NYC Restaurants

Misty_Que

Can anyone Recommend a good seafood restaurant in the midtown area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been to Blue Fin and it's good. Even though it's in Times Square it's really not touristy. Are there better seafood restaurants, of course. I have also dined at Le Bernardin, which is one of the best in the country, but the price also reflects that. What kind of seafood are you looking for? Many Greek restaurants serve fresh fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm with Got2Cruise on this one. Need more information.

I've also eaten at Blue Fin in the past and it was very good. Externally, it's changed quite a bit as it used to be the entire front of the W Hotel and there's now a Dos Caminos on the first floor. Assuming the restaurant hasn't changed, it's quite good.

But, if someone just asked me to recommend a seafood restaurant in Midtown, I'm going to ask how much are you willing to pay and what are you looking for. Because, without a doubt, Le Bernadin is the answer to this question, if you're willing to pay the price. As in lunch for $87 (haven't checked lately) per person plus tax and tip for a three course fix prix meal, and dinner for $150 for a four course fix prix meal. And the opportunity to dine at a Michelin 3-star restaurant for a world-class meal.

But, as George notes, many other places in Midtown serve seafood. Depends on what you're looking for (I've answered this question before with Le Bernadin and had people say they saw nothing on the menu that appealed to them. At one of only 14 Michelin 3-star restaurants in the United States. So this really depends on what you're looking for.)

Chain restaurants are definitely not on our list of places to eat. If any member of my group would like to eat there, they are free to go ahead......on their own :D

Yes. I don't know why anyone would recommend a national chain restaurant in the culinary capital of the world. I recommend the Fig and Olive. A nice mixed menu(including steak and fish) and the crostinis are awesome.

Thanks everyone for the help. I have compiled a list with all your recommendations to take with me. I am sure we won't have any issues finding a place to suit everyone.

one note about a 2 of the places we mentioned, 2 years ago we were at Joe Allen late on a Sunday night with a large group only other person/group in there was Joan Rivers who was at next table but we maid too much noise so her group went to another section. Also have seen lots of famous people in Gallaghers over the years

one note about a 2 of the places we mentioned, 2 years ago we were at Joe Allen late on a Sunday night with a large group only other person/group in there was Joan Rivers who was at next table but we maid too much noise so her group went to another section. Also have seen lots of famous people in Gallaghers over the years

Wow, thanks! Gallagher's is actually right behind the hotel we are staying at.

Gallaghers has the best bar and the best bartenders in the area we also stay in this area ( at the Michelangelo)

Thanks! I would love to stay at the Michelangelo but for this trip it was out of our price range....especially when travelling with a group. I got a fantastic deal at the Novotel that couldn't be beat so hopefully it is a nice place. It has some great reviews so I am sure it will suit us just fine.

Galaghers is a good restaurant, but quite pricey. If they are not really "into food" I would suggest Olive Garden, in the Times Square area, which is a totally predictable restaurant that would be much cheaper and probably acceptable to those without a desire to have NYC food choices.

Galaghers is a good restaurant, but quite pricey.

I think that's what several people on this board have been trying to explain, but with little success. Dinner at Gallagher's could easily start at $70 per person without drinks, tax, tip, etc., which is not, I think, what these people are looking for or expecting. It's a great steakhouse, but it's not cheap. I ate there a number of times before they gutted it and rebuilt it, and enjoyed it very much.

Edited by Langoustine

You could not pay me to eat in Olive garden in any location, Gallaghers does offer free home made potato chips at the bar, but it is not cheap, it has lots of history was a speak easy in the 1920's . If you want cheap Italian Angelo's pizza is another place we visit on every trip and its only a few blocks from Gallaghers next to where Ed Sullivan theater, Loads of Italian places on same block as Joe Allans. our favorite is Becco but again that is Italian.

I think that's what several people on this board have been trying to explain, but with little success. Dinner at Gallagher's could easily start at $70 per person without drinks, tax, tip, etc., which is not, I think, what these people are looking for or expecting. It's a great steakhouse, but it's not cheap. I ate there a number of times before they gutted it and rebuilt it, and enjoyed it very much.

Couldn't bring myself to go to Olive Garden, but yeah, you really have to adjust your sights on pricing in Manhattan. I think I spent $70 on a burger and two Manhattans at a Marriott this weekend (by choice); in town by myself and didn't feel like eating at a restaurant bar or grabbing something at a bodega. If I'm in town with my wife, we're at John's and Le Bernadin, with a bodega or two thrown in just for something to eat. And we recognize we're paying for it.

Yes people that complain on cost of drinks on a cruise should never visit NYC, but almost every place on restaurant row 46th between 8th and 9th you can eat for 30 dollars not counting drinks. But other than Joe Allen most are Italian or some other ethnic food which poster was trying to stay away from. But I love staying here. (lived here for my 1st 30 years) , some of the local Irish pubs have decent food at a decent price also,

DH and I don't mind paying the price for good food so we will most likely head to Gallagher's one evening on our own. The rest of the group I think will prefer cheaper eats but I'm sure we will have no problem finding something. I can go to Olive Garden at home. I will not go in NYC! Plus Italian is off the list. And I LOVE Italian[emoji17]

DH and I don't mind paying the price for good food so we will most likely head to Gallagher's one evening on our own. The rest of the group I think will prefer cheaper eats but I'm sure we will have no problem finding something. I can go to Olive Garden at home. I will not go in NYC! Plus Italian is off the list. And I LOVE Italian[emoji17]

Please post after you return. I know everyone will have a fabulous time.

Can anyone Recommend a good seafood restaurant in the midtown area?

Probably the best (as well as most reasonably priced) seafood restaurant in New York is the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station - great variety, good prices, unpretentious. It has been there many years - dozens of varieties of oysters and clams on half shell, beautifully grilled fresh fish, great chowders.

Check the New York Times food section and also check out Time Out New York. Popular burger place is Shake Shack. Agree with the suggestion of Juniors (OK food but great cheesecake).

You don't come to New York to eat at Juniors or Shake Shack. For really good burgers - not over-priced (unless you balk at a Double Whopper) is Bills at 16 Wesr 51 St. also good other selections.