Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

Taxis offer a tour for an hour (from memory) and they drop you off at the top of the hill. So you save the cablecar cost. So in effect you get the tour for free. We did this then got the cablecar down then walked the wall.

Do you remember about how much the taxi charged you for an hour? Did you have to pay cash? Euros? Good info, thank you for sharing.

Hi, Dubrovniklady

Would you have recommendations for a great restaurant for lunch in Dubrovnik?

We have something to celebrate, so the price doesn't matter.

Last time we were there we spotted a place called 360 (I think) .it looked nice but we were already on the way home. Is it any good?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dubrovnik Lady,

Can you recommend places to visit for someone with mobility issues. We will have a wheelchair with us and he can walk short distances. Will taxis accept wheelchairs that fold? Thanks for your assistance.:D

Most of the larger taxi trunks will accommodate folding wheelchairs. You will be able to enter the old town with ease. There are steps but also an easy walking path taking you directly to the opening. The middle of our main promenade is your best walk, it is flat and easy to navigate. Most of the historical sites have some steps to enter, but at the Rectors Palace they did have a contraption which took the wheelchair and occupant up the steps. Do not know if it will be here next season, so much changes very quickly. If nothing else, you will be able to wander about and enjoy our green market, the small side walks and also use the smaller street which runs parallel to our Stradun. A great place to eat is Taj Mahal, on the flat part of old town. Make reservations it is very small and always very, very busy. Have a great day visiting my beloved retirement home.

We are going to be in Dubrovnik on May 20th. Very excited as we are GOT fans but sadly for a very short time 7:00-1:00. Its our 1st time and we are 2 adults and 2 kids (9 and 12). What are the MUST SEE places? Best ways to see? How long is the cable car ride? Any suggestions appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Great pics!

Appreciate, Patty, your kind follow-up. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

From the London/UK Daily Mail two days ago, they have this part of a headline: “See Europe's key cities without breaking the bank: Cheap escape to Dubrovnik” with these highlights: Hopping around the 400 islands scattered across the Adriatic is easy and inexpensive. Catch a ferry from the terminal at Gruz. It's the stepping-off point to the Elafiti Islands, Lokrum and Korcula, at super low prices. TOP TIP: Cast off on a kayaking adventure with Dubrovnik Local Tours, exploring the hidden coves and beaches of Lokrum Island, with views of Dubrovnik thrown in. From 32 euros (*£28), dubrovniklocaltours.com”.

Other high-values such as Lisbon, Budapest, Warsaw, Riga, etc., are detailed in this travel story. Sounds exciting and fun! Cannot wait till June when we arrive in June for exploring Portugal/Lisbon for the first time. Still need to visit Riga, Warsaw, etc. Plus, get back to Dubrovnik, again!!

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-4397998/How-Europe-s-key-cities-without-breaking-bank.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 31,192 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 4 weeks later...

We are going to Dubrovnik in July 2017 on Queen Victoria.

I was wondering what's are the best things to see in Dubrovnik?? and how easy is it to get around the town??

Should we do a ships tour here? or can we do a private tour??, Can anyone recommend one?

The old part of town is where you should begin. We have many historical and cultural sites you can visit. Walking the wall, taking the cable car up to the mountain top a multitude of things to do during your limited time here. By utilizing our local tourist website you will be able to pick which sites you do not want to miss. I personally always tell guests not to take the ship tour, they just do not do the town justice. A private tour with one of our locally born guides is going to give you an insight which will make your time here memorable. There are many on this site who claim Dubrovnik is a DIY town, but I know they have missed so many hidden gems and never heard about the history of the town. Since I am a local resident the rules of cruise critic forbid me from giving out any specific recommendations. You need to find out what is best for you, keep researching. That being said I can give you our local website which may help you plan your day here. Happy travels.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/lang/en/

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady
website is incorrect

I went to Dubrovnik on a cruise in 2011 and i think that the city wall is a must do. Its approx. 1,2 to 1,5 Miles long with several towers and other things.The views to the sea and avoer the roofs are simply amazing.But caution: don`t forget the hats,cause there is no shadow and in summer it can be extremely hot there !

I don`t know where exactly your ship will dck.At my visit our ship(Costa Fortuna) stopped directly in front of the old city and the passengers where tendered to the small port of the old city.From there you are almost already at the wall.

If your ship is docking at the "regular"port,i guess that Cunard will offer a shuttle service to the old town.

