Cruise day rush hour strategy?

stickyshocker

What i really mean is, how does departure from a pre cruise hotel at FL look like from 9:30-12noon?Are taxi's and Uber readily available? Are people jockeying for position to board a shuttle? I'm asking this for my sis in law and friends who are staying at a hotel in 17th st., while me and the fam are staying at Las Olas, I'm setup w/ mine, but they still can't decide whether to rent a car, book private,taxi/Uber(if they're easy to catch)or hotel shuttle(as long as its organized and civil).

excess:

Coral Princess,Carnival Conquest and Oasis have embarkations that day.

Thanks in advance in behalf of Christina and friends[emoji846]

OK, breathe!! :) Does your hotel offer a shuttle? If it does, go to the front desk, and tell them your name/hotel room number to be put on their shuttle list. Or pay a small fee to use the shuttle. It may be first come first served depending on how the hotel operates. This is not their first rodeo.

If no shuttle, ask the hotel next door if you can pay to use their shuttle.

Call a cab. The port is usually very close.

Have a wonderful cruise. ;)

What i really mean is, how does departure from a pre cruise hotel at FL look like from 9:30-12noon?Are taxi's and Uber readily available? Are people jockeying for position to board a shuttle? I'm asking this for my sis in law and friends who are staying at a hotel in 17th st., while me and the fam are staying at Las Olas, I'm setup w/ mine, but they still can't decide whether to rent a car, book private,taxi/Uber(if they're easy to catch)or hotel shuttle(as long as its organized and civil).

excess:

Have them take a cab. I would leave the hotel between 10 and 10:30. Cab from Embassy Suites on 17th to port is around $12 before tip. Shuttles aren't worth the hassle.

If it's only 2 people I'd just go with a cab! Anytime I've done a hotel shuttle it's been a total mad house...everyone trying to get on first...pushing...shoving...just not my idea of a good start to vacation...Uber is also another good option...usually even cheaper than a cab...

mine does so we're good, the SIL they have too, but didn't know u can talk your way next door, let me get this info to her.. thanks!

Some hotels make you pay the cruise ship rate for your room to get the shuttle and then still charge you for more than two people. Embassy charges $18 per person. Cab is cheaper and more flexible, especially from 17th Street.

Thanks for all the suggestions, we're actually here in the living room having a pre cruise meeting, all laptops are out, they're in google while i'm here, but i got their attention now, there's gonna be a few more questions thrown, but imma go get some fresh air first.

Have them take a cab. I would leave the hotel between 10 and 10:30. Cab from Embassy Suites on 17th to port is around $12 before tip. Shuttles aren't worth the hassle.

I agree that a cab in a better deal. You get a better price and only have to deal with your luggage being unloaded at the pier.

We used to take the shuttle, but arrived so late from our flight last time that we could not get an early time. We took a cab and were surprised how easy it was and it cost less than the shuttle for the Embassy Suites, anyway.

Edited by KansasK

If it's only 2 people I'd just go with a cab! Anytime I've done a hotel shuttle it's been a total mad house...everyone trying to get on first...pushing...shoving...just not my idea of a good start to vacation...Uber is also another good option...usually even cheaper than a cab...

this closed the door for my SIL but opened mine, will it be any different if my hotel is farther away from the cruise staging area is? I have a shuttle booked, minimum 5 luggages and there's 6 in my fam so my choices are really limited.

Exactly where they are staying. Have you tried their shuttle once? How long did you ever wait for a cab?

excess:

We stayed at the Hilton Marina in Ft Lauderdale last Dec and checked out around 9:30 and there were a line of taxis outside waiting. Checkout desk at hotel to dropping luggage of at ship in just over 5 minutes....

this closed the door for my SIL but opened mine, will it be any different if my hotel is farther away from the cruise staging area is? I have a shuttle booked, minimum 5 luggages and there's 6 in my fam so my choices are really limited.

Exactly where they are staying. Have you tried their shuttle once? How long did you ever wait for a cab?

No, I did not do their shuttle, was just booking them last night for a cruise next year. You can only use the Embassy shuttle if you book the cruise room rate. That rate was $45 more than the regular rate, but it did include shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to port for two. Was $18 more for any additional guests including children.

