Where are the Nikon Enthusiasts??

I agree with this. I have an iPhone (for now) and it in no way can compare with my D610 for low light shots or DOF stuff. My last 2 sailings (Alaska and the Med) there were lots and lots of people with DSLR's (along with many folks with tablets for cameras :eek: ). I want the best quality I can get and a phone camera just can't cut it when matched against my big camera.

Sure, the cameras in the iPhone have gotten better. I just bought the iPhone 7 and it’s amazing.

However, as convenient and as “good” as the iPhone has become for photos, you still can’t see the LCD screen if out in bright sunlight. Plus you lose the ability to control for depth of field and shutter speed.

• 1 month later...
To each their own, but there's no way that I'd be comfortable with an iPhone as a substitute for my DSLRs.

Two years ago as we were coming out of Cabo San Lucas the Captain announced that there was a pod of whales on the starboard side of the ship.

Lucky for me I was out on the deck so I zoomed in on the Pod, which was a considerable distance away, with my 300mm mounted on my Nikon D7100. After taking several shots I brought my camera down and looked around.

On both sides of me were passengers that had whipped out their pocket cameras, phones, and tablets and were trying to take photo's of the whales.

My thought at the time was Good Luck people.

Bob

Just migrated from D7100 to a D500. What a difference. Cruising in 50 days. Now am ordering new glass to keep up with the high end abilities of this remarkable camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So what lens are you looking at?

framer

I am ordering 3 new lens. My main goal being speed of the lens and sharpness I've done extensive research using sharpness tests. I am getting the sigma 18 to 35 1.8, the Tamron 24 to 70 2.8. And the Tamron 70 to 200 2.8. I have found a refurbished models for the short Tamron and will probably buy "like new used" for the other lenses total output for about $2500 for the three. I have no problem with graymarket lenses as I've never in 40 years of shooting had a Lens go back to the manufacture. Would appreciate your input and thoughts

• 3 weeks later...

Great responses and ideas, all.

I started with Canon in the early 1970s and migrated to Nikon in the early 1980s. Carried two F4 bodies and prime lenses - that Nikkor F4 200mm is the best lens I have ever enjoyed. Of course, that gets very heavy...

Reengaged with newer Nikon cameras a dozen years ago. First the D200 and the Nikkor 18-200mm for Alaska. Upped that to a D300S for a safari still with the 18-200mm and a prime 300mm (450 equivalent). GREAT images with the 18-200 on all kinds of animals and scenes. Easy enlargement to 18x24 and 24x36.

Now in my 70s even carrying the D300S for long periods got "heavy," so purchased a D7200 and the latest version of the 18-300mm. The D7200 is about 2/3rds the size and weight of the D300S but has all the trimmings, and more. Considered the D700/800, etc., but again weight became an issue. The D7200/18-300mm combo was perfect for two weeks in China and Tibet earlier this year. Taking it to Antarctica next week!

I also do NOT carry a standard camera bag. Years ago in the Galapagos found a formed nylon bag (Darwin Institute) perfect size for the D300S/18-200 and a few extra items. Can carry it all day, and while using the camera, usually strapped around my hand and wrist, the weight of the bag is negligible. It also doesn't shout "camera!"

I usually shoot in "P" mode and adjust the ISO based on available light. Works well, even inside the submarine tunnels at Balaklava.

Thanks for the nice description of your shooting history. I started in high school with a Minolta SRT 101. Moved to Nikon in graduate school with an FE. The N 90 s. Took that to Africa. Moved to D100. Then D 200 then 7100. Wildlife is my favorite. Lived in FL for 15 years. Now in Wisconsin. In addition to the new lens I also have the Tamron 16-300. It's a bit soft for the D500. Now I am looking for a good ultra wide. 10-24 or so.

Thanks for the nice description of your shooting history. I started in high school with a Minolta SRT 101. Moved to Nikon in graduate school with an FE. The N 90 s. Took that to Africa. Moved to D100. Then D 200 then 7100. Wildlife is my favorite. Lived in FL for 15 years. Now in Wisconsin. In addition to the new lens I also have the Tamron 16-300. It's a bit soft for the D500. Now I am looking for a good ultra wide. 10-24 or so.

The Tokina 11-19 is supposed to be excellent aps-c ultrawide. I've used the Tamron 10-24 and it covered a nice range. Not the sharpest lens on earth but acceptable. Tamron is about to announce a new 10-24 which will likely be much better.

I shoot with the Tamron 24-70/2.8 on the d750. Great lens, but on aps-c, I'd go with the Tamron 17-50/2.8.

For Alaska, I'd also rent the Nikon 300/4 pf. I bought it primarily for Alaska. Fantastic wildlife lens without much weight. Weighs much less than a 70-200/2.8, and much sharper, and longer.

Looked through your “galleries”. Some excellent shots. We were on the Oasis a few years back, pretty much the same ship, but I believe the Allure is 1/8” longer? And the Oasis did not have the “Dog House”. Anyway, we’ll be going to Alaska at the end of May, on the Grand Princess. Looking forward to getting some of the shots of going under the Golden Gate Bridge such as what you took.

I also have the Tamron 16-300.

We’ll be going to Alaska at the end of May, on the Grand Princess. Looking to get a new lens for that trip. Camera is a D7100. Only lenses right now are a 50mm f1.8D and 105mm f2.5 AI-S. Looking at either the Tamron 16-300 or the Nikon 18-300. Leaning towards the Nikon but there’s an amazing deal going on until the beginning of March on the Tamron ($499). How do you like the Tamron? Why didn’t you go with the Nikon, was it only price?

