Clampram

Which ereader do you like?

I am finally breaking down and want to purchase an ereader, especially before our cruise in December. I am a voracious reader so I usually have to pack 5-6 books for a couple of weeks vacation! The fact that ebooks are less expensive is important to me as well as not having to pack all those books in my bag!

My concerns are about the display in the sunlight, size, figuring out how to use it and cost. I certainly don't want to pay a monthly fee ...........but it seems that is not the case?

Which reader do you like and why?

Thanks in advance!

I am finally breaking down and want to purchase an ereader, especially before our cruise in December. I am a voracious reader so I usually have to pack 5-6 books for a couple of weeks vacation! The fact that ebooks are less expensive is important to me as well as not having to pack all those books in my bag!

My concerns are about the display in the sunlight, size, figuring out how to use it and cost. I certainly don't want to pay a monthly fee ...........but it seems that is not the case?

Which reader do you like and why?

Thanks in advance!

We bought two Kindles for our family. I have newer Paper White and my DW has an older model one. We have collected about 3000+ books for the kindle. Many of my DW favorites (like Agatha Christie) are available for the Kindle . Our DIL and DD both have kindles that are registered on our account . They can use our books as well. The issue we have is borrowing eBooks from our local library. The problem is the system they use not our kindles.

I like my Nook. The eInk technology is easy on the eyes (it looks like a paperback book's paper). It's easy to adjust the brightness level. It has a backlight setting for night reading. I mostly download books from my local library so it's cheap. If I charge it up and don't use the nightlight it will easily last for a two-week vacation so I don't need to pack a charger. I've never bought books for it so I keep the wifi setting off all the time.

I even save a copy of our travel docs as a PDF and load it on as a backup.

I have a Kindle Voyage and love it! Love the e-ink technology. When I bought the Voyage, the PaperWhite had a lower DPI. It has now increased to that of the Voyage. Not sure if I would spend the extra money for the Voyage now due to that but I do love my Voyage. I do like the adaptive built in light so I can read it outside and also at night. The Voyage automatically adjusts the light but you can adjust it also. I have not had a need to do so as it does such a good job.

I never thought I would like abandoning real books but I prefer the Kindle now. I also download books from the library and am irritated when the library doesn't have the book I want and I have to borrow the real book. Ironically - I have not bought many books, I get a lot of free books or use the library over-drive rental. My library does support the kindle.

You can adjust the text size on the kindle (and probably most readers). No monthly fee on what I bought. I did not pay extra for the advertisement free as that only happens when you first open it up, it is not a big deal.

Edited by Coral

Be sure and see if your local library participates in Overdrive. It is an app that you can download and borrow books from your library and download them from Amazon. We love it! We even use our daughters library card as she is not a big reader and her library has more liberal lending rules and better selection!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be sure and see if your local library participates in Overdrive. It is an app that you can download and borrow books from your library and download them from Amazon. We love it! We even use our daughters library card as she is not a big reader and her library has more liberal lending rules and better selection!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love Overdrive! That is genius to have access to another libraries' books. I know I have looked for books at my library and they don't have them or are checked out when other libraries have them according to my friends. So each library must have to buy their own books for Overdrive.

Edited by Coral

Love Overdrive! That is genius to have access to another libraries' books. I know I have looked for books at my library and they don't have them or are checked out when other libraries have them according to my friends. So each library must have to buy their own books for Overdrive.

I have contemplated finding a friend in Dallas to have access to their huge library too! When you login you just choose your library. For long cruises like we like to take we can have 20 books loaded! Glad I helped!

I've had a kindle fire for a few years now and love it. Besides being an ereader I can leave my laptop at home usually for shorter, 7 night cruises, but don't know if I'll want to do that with upcoming 14 night.

It doesn't work well in bright sunlight but that doesn't bother me. When outside am doing other things.

Now have a first gen Paperwhite. Really like it.

There are websites that show the free books. bookbub.com and ereaderiq.com are two. Overdrive (library books) is a bit clunky. Amazon continues to change up its website, making it harder to find the 'priced low to high' button. Disclaimer-I use my iPhone to search for books, not my computer.

Edited by SadieN

I have the Kindle Voyage. It's smaller, lighter, and auto-adjusts for light. With an "origami" cover, I carry it with me everywhere in a small purse. I'm never without it. :) Have dozens (hundreds?) of books on my Voyage sorted into collections: Read Next; Read Some Day; Book Club; Library Borrowed; Kindle Unlimited; etc.

I, too, use Overdrive to download books from my library. I also get daily emails from ereadernewsday.com with free and almost free books and have discovered a lot of authors I wouldn't have otherwise known about. Another source for free books is BookBub.