We have used cabs instead of taxis and most have cabs out front waiting. We always ask if we can order a cab the night before and are typically told to call in the AM.

Our strategy is always to find out when the first shuttle is leaving the hotel and then get out of there 15-30 minutes prior. We sailed Oasis in May and stayed at Marriott Courtyard on the beach and it was crazy in the lobby. We asked the night before about a private shuttle and were told to ask in the AM. We ended up paying $25 to the port for two, which was well worth it because it was one of the days of the Ft Lauderdale Airshow with lots of road closures. A taxi probably would have been cheaper but valet was saying 15 minute wait because of airshow traffic.

Our strategy is always to find out when the first shuttle is leaving the hotel and then get out of there 15-30 minutes prior. We sailed Oasis in May and stayed at Marriott Courtyard on the beach and it was crazy in the lobby. We asked the night before about a private shuttle and were told to ask in the AM. We ended up paying $25 to the port for two, which was well worth it because it was one of the days of the Ft Lauderdale Airshow with lots of road closures. A taxi probably would have been cheaper but valet was saying 15 minute wait because of airshow traffic.

Is this private shuttle exclusive for Marriot's? $25 flat rate?.. I might have to use this myself if i can.

A friend also asked, if they're gonna be at the port at 10am, where are they gonna go? their check in range is noon-3 pm, they have no status and are all 1st timers.

Is this private shuttle exclusive for Marriot's? $25 flat rate?.. I might have to use this myself if i can.

A friend also asked, if they're gonna be at the port at 10am, where are they gonna go? their check in range is noon-3 pm, they have no status and are all 1st timers.

I would plan to be at the port around 10:30-11...even as 1st timers they will be able to check in then & then sit & relax while they wait to board...the check in time 12-3 is just a suggestion by the cruise line to try & spread out the crowds...it isn't enforced...

Not sure what you mean by being further from the cruise staging area? Do you mean farther from port? Is the shuttle you booked thru the hotel or a private shuttle? If it's private or you have an assigned departure time you should be fine...the times I used a shuttle it was a hotel shuttle & you signed up the night before...but boarding was 1st come 1st served...there was no assigned shuttle time...

Neither of us can think of the name of the shuttle service, we talked to the concierge at the hotel and they quoted us the rate. Next morning, we asked a different woman and she went out front, talked to the driver and they took us.

If your friend leaves early, she will be able to check in early, even without status. We boarded just after 11am. We probably were checking in around 10:30 after the shuttle waited to get a spot at the curb, gave our bags to a porter, went through security, etc. We prefer to get there before the buses show up from the airport and the hotels, but that is just our preference. If they prefer to go later, totally up to them, I just like getting on the ship and looking around before the crowds. We headed to Park Cafe, got a great table, short line for food, sat down and people watched as we ate and then explored.

Edit: Might be worth calling the Marriott to see who they recommend for a private shuttle. Just say you are staying there soon. It was the Marriott Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Edited by reallyitsmema

I think you may have some confusion about the luggage. If 6 passengers will be using the shuttle, I'm sure each passenger is allowed luggage......they probably mean no more than 5 pieces per person. This can be broken down to 2 checked bags from the plane, 1 carry on, 1 camera bag/computer case and a woman's purse. That is 5 pieces per person and what many cruisers travel with. You may be charged if you have 5 full pieces of luggage per person. Your carry on, and all other small pieces will stay with you, while the 2 larger ones per person will be put under the shuttle, or in the back.

It sounds as if you are having three party's arriving at 3 different times to the port. Don't worry, You'll all get their at different times, but meet at the pier. Try to all leave as early as you can at all three hotels.

Everything will go well, don't worry. Worst scenario is you will all meet up at lunch at your agreed upon spot. :)

yes i mean a bit further from the port, in Las Olas actually.I made an arrangement thru the hotel, Im okay w/ organized chaos , but the pushing and shoving, not keen about that. What private shuttles are there? tnx

Check out the Florida Departures board for shuttle names if the Marriott won't tell you the name. I will look through our paperwork from that cruise to see if I wrote anything down, I don't think I did though.:(

We were farther out too on Seabreeze, taxis took us via Las Olas. Our fare from the airport was higher than everything I had read before but that was because most were quoting area around 17th.