Meet and Great mix up

bigfoot88

On a BA to Bermuda I arranged the M&G, I emailed and got a reply with day, 1st sea day and a time and meeting place.

I have been on the BA and to M&G several times SO I should have questioned the time and place; 11:30 in the Atlantic/Pacific room on the 6th desk. I was traveling a great deal before the trip and did not.

The day of the M&G I arrived at 11:10-11:15 and was told it was in La Cucina, I walked up, the Captain and Sr Staff had already talked to those that were there, spent a few minutes and left. I have no issue with the Capt/Sr Staff, they were given a time and were there, the info I was give was wrong.

I did bring my this the to Hotel Director, with 2 other issues, he address the current issues quickly and was going to look into the M&G mix up. The 2 other issues were items that were effecting the quality of the cruise, THANK YOU for addressing these in a timely manner.

On my return I emailed the address I had arrange the M&G with, 2 weeks and no reply.

In the future I will send a confirming email regarding the M&G location, if I ever arrange it. Also, I will make it a point to confirm with the hotel director, he/she is always around.

Note to NCL:

** I was embarrassed by the mix up, I made the arrangements

** I was not heard back from the email address that is used to arrange the M&G asking on a follow up on what happen.

** In the daily it would be nice to add a line with the M&G info, a note is lined for the "Friends of Bill W" and GLB meeting, adding a line for the M&G should not be hard. During the M&G other cruiser said other cruise lines add it to the daily.

A great cruise, as I expected, just disappointed with the M&G.

when I have co ordinated meet and greets there has always been a confirmation letter awaiting me in our stateroom stating the time and venue

If you arranged the meet and greet you should have got this and I would take this as a red flag for future set ups

NCL don't add the meet and greet to the freestyle daily as it is classed as a private party unlike friends of Dorothy etc which are open to all cruisers on board

when I have co ordinated meet and greets there has always been a confirmation letter awaiting me in our stateroom stating the time and venue

If you arranged the meet and greet you should have got this and I would take this as a red flag for future set ups

NCL don't add the meet and greet to the freestyle daily as it is classed as a private party unlike friends of Dorothy etc which are open to all cruisers on board

I got an email from the NCL Corp person with the confirmation, nothing on the ship.

Yes, the CC M&G is a Private Party, others are not listed. This is a gathering with ship staff, so I can see a reason to list it.

If I do arrange in March,,,, a double check will happen.

Sorry. It's private, by invitation only. So it shouldn't be in the daily. The others you mentioned are not by invitation. NCL doesn't food and beverages for those events. I've hosted M&Gs before, and have one I'm hosting next month. I have the confirmation letter with the time, and place to take with me. Had I been given a location that seems unusual for me, I would have asked immediately. They pretty much have them in the same place every week. La Cuchina is the normal Breakaway location, as Cagney's the normal Getaway and Escape location, the Cavern is the Epic location. I assume you reconfirmed 2 weeks prior to the cruise, with an updated number of attendees, and a time and location verification.

The number of anticipated participants may determine the location.

That noted check out the M & G location to see if it fits what you are

planning. It should not be in a location in or near a bar open to the public.

Preferably in a closed restaurant or designated meeting room.

Ideally one should check out the scheduled meeting place about an hour

before to see if things are being planned as expected - if not where did it

get moved to.

On the recent DAWN trip to New England and Canada the M & G place

was initially scheduled for the old internet lounge on Deck 9 an ill suited

location overlooking the open Atrium to Guest Relations/Shore Excursions and

the Bar and entertainment on Deck 7 and the Sheehans restaurant on Deck 8.

It was then relocated to Le Bistro on Deck 6 which proved excellent.

Formerly the M & Gs were in the Star Bar on Deck 13 which is now Moderno

and used for the Suite Guests as a Breakfast and Lunch restaurant.

Sorry that things did not go as planned.

M & Gs are definitely a +Positive+ way to get answers to questions and

develop a relationship with the crew even more so for first time cruisers

who would not be eligible for the Captains and Latitudes cocktail parties.

CC members should not pass the opportunity to attend a M & G - you have

a common interest - you post here - it is your chance to see the person

behind the post and share perhaps future cruise plans !

I've arranged a couple of meet and greets and they've always been at 11 a.m. on the first sea day. The location is dependent on the number of attendees anticipated. I was also wondering as I was reading it how everyone else knew where it had been moved to. If it wasn't supposed to start until 11:30, I'm surprised everyone had already come and gone by the time OP got there at 11:10ish.

It definitely should not be listed in the daily. I've seen people try to get into it even though they usually have a sign that it's a private party. Could you imagine if they listed it in the daily. There would be people attending who've never even heard of Cruise Critic.

OP, did you confirm the number a couple weeks before hand and did you get a letter stating when and where it would be? I've been asked each time to let them know the final number two or three weeks before the sailing date. They've always been really good about keeping me informed of the time and location and if it is changed, I get an email with a new agreement attached showing the new location.

Carnival listed the meet and greet on one cruise several years ago, but they just did it on their own and all but one family went to where we had all agreed on the roll call. Carnival wasn't in touch with anyone on the roll call, they just did it on their own which caused that one family to miss the gathering. :mad:

I'm confused. Where is the Atlantic/Pacific Room? :confused:

Aren't those the dining rooms on Carnival Victory?

As the OP stated, they are on Deck 6. If memory serves, I believe they are across the hallway from the Card Room and the Library.

As the OP stated, they are on Deck 6. If memory serves, I believe they are across the hallway from the Card Room and the Library.