I have both a kindle fire and a paperwhite. The paperwhite is hands down the best e-reader. I love it. We have several types of kindles for various family members, and I love that we only have to buy the book once and we can all read it. My library allows borrowing through overdrive and I love it too.

I, also, never thought that I could give up a physical book, but I love how you can reference something through x-ray. Also, if you have amazon prime you can now borrow books for free straight through them.

I use the free Kindle app and read books on my phone. I have a Samsung Note 5. A little smaller than a Kindle, but the screen is more than large enough. Not to me one less device to carry around.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

I just use my Ipad. Then I still have it available for games, and getting online when in port etc. I get my books from all those same companies mentioned above, Book bub, overdrive, amazon.

This is all great info.thanks....

I am concerned to be able to read outside since we also do some boating here in the Northeast.

So, no one pays a monthly fee to use this type of device, then??

I have gone from a kindle to the B&N version to an iPad. I like the iPad the best, because it is so multifunctional.

I am concerned to be able to read outside since we also do some boating here in the Northeast.

So, no one pays a monthly fee to use this type of device, then??

No fee to use the Kindle or the Kindle app on any device. The iPad is hard to read in sunlight or any bright light. You'll need a service plan with the iPad. I read a lot and find the iPad Mini or Kindle Fire too heavy to hold for very long. I've noticed that women are more likely to use a Kindle than a tablet like the iPad or Kindle Fire due to weight. Edited by Pam in CA

I bought a Nook a few years ago, when I discovered I couldn't read outside with an iPad.

First, determine where you are going to get your ebooks, if Amazon, then you need a Kindle, if B&N, then you need a Nook.

Just get the simple eInk one, not the full blown tablet.

Kindle Paperwhite is my third and best Kindle. Readable in the dark or bright sunlight. Never registered it just download ebooks onto it with the cord from my PC . Downloaded all my ebooks free with torrents in MOBI format which is common but if you download in EPUB format you can use a free program called Caliber to change format in a minute or two.

You can buy a like new Paperwhite for maybe $60 on ebay. Doesn't matter if its blocked from Amazon and downloading their books as you don't need to do that of necessity.

Mine was lost property and sold on Ebay, the vendor had hundreds of them. Still working great after several years. I sat on my old one and broke it, which is quite hard to do as they are reasonably tough.

My local library does participate in Overdrive so that's good!

Free books, Pam in Ca? Love that!

Emily

I bought a Nook a few years ago, when I discovered I couldn't read outside with an iPad.

First, determine where you are going to get your ebooks, if Amazon, then you need a Kindle, if B&N, then you need a Nook.

Just get the simple eInk one, not the full blown tablet.

So if you have a Nook, you can't download from Amazon?

We are confirmed Kindle lovers...because they are perfect for using in sunlight. The Paperwhite models also give you backlighting for low light situations...and one could argue it is the best of both worlds. Devices like iPads (we have one and love it) are near useless in direct or near direct sunlight. We also like the fact that Kindles are pretty inexpensive...so we are comfortable using ours on beaches where they are exposed to some sand and salt.

Hank

We each have a kindle paper white and love them. In addition to the points above, I have found several sites where I can get books cheap, or even free. I like mysteries and between the sites, I get 2 or3 free books each day. Some are not very good, but with all I have, I delete any that are not good.

I used mine a lot when my wife was hospitalized and then spent a month in rehab in 2014. I would usually arrive before she woke, so I would sit in the dark room and read a kindle book. No problem seeing.

I also spend hours on our balcony at home and on the ship reading in bright daylight without an problem.

Downloading on these library systems do have drawbacks. Lack of selection and only being allowed to download for a max of two weeks. Some have renewals but only under certain conditions. That is why I have come to rely on downloading from Kindle for the longer books and only downloading the short snappy fun reads on my Overdrive and 3M system. After I nearly went blind trying to read one of the Outlander books in two weeks I realized that Jamie and Claire were not worth my vision! Nor are the last three novels. Let them rot in the 1700's in North Carolina.

We are confirmed Kindle lovers...because they are perfect for using in sunlight. The Paperwhite models also give you backlighting for low light situations...and one could argue it is the best of both worlds. Devices like iPads (we have one and love it) are near useless in direct or near direct sunlight. We also like the fact that Kindles are pretty inexpensive...so we are comfortable using ours on beaches where they are exposed to some sand and salt.

Hank

OK.........bear with me.

Several people mentioned downloading books from free sites.

How do you do that with the ereader if it is not connected to a "monthly" service?

Or, are you downloading to your main computer and then sending it to the ereader via a local connection??

What is that XRay thing?

Thanks!

This would be easier if I had a 12 year old at home!