Cruise Critic Community

Will be on the Sonata Oct 17 2016. Should I get Euro? What is the best to do for the different countries?

Will be on the Sonata Oct 17 2016. Should I get Euro? What is the best to do for the different countries?

What countries will you be visiting?

cAROLE

Hi F858MM,

Converting a small amount of cash to euro prior to departure can often be helpful. Our ships do not have cash machines but ATMs and ABMs are widely available throughout Europe and readily accessible during shore excursions. We recommend notifying your bank of your travel plans so they can inform you of any applicable foreign transaction fees and/or restrictions.

Major credit cards (Visa/MasterCard/American Express) are also accepted in most European shops, hotels and restaurants. Some places may require a minimum charge for using credit cards and others may not accept certain cards, so it’s best to bring more than one and/or have some cash at the ready. As with your debit card, we recommend notifying your credit card company of your travel plans and also inquire about any applicable foreign transaction fees and/or restrictions.

Lastly, Travelers Checks can be exchanged for local currency on board in limited amounts. There may be a foreign transaction fee for this service and daily conversion rates apply.

If you have any additional questions, I recommend contacting your travel agent or our reservations agents at 800-626-0126.

Safe travels and we look forward to welcoming aboard the beautiful AmaSonata next week!

-Kristin

Will be visiting, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, hungary

I can only speak to Croatia, but their currency is the Croatian Kuna. While some places may accept Euros, the exchange rate they offer will not be in your favor. Many small vendors and definitely public sites require Kuna.