Hurricane Matthew Thread

2thesea

Castaway Cay will be underwater thanks to a 10-15' storm surge for the better part of a day. I wouldn't expect anyone going there anytime soon.

Agreed, it doesn't appear to be getting broken up coming thru the cut between the Cuba and Hati mountains.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Agreed, it doesn't appear to be getting broken up coming thru the cut between the Cuba and Hati mountains.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Too big ahd water too warm for it to be impacted much, it'll skip the cut enough to not weaken. The Bahamas are going to be hit harder than anyone realizes, a cruiseline beach is the least of their concerns.

In terms of timing, the forecast has changed significantly within the past 12 hours, and will change again, so while I am sure the lines have options ready, I doubt they have decided what to do at this time. I wouldn't expect any decisions to be made until at least Wed for a Friday departure...

I am sorry to say I agree with everyone else here. CC is likely to be damaged big time by the Storm Surge and it should take a few days to get it back into operation.

This is really in the rumor pile, but I was told a few years ago that there is a storm shelter on the island and some workers stay there during the hurricanes or severe weather.

AKK

You may be right. I do know that the full time workers on CC has increased from 6 in 1998 to about 60 now. Much of that has to do with their animal care and research programs, but those are obviously not active during a storm. One of the animal care people told us that when there is a storm, they remove the barriers allowing the rays and all other animals to travel to the safest locations possible. They were quite pleased to see that within 2 days, all but one of the rays had returned and that "stray" was back in under 2 weeks. They interpreted that as either they have a homing instinct or they are quite happy with their environment on CC.

After a storm, all CMs become responsible for getting the island put back together.

We are on the Magic on the 7th as well. It really doesn't look like the storm will hurt our trip too much. It will either hit land on Sunday and head north or get pushed way out into the Atlantic. Seems like it all depends on how fast the front from the west gets to the east coast. As of right now Disney has not made any changes.

In our situation, the official word did not come until the day before the embarkation had been scheduled. This despite the Port Authority announcing that PC would be closed about 30 hours before scheduled departure and reopen asap after that.

DCL will delay an announcement until they have the most accurate info possible...which means that they won't make a decision about a Sunday cruise on Tuesday. They will be in "wait and see" mode for now.

Obviously part of their decision will depend on whether PC or MCO has to close.

Edited by moki'smommy

I would be very surprised if there wasn't such a structure in place on the island plus a well planned evac operation...

I also think there is going to be some significant impact...

I am sorry to say I agree with everyone else here. CC is likely to be damaged big time by the Storm Surge and it should take a few days to get it back into operation.

This is really in the rumor pile' date=' but I was told a few years ago that there is a storm shelter on the island and some workers stay there during the hurricanes or severe weather.

AKK[/quote']

We are on the Magic on the 7th as well. It really doesn't look like the storm will hurt our trip too much. It will either hit land on Sunday and head north or get pushed way out into the Atlantic. Seems like it all depends on how fast the front from the west gets to the east coast. As of right now Disney has not made any changes.

As you are sailing Friday out of NYC there may not be a decision until late Wednesday or mid-morning Thursday, they may also make changes once the ship is enroute as well. Make sure your contact info is up to date with DCL - cell phone number & email - and if you book thru a travel agent they will get the info and should pass it along to you.

Edited by belle907

Castaway Cay is expected to have winds up to the 130's Thursday morning. With winds like that, if the storm stays on the current track, CC could be closed for repair for a while. In 1999, CC was closed for 1 month for repairs after Floyd hit it.

Castaway Cay is expected to have winds up to the 130's Thursday morning. With winds like that, if the storm stays on the current track, CC could be closed for repair for a while. In 1999, CC was closed for 1 month for repairs after Floyd hit it.

We were tendered at CC the week after Floyd. So pretty to look at but that was it as we were just bringing supplies after the storm.

Seems as of AM today' date=' Mathew is heading up the coast and by in the England states late Sunday/Monday. Any word from DCL yet?

AKK[/quote']

No word yet. I think we will be able to depart NYC with out issue BUT where will the Magic go? Seems that the Bahamas to include CC may be hit hard thus leaving us out to sea :( Thought about Bermuda (that wouldn't break my heart) but there is a small system headed that way. Mexico? San Juan? with 8 days can the Magic make it to St Thomas and back? Who knows. Would be nice if DCL at least let us know their thoughts.

Would be nice if DCL at least let us know their thoughts.

If they let you know their preliminary plans, there would be an uproar if those plans were changed. They will let you know very close to embarkation--likely the day before. And those plans may well change even after the cruise has started depending on what the storms do.

