 2, but I just read on Weather Underground that during the eye wall replacement the wind speeds didn't have the normal drop/pressure increases. The wind speeds are up to 145 mph and the pressure dropped to 934 mb based on the latest storm tracker flight. Yuck