Edited by kb6kgx

D7200 and the latest version of the 18-300mm.

Have a D7100. Looking for new zoom for upcoming Alaska cruise. When you say “latest version”, do you mean the newer f6.3? If so, how do you like it? Do you regret not spending the extra $300 for the 6.3 and 5mm larger front lens element? How is the build quality of that lens and the AF speed? I’m looking at getting that one, but there’s a great deal right now on the Tamron 16-300 for almost $200 less than the Nikon.

Also, thinking about the 18-140 (because it’s supposed to be the sharpest of Nikon’s DX zooms) and a 300mm prime (maybe an older f4.5 AI-s).

with my 300mm mounted on my Nikon D7100. After taking several shots I brought my camera down and looked around.

Was that a current 300mm AF lens? If so, which version? I used to have a 300mm f4.5 AI-s, but it was stolen many years back and I was looking at possibly getting another one. They’re a LOT less than the “modern” ones.

On both sides of me were passengers that had whipped out their pocket cameras, phones, and tablets and were trying to take photo's of the whales.

My thought at the time was Good Luck people.

Exactly. Precisely why I’m bringing my D7100 on our next cruise.

I have the Tamron 16-300. Good lens for 7100. I upgraded to D500 and found it to be softer at higher ISO. Just got the Tamron 70-200 2.8. Tack sharp. Coupled it with a new Tamron 24-70 2.8 and have the Tokina 11-20 2.8 on order to to be out my new kit

with my 300mm mounted on my Nikon D7100. After taking several shots I brought my camera down and looked around.

Was that a current 300mm AF lens? If so, which version? I used to have a 300mm f4.5 AI-s, but it was stolen many years back and I was looking at possibly getting another one. They’re a LOT less than the “modern” ones.

Exactly. Precisely why I’m bringing my D7100 on our next cruise

It was a Nikon ED 18-300mm 1:3.5-5.6G VR lens. I had another lens with me, but did not switch out during the entire cruise.

Bob

Another Nikon girl here. When I was in college, my dream camera was the Nikkormat EL. Finally bought one and still have it. ;) Used to drive DH crazy because I was a journalism major, minor in photojournalism, and I still shoot like a news photographer. I'd shoot a 36-exposure roll, keep one or two, and throw away the rest. "What was wrong with them?" "Nothing, they just weren't the best shots." lol Now, with digital, I can throw away "not the best shots" without paying for developing. DH is much happier.

Just bought a D3400 a few months ago (and laughed myself silly to see that they kept the bulge on the right side that used to be necessary to hold the film cassette). I bought this because it came in a kit with 2 zooms, 18-55 and 70-300. I am a big fan of zooms, although you sacrifice some speed and sharpness the flexibility is more important to me - almost makes it a point-and-shoot but with high quality. (And I'm drooling over the 18-300 someone mentioned earlier!) Looking forward to using it on our upcoming Alaska cruise!

I'm drooling over the 18-300 someone mentioned earlier!) Looking forward to using it on our upcoming Alaska cruise!
when travelling, I love my 18-200mm and 18-300mm as I don't have time for lens swaps. Check out this vid....

[YOUTUBE]G8ghz3KuQ-w[/YOUTUBE]

With regards to Tamron.... I had the 28-300mm. While the VC was great.... it would not autofocus half the time when I zoomed out to 300mm. I lost many good shots when the autofocus failed. I sold the Tamron when Nikon announced their version.

Nikon AW130 for above and below pics and videos. WiFi for transfer to Ipad once in board.

Olympus DSLR, tons of lenses, Gary Fong diffusers, flash units, Manfrotto tripod on and on. For more serious photo work.

I have to admit the Nikon is very versital for underwater and at the beach or point 'n shoot situtations.

Had fun shooting with my new D3400 the other day. Need to get used to new camera before the cruise. Our son's dog was visiting so I set the camera to shutter preferred and got some nice action shots. I was going to insert one but I don't see a way to add a picture, the "insert image" option apparently only links to pix already posted on the web.

Had fun shooting with my new D3400 the other day. Need to get used to new camera before the cruise. Our son's dog was visiting so I set the camera to shutter preferred and got some nice action shots. I was going to insert one but I don't see a way to add a picture, the "insert image" option apparently only links to pix already posted on the web.

Here is a thread that helps with posting pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714741

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Antarctica south of the Antarctic Circle on Fram. Camera/lens of choice was a Nikon D7200 with the newest Nikkor 18-300mm (effective 27-450mm) lens. Downsized to the D7200 from a 3-number body for the convenience of the lighter total weight (important as we get more mature and need to carry cameras - the combination easily straps around my wrist and becomes an extension of the arm). Just starting to sort the 4,000-odd images ranging from up close an personal with 162,354 penguins to fantastic sunsets to two orcas with heads out of the water eyeing a seal on an ice flow for dinner (7fps comes in handy). The 18-300mm did superbly, to include fitting into a water proof pouch for the Polar Circle trips to the shore. Others on the trip using everything from huge 600mm lenses on high end bodies to the ubiquitous smartphone. Ship's photographer used a wide-to-telephoto zoom lens for all her images. Similar results using the 18-300mm in China last May and its predecessor 18-200mm on safari and in Alaska.

Heh. Didn't even know this sub forum was here.

Nothing super interesting recent to report, but I am a Nikon user - D500 with a selection of lenses, Sigma Art 24-105 as the standard on body, with a D7000 for backup.