No word yet. I think we will be able to depart NYC with out issue BUT where will the Magic go? Seems that the Bahamas to include CC may be hit hard thus leaving us out to sea :( Thought about Bermuda (that wouldn't break my heart) but there is a small system headed that way. Mexico? San Juan? with 8 days can the Magic make it to St Thomas and back? Who knows. Would be nice if DCL at least let us know their thoughts.

Hi 2Thesea,

Moki'sMommy is totally correct. I would add all the lines are having the same problem......Just where will this rather odd moving storm(well most of them are odd moving) going to go!

To throw out a GUESS.........The Magic could go east and then head south, this will give him some options. However as others have said they will not make up here mind until late Wednesday or Thursday, when they have a much better idea for how fast and where its heading.

AKK

Seems as of AM today' date=' Mathew is heading up the coast and by in the England states late Sunday/Monday. Any word from DCL yet?

AKK[/quote']

The latest news is no news:

Advisory Message

• Tropical Weather Update

October 4, 2016
    Disney Cruise Line is closely monitoring tropical weather systems in the Caribbean.
    At this time, no itinerary changes have been made to the following sailings:

• October 7 – Disney Dream & Disney Magic
    • October 8 – Disney Fantasy

If needed, we can alter the itinerary of our ships to ensure the safety and comfort of our Guests and Crew. We will provide updates as they are available.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/advisory/

Edited by Host Mick

This is really in the rumor pile' date=' but I was told a few years ago that there is a storm shelter on the island and some workers stay there during the hurricanes or severe weather.

AKK[/quote']

My personal opinion with the facts as we know it at present is that if CC is hit as hard as predicted and with a storm surge of 10', it would take a month or more to get CC operational again.

When you consider that the plant machinery backstage will/could be submerged, as will the venues around the island, not just the bars, but the restrooms, and CC crew accommodation blocks, they will all have to be surveyed and repaired before any visit.

Just thinking about all of the electrical and water treatment plant being salvaged/repaired/replaced, tested, signed off.

And this isn't just about Disney opening their check book to pay for the repairs, it's about getting the engineers, surveyors, work force who build and repair the structures and infrastructure from around the states and world to CC, probably flown to Nassau and ferried in if Nassau airport survives.

Then sanitization. New equipment for food refrigeration (or no food served on the island), new electrical distribution panels and receptacles in each area (without electricity the toilets won't flush, and the taps will be dry), rebuilding the manmade beaches, and possible dock damage.

The list of repairs that would be needed for a storm this size and severity is nearly endless before it is safe to reopen.

My first and foremost thoughts are that all of the crew at CC has been evacuated and are safe, but also the wellbeing and safety of everyone of the residents that live on the nearby islands and on islands in the Caribbean.

Those poor souls will most likely lose everything they own, even if they manage to save their lives.

ex techie

Having a storm shelter in the island would be a good backup plan for DCL but with a 10-15 ft storm surge, has to be close to the max relocation of Castaway Cay.

The storm shelter is only there for emergencies that could not be foreseen.

It is and never was an intentional place of refuge to wait out a storm of this magnitude if the crew could be evacuated.

DCL would never put their crew in harms way if there was a way to evac them to safety.

ex techie

My personal opinion with the facts as we know it at present is that if CC is hit as hard as predicted and with a storm surge of 10', it would take a month or more to get CC operational again.

When you consider that the plant machinery backstage will/could be submerged, as will the venues around the island, not just the bars, but the restrooms, and CC crew accommodation blocks, they will all have to be surveyed and repaired before any visit.

Just thinking about all of the electrical and water treatment plant being salvaged/repaired/replaced, tested, signed off.

And this isn't just about Disney opening their check book to pay for the repairs, it's about getting the engineers, surveyors, work force who build and repair the structures and infrastructure from around the states and world to CC, probably flown to Nassau and ferried in if Nassau airport survives.

Then sanitization. New equipment for food refrigeration (or no food served on the island), new electrical distribution panels and receptacles in each area (without electricity the toilets won't flush, and the taps will be dry), rebuilding the manmade beaches, and possible dock damage.

The list of repairs that would be needed for a storm this size and severity is nearly endless before it is safe to reopen.

My first and foremost thoughts are that all of the crew at CC has been evacuated and are safe, but also the wellbeing and safety of everyone of the residents that live on the nearby islands and on islands in the Caribbean.

Those poor souls will most likely lose everything they own, even if they manage to save their lives.

ex techie

My friend, whether its weeks or a month, you hit the nail on the head.........as long as everyone in the storm is safe and sound!

AKK