Ah.. I see on the deck plans across from the card room and library it shows "meeting rooms". Those must be them. Just no names listed. See, I learned something new. :D

yes the room is across from the library. my gf and i passed by the room before 11 and just saw someone in there so killed time across the hall. big mistake, we should have gone in. went in 1120 with other folks and saw the sign to go upstairs.

as this was my 1st cruise i was kinda disappointed but many others were in the same boat. it was still nice to hear other peoples stories and get a few names. i should have spoken up and asked for a go around the room as i had no clue who most were and obviously you a screenname on CC to be invited. still unsure who everyone was.

i'm glad you did organize this and it gave me a taste of cruising and i want more. :) i heard nothing about the pub crawl but assume since nothing was in the paper that no arrests were made.

so what is done with the names/room numbers on the sign in sheet at the bar?

I must be missing something here, because I do not understand what the issue is. They made a mistake, and they had someone at the wrong location directing folks to the right location? What's the issue?

The issue was Bigfoot came late to their own meeting and need some one else to blame for it. :rolleyes:

Note: If Your the host show up early.

Edited by biker@sea

I must be missing something here, because I do not understand what the issue is. They made a mistake, and they had someone at the wrong location directing folks to the right location? What's the issue?

i think bigfoot felt bad because he had the wrong info. and when we went in the room it was sign saying go to la cucina at 11.

for me its not an issue per say, more a disappointment that we didnt get the m/g with the captain to mingle a few seconds and maybe ask a question.

i think bigfoot felt bad because he had the wrong info. and when we went in the room it was sign saying go to la cucina at 11.

for me its not an issue per say, more a disappointment that we didnt get the m/g with the captain to mingle a few seconds and maybe ask a question.

Gotcha, thanks.

The issue was Bigfoot came late to their own meeting and need some one else to blame for it. :rolleyes:

And don't arrange the M&G if you're not going to do the necessary follow up and confirmation. It's not fair to the rest of the group.

I think if the coordinator of the meet and greet got there early, they could have explained that there was a change in venue and folks could be a little late, so could the Captain and officers delay the gathering a little to give folks some time to show up. It could have been 5 minutes and I'd guess the Captain would have been agreeable.

I think if the coordinator of the meet and greet got there early, they could have explained that there was a change in venue and folks could be a little late, so could the Captain and officers delay the gathering a little to give folks some time to show up. It could have been 5 minutes and I'd guess the Captain would have been agreeable.

were you there. i wish we had nametags and intros. no clue who half the ppl were

were you there. i wish we had nametags and intros. no clue who half the ppl were

What you are talking about is an entirely seperate issue related to how the coordinator handled her duties of setting up the meeting. This is why they should come very early, before anyone gets there, to set up the sign in sheet and name tags and greet people as they arrive. If you are in the group which arrives early, you can mingle and talk to people before the meeting starts. Once it's over, people start scattering to the four winds.

From your posts, it sounds like the meeting was scheduled for 11:30. When you entered at 11:20 with others, you found a sign stating not only was the location changed, but that it was starting a full 30 minutes ahead of schedule at 11:00. I can't believe the ship would think this was acceptable. But, if the coordinator had been there early, at 11:00 or even earlier, she could have gotten this across to the ship's rep. It sounds to me like the ship thought the meeting was at 11:00, and they were simply changing the location.

What you are talking about is an entirely seperate issue related to how the coordinator handled her duties of setting up the meeting. This is why they should come very early, before anyone gets there, to set up the sign in sheet and name tags and greet people as they arrive. If you are in the group which arrives early, you can mingle and talk to people before the meeting starts. Once it's over, people start scattering to the four winds.

From your posts, it sounds like the meeting was scheduled for 11:30. When you entered at 11:20 with others, you found a sign stating not only was the location changed, but that it was starting a full 30 minutes ahead of schedule at 11:00. I can't believe the ship would think this was acceptable. But, if the coordinator had been there early, at 11:00 or even earlier, she could have gotten this across to the ship's rep. It sounds to me like the ship thought the meeting was at 11:00, and they were simply changing the location.

For sure, come early,stay late!

We have meet lot's of real nice folk at the M&G's. :D

Come early Ncl staff set up coffee ,Juice, muffins and such. Long before the brass show's up. :cool:

P.S. It was very nice to Meet one of the senior Cruise Critic editors @ our last M&G too.

Edited by biker@sea

It sounds like Bigfoot thought he or she was coming early--they said it was scheduled for 11:30 but NCL changed the time to 11:00 and moved it to a different venue. When I host, I usually arrive at least 30 minutes early, but there's no requirement to do so.

It's just odd to me that NCL would schedule the M&G at 11:30--every M&G I've attended or even heard about on NCL has been at 11:00 a.m. not 11:30. If they change anything about it, they notify the host, so why Bigfoot didn't get any notification is a mystery as that's their standard practice.

It sounds like Bigfoot thought he or she was coming early--they said it was scheduled for 11:30 but NCL changed the time to 11:00 and moved it to a different venue. When I host, I usually arrive at least 30 minutes early, but there's no requirement to do so.

It's just odd to me that NCL would schedule the M&G at 11:30--every M&G I've attended or even heard about on NCL has been at 11:00 a.m. not 11:30. If they change anything about it, they notify the host, so why Bigfoot didn't get any notification is a mystery as that's their standard practice.

No requirement to do so, just common sense if you are the coordinator and in charge of making sure everything goes right, to arrive well before others start showing up. I'd say at least 45 minutes before the scheduled start time, as people often come 30 minutes or more early so they can meet people and chat. IMO, 15 minutes beforehand is not "showing up early".

If no one meets you at the door, directs you to sign in and put on a name tag, people just sail on by. Volunteering to be Meet&Greet Coordinator involves more responsibility than just emailing a head count, getting a time/location and getting VIP status for the cruise.