Am I crazy--a positive thread

nycruise1

OK been cruising almost 25 years and as you can see below frequency rising from every other year to every year, so I have a bit or a history to rely on when saying we love Carnival. Here are some of the positive changes:

Booking cost may have actually gone DOWN over the years

MUCH MUCH more on Lido (Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana, Chopsticks)

Waterslides and waterworks

Other 2.0 improvements

24 ice cream (remember when the Capers used to announce when it was available for only an hour or so per day)

24 hour pizza

Dive in movies

Better equipped gyms

Loyalty program (think there was only the past guest party and that was it)

Chocolate melting cake

Booking on board credit

What have we lost?

Live music at shows (I liked that but oh well)

Chocolates on pillows--who cares--and another plus the beds are so much more comfortable now

Don't want to rack my brain but this is what comes to mind. Cruises have always tried to sell things on board, even 25 years ago. Doesn't seem much different now.

Usually when we look back on a cruise the trouble is deciding if this was one of our best ever, because it is so hard to to choose between them. I wish I were on a cruise right now.:(

But feel free to bash, or dare I say, compliment Carnival:D

Another venue that has been added is the Comedy Club - love it.

Wifi has been added as well, have never used it nor will we.

I do miss the orchestra though, have to say.

There are many things "added" that we enjoy. Things change over time no matter where you are.

I haven't been cruising for long at all, but I have to say that every time I hear someone complain about cutbacks, I can't help but wonder why they leave out all of the new things that Carnival has added over the years. So thank you for pointing out all of the improvements that Carnival has made.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've only been cruising for 6 years but I've racked up quite a number of them in that time.

For me, I have noticed changes - but those changes aren't necessarily for the worse!

I like the American table menus;

I like the removal of the tablecloths on non-formal nights and the new wood-look tables;

I like the "comfort matters" cards - I'm too fat for the robes so why have them taking up space - and no more sticky notes to the room steward asking for extra blankets or ice - I can just use the card!

I like that there's duo's and single musical acts around the ship instead of just the band in the main theatre;

I like the DJ on the pool deck during sail-away.

I do sail other lines - each line has stuff they do better for my tastes (like steps into the pools on Royal/Celebrity or Café Al Bacio or Disney Movie theatre or live shows) but I keep coming back to Carnival.

I did a 21 night journey cruise on the Pride this year - looking at all of the ships I've sailed on in the past - I can't imagine doing that on any other cruise line. I just don't think that they have enough variety in their day to day to keep me happy. Carnival has a great variety of stuff happening throughout the day and enough variety in dining that we didn't get bored. I can't say that for other lines.

Yep, along with the cutbacks there have been some definite improvements. Like you, OP, I lament the sharp decline of entertainment in the theatre, not only the orchestra, but a full compliment of dancers/singers, and fly-in acts as well. I miss some other things too, but I'm still cruising mostly with Carnival, and as long as the cutbacks don't start outnumbering the improvements, and as long as the price seems in line with what is being offered, will continue to do so. I'm neither a rose colored glasses wearing cheerleader, nor a Carnival basher. I try to be objective about products I spend my money on. And objectively, Carnival remains, at least for now, a good value. Carnival has been my favorite line over the years among those I've tried. I'm hoping that doesn't change.

Yep, along with the cutbacks there have been some definite improvements. Like you, OP, I lament the sharp decline of entertainment in the theatre, not only the orchestra, but a full compliment of dancers/singers, and fly-in acts as well. I miss some other things too, but I'm still cruising mostly with Carnival, and as long as the cutbacks don't start outnumbering the improvements, and as long as the price seems in line with what is being offered, will continue to do so. I'm neither a rose colored glasses wearing cheerleader, nor a Carnival basher. I try to be objective about products I spend my money on. And objectively, Carnival remains, at least for now, a good value. Carnival has been my favorite line over the years among those I've tried. I'm hoping that doesn't change.

Yep, this sums it up for us as well.

What are comfort cards?

The cards that you get from the room steward asking about how often you want your room serviced. They are called "Comfort Matters" cards. We were given them on the Pride for all of our cruises this year (well, I didn't get one for my stateroom on the last cruise because I didn't spend enough time there to see my steward until almost the end of the cruise).