You don't need a tour. The Old Town is contained within the walls. One can't get lost. Purchase a guide book. I use Rick Steves but there are several good ones. I like Rick Steves because he gives you explicit directions how to find places. Our three main things we did in Dubrovnik was to walk the wall. We did the entire length, we enjoy that sort of thing, others only walk the sea facing side. Then we took the cable car up to MT Syd. This is out of the wall but Rick Steves gives you a short cut walk. It's ten minute walk to cable car. There is a very nice restaurant with reasonable prices with a million dollar view at the top. Dubrovnik has numerous choices with quality food. We wanted the view. Inside or outside seating available. The third thing we did was go for a dip in the Adriatic Sea at the public beach. Again, something we enjoy. Others might enjoy a private beach club and sipping cocktails. There are also numerous historical buildings and churches in Old Town which are described in the guidebooks to visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What was the public beach like?

The public beach is not really a beach as we know it. It was more a cement swimming platform with a ladder into the sea. But even the beach club really doesn't have sand. Limestones in place of sand. There are also places where the young at heart dive into the sea from boulders.

The public beach is not really a beach as we know it. It was more a cement swimming platform with a ladder into the sea. But even the beach club really doesn't have sand. Limestones in place of sand. There are also places where the young at heart dive into the sea from boulders.

thanks! My sons will swim pretty much anywhere but this might be an "if there's time left over" type thing, based on that. Thanks for the reply.

Yes there are buses from the harbor to the old part of town. You must pay with Kuna, fare is 15 Kuna per person, and find the bus stop where our local Libertas bus will stop for passengers. It is located on the main road, not within the harbor area. The bus will take you to Pile gate entrance. Of course you may want to use a taxi and share with another couple, cutting your costs. It is far easier and much faster than the bus which does stop often before reaching Pile. Enjoy.

Could someone who has visited before please advise if there are any car rental offices at or near the Gruz cruise terminal? I am finding conflicting information online.

I'm guessing we will have to take the shuttle to old town and walk to one of the offices around there?

When you contact a car rental firm here, you can request they deliver your car to the Gruz Harbor. You do not need to visit the office to rent a car. However, that being said, there is an office in our Ploce area, but no parking and not easy to find. They also will bring the car from the holding areas to you there. There are no offices inside the old town.

• 2 weeks later...

We are back from wonderful visit of Dubrovnik. We took a taxi but did not go straight to old town (which is 13 Euros)...instead we paid 30 Euros and asked the driver to take us to the hill (cable car place). Spent 10-15 mins enjoying the beautiful views and took photos. Then, he dropped us to old town. We walked the walls and then were left with about an hour to wander around the streets. One thing which I did not read while doing my research and want to mention here is keep enough time to get back. We thought the drive from old town to port is just 10 mins so leaving 45 mins prior will be good enough but to our surprise, there was a HUGE line up for taxi at the pile gate. The line was slow moving. After waiting for 20-25 mins, we started feeling uncomfortable as there were still many people in front of us. I went ahead (while my husband kept the spot in the line up) and talked to some people ahead of us if they were willing to share the taxi with us (although we were 2 adults and 2 kids)...2 ladies from UK agreed as they were also anxious of making back in time. The driver was hesitant to to get us all in but we offered additional 10 Euros. There was traffic on the way. The time to report back was 1:00. We reached at 1:10 and it was relief to see many people were also coming at the same time but we were worried there were many people behind us in the taxi line up at pile gate and told us to tell NCL to wait for them. We told the crew and hopefully everyone made it back.

• 2 weeks later...

We're in port for an overnight and this is our second visit, so we are looking for something different, having done the cable car, and enjoyed exploring the old town and wall previously.

Was thinking about a visit to Cavtat (by boat/bus) but would welcome any suggestions for a easy scenic day trip .... and also something worthwhile to do at night - am sure the old town will be special by moonlight.

We are leaving the 19 th on a GCT trip. My wife has family just south of Dubrovnick. The family farm is in Conavle. There are many farms and some small restaurants n the area. Rent a car and explore the area, It is a beautiful area. We will be ditching our tour and spending the day on the farm. Enjoy.

We're in port for an overnight and this is our second visit, so we are looking for something different, having done the cable car, and enjoyed exploring the old town and wall previously.

Was thinking about a visit to Cavtat (by boat/bus) but would welcome any suggestions for a easy scenic day trip .... and also something worthwhile to do at night - am sure the old town will be special by moonlight.

You can take Libertas #10 from the Gruz Harbor directly to Cavtat. Bus cost is 25 Kuna per person, no foreign currency. Take the small boat back to the old town, a 45 minute ride which will bring you back to the old port. Enjoy the evening in the old town.