Why a Cabana?

Tom O.

The Lido ones are down the side of the pool area near the food and the pool with sunbeds right up to them. they even had tables and chairs for eating right outside them

I guess we need to define what is "near". The Lido cabanas are on the opposite side of the ship from The Dive In, and in the forward portion of the Lido pool area. The Lido Buffet (forget the new name) is aft of the pool, in a different room.

Yes there are sun beds and tables around, and it is definitely not a congestion free area. The Lido pool area has never been congestion free. But relatively speaking, the cabanas are not near the food.

TheEmerson, I saw in another post I was researching that you booked a cabana on a cruise to Alaska that you took this summer. You had mentioned in the thread that you would post photos and give us your thoughts on the cabana experience on the Alaska cold water cruise when you got back. I am thinking about booking one on HA in May/June of next year and would love to get your insight. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Oh yes. Forgot about that. First off the few photos I took are on that factual site I cannot link to. But they are there in the Sports Deck area. For the time frame you are looking, you will nearly be the only ones to use it. Overall they are not used by many people than Glacier Bay. I expected cold, wind and rain so I got what I was expecting when it comes to the weather. The Cabanas took a major beating while in Australia. Tears to the fabric, one of the family units was a total loss. The head of Food and Beverage came to me directly to apologize for the state, I never once complained about the appearance as ship happens.

While in port I would come up and relax for an hour or two around lunch. Dive-In, drinks and ice cream were brought up to me each day I was there.

Overall was it truly worth it for the whole trip in Alaska, no. But knowing I have the space reserved, having a place for my family to have the best views on the ship for Glacier Bay, having full service offering for the day was totally worth it. So if anything book one for that day.

I guess we need to define what is "near". The Lido cabanas are on the opposite side of the ship from The Dive In, and in the forward portion of the Lido pool area. The Lido Buffet (forget the new name) is aft of the pool, in a different room.

Yes there are sun beds and tables around, and it is definitely not a congestion free area. The Lido pool area has never been congestion free. But relatively speaking, the cabanas are not near the food.

Actually, the are on the opposite side as the Dive In on Eurodam, but on the same side on NA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just booked a Lido Cabana on an upcoming Eurodam cruise where we have an aft balcony. A big part of our Carib cruise experience is hanging out at the pool and it is comforting to have our own poolside lounging space guaranteed. If you look at the price (199 week) and compare to a cabana experience at a typical resort hotel the HAL cabana is much cheaper by a large measure.

NCL and Princess have dedicated areas that offer a similar experience but these are not guaranteed prior to the cruise.The only question I have is why these cabanas are not sold out well prior to most cruises. Of course everyone has their own priorities but to me this indulgence is well worth the price of admission. JMHO and I will be happy to report on our experience when we return.

We just booked a Lido Cabana on an upcoming Eurodam cruise where we have an aft balcony. A big part of our Carib cruise experience is hanging out at the pool and it is comforting to have our own poolside lounging space guaranteed. If you look at the price (199 week) and compare to a cabana experience at a typical resort hotel the HAL cabana is much cheaper by a large measure.

NCL and Princess have dedicated areas that offer a similar experience but these are not guaranteed prior to the cruise.The only question I have is why these cabanas are not sold out well prior to most cruises. Of course everyone has their own priorities but to me this indulgence is well worth the price of admission. JMHO and I will be happy to report on our experience when we return.

Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. There are more on Eurodam than on NA, so that may be part of the reason.

We feel the same way about the price. To us, always having a place and chair waiting for us is well worth the price of admission (not to mention the awesome service and special perks). As I said before, we spend a lot of time around the pool, but mixed in with that time are walks around the decks, time in the hydropool and thermal suite, etc...so keeping a pool chair would qualify us as a "chair hog" and that's not who we are.

Here's why I did the Retreat Cabana. They're 18 & 16 on this sailing. Best $449 we've ever spent.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1385416_542701025817403_437810814_n.jpg?oh=e5b2558c52f55a714633367458602e6f&oe=58D22C6B

And this is four people in a HAL balcony room. Way too small.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1383848_542703585817147_561072156_n.jpg?oh=1d0c7acb661d086776cd629cc4b63658&oe=5892AF25

The same four of us but older doing the OV in the Eurodam again. That Retreat Cabana will be well used. Basically four people in one of those little rooms is a bit like camping in luxury. But we make it work and we keep the room pretty neat.

Edited by Rinderoo

We are booked for the last Caribbean cruise of the season on the NA and then are staying aboard for the 20 day repositioning to Vancouver.

We do like to sit near the pool but know the 7 day portion will be wall to wall kids who may or may not be under control. For that reason we have booked a cabana with my very good friend/shopping buddy and her husband. We can still overlook the pool but have a private space.

From experience we know that the repositioning cruise will only have a few kids on board and on the longer cruises the kids tend to be really well behaved. Therefore we have not bothered with renting the cabana on the Panama portion of our cruise.

Why would anyone want a Cabana, if they have a balcony?

I don't know much about them, so I would like to understand what is so good about them that people spend extra for them.

I am not being critical of them, I am just seeking information.

I did a search here on CC about them and found out a lot about the cost and how to rent them, but nothing on the advantages of them.

We really enjoyed the retreat cabanas on the Eurodam a couple years back. Here are a few things we liked best

1. Relaxing in a secluded area that's not overcrowded

2. Service from the cabana attendance was excellent.

3. We enjoyed the amenities that came with the cabana such as free bottled water, sparkling wine, fresh fruit plates, chocolate covered strawberries and gelato.

4. Loved the fact that they would provide you with lunch menus and deliver your items right to your cabana - which is perfect when you want to avoid the Lido chaos.

These are just a few things that we really enjoyed about the cabana. Booked the cabana for 21 days on the Koningsdam sailing 23rd of November. Really looking forward to being spoiled [emoji847]

Why would anyone want a Cabana, if they have a balcony?

I don't know much about them, so I would like to understand what is so good about them that people spend extra for them.

I am not being critical of them, I am just seeking information.

I did a search here on CC about them and found out a lot about the cost and how to rent them, but nothing on the advantages of them.

Reasons to or not to are different for each person/couple/family. My husband and I are cruising with his brother and wife. We each have a balcony room but also have rented a family retreat cabana. We have many reasons that for us make perfect sense but maybe not for others.

We will have a location where we can be together; come & go and know where to meet up; always have shade which is crucial to us; enjoy great views but still be "outside" and close to other activities; towels & bathrobes; having our own loungers for reading and/or relaxing yet be together instead of on separate balconies; table & chairs for dining; have bottled water and misters; lunch brought to us; afternoon champagne & chocolate covered strawberries ... oh, and did I mention shade!

It is another way to enhance our vacation.

My wife and I love the Retreat Cabanas, regardless of the type of cabin we are staying in. We like them, so we book them when we can. That's really all that matters.

Exactly! You can like them, or not. But some seem to think if they don't have any use for them then no one else should either.:rolleyes:

We are booked for the last Caribbean cruise of the season on the NA and then are staying aboard for the 20 day repositioning to Vancouver.

We do like to sit near the pool but know the 7 day portion will be wall to wall kids who may or may not be under control. For that reason we have booked a cabana with my very good friend/shopping buddy and her husband. We can still overlook the pool but have a private space.

From experience we know that the repositioning cruise will only have a few kids on board and on the longer cruises the kids tend to be really well behaved. Therefore we have not bothered with renting the cabana on the Panama portion of our cruise.

Having a meeting place to share with friends actually makes sense, if you have friends travelling with you and everyone wants to be near the pool without having to fuss about having loungers all together, or shade, or no shade :) I'm still not convinced, but you make a good point. I think you have IDd one reason that would make sense to us.

Having a meeting place to share with friends actually makes sense, if you have friends travelling with you and everyone wants to be near the pool without having to fuss about having loungers all together, or shade, or no shade :) I'm still not convinced, but you make a good point. I think you have IDd one reason that would make sense to us.

What you say is true and it also saves the running back and forth to communicate if we both had separate cabanas. We had connecting balconies with the partition open on our last cruise and that worked well too.

Do all the ships have cabanas or just the newer ones?

Can you rent them just for the day or does it have to be for the entire cruise?

All of the Vista and Signature class ships, along with Koningsdam, have them. (One Vista might not have received it's retrofit cabanas yet.)

The older ships, referred as R and S class ships, are not getting them.

You can buy for the entire cruise in advance, or on board, if available. Daily rentals are only done on board, if space is available.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Exactly! You can like them, or not. But some seem to think if they don't have any use for them then no one else should either.:rolleyes:

Yea that's what sometimes irritates me. that's why I really appreciate those that simply say why or how they benefit from it (or other things such as explore 4) and that can help me in making a decision as to whether or not I feel that it would suit my needs.

Hadn't heard of these cabanas before. We are going on the Westerdam in two weeks. Are they available on the Westerdam???

I was on the Westerdam in April and there were no cabanas. I am sure I recently read here on CC that they are a planned addition during the next dry dock.