Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

Host Bonjour

Thanks Hank, yes still posting here and trying to find the words for writing the blog again. The loss of my companion hit me much harder than I realized. Living in Cavtat has been a joy, the pace of life is slow and easy which is my preferred style. Our new Dubrovnik Mayor has been working on making cruise crowds less, thus allowing everyone to enjoy our town. Would love to see you again, let me know if it becomes a possibility.

Hi, our cruise ship the Norwegian Star is stopping from 7am to only 1pm so only limited time. Will there be taxis about at 7am or indeed a bus to take us to old town as we want to explore walls and town and try and do cable car.

Also what time does cable car and walls open to public and finally can we pay in euros or where do we get local currency?

Thanks for any help

There are taxis down at the port waiting for all ships arriving, no problem finding one. All cable car questions can be answered on their website. http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/timetable-and-prices/

City wall - https://www.wallsofdubrovnik.com

Hi, is there a place you can buy bus tickets ahead of time. Since I won’t have any kuna’s when we first arrive. Thanks

There are taxis down at the port waiting for all ships arriving, no problem finding one. All cable car questions can be answered on their website. http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/timetable-and-prices/

City wall - https://www.wallsofdubrovnik.com

My suggestion is to obtain a credit card without foreign conversion fees. They don’t accept Euros but credit cards are readily accepted almost everywhere. There are threads on CC discussing the various CC options.

After much trial and error I found using our many ATM machines is the best option to obtain Croatian Kuna. Banks and the privately owned exchange shops are the worst, fees and more fees and a crummy exchange rate. This is my personal observation after living here for many years. ATM charges and exchange rate are determined by your home bank. My American bank gives me the lowest fees and the best exchange.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to walk from the port to Pile's Gate? It looks about less than 3 miles?

Sure, but it is all uphill and very boring neighborhood, mostly our financial area. You can always take a taxi or check with your cruise line to see if they are offering a shuttle bus. Do not waste your limited time walking to the old town, spend it exploring our historical sites.

If you are inside the old town the closest bus stop for Cavtat is in front of the cable car entrance. The boats will be running, weather permitting, from the old port. All closest to the Ploce entrance, which is the point to get off the wall. I do hop our weather is still good, which is likely, but our winds can happen at any time. Be prepared and expect the best. Enjoy your time here.

Thanks for all your info in this thread.

Is the ferry to Cavtat accessible from outside the wall; IE, from walking past Ploce gate ?

If we were getting a taxi from Gruz where would we be dropped off to do this?

Is the ferry to Cavtat accessible from outside the wall; IE, from walking past Ploce gate ?

The ferry leaves from the Old Port jetty, inside the walled city.

It's a 3 minute walk from Ploce Gate.

Buses from Gruz drop / pick-up near Pile Gate, a 6 minute walk to the ferry.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Ploce+Gate,+Ul.+Vrata+od+Plo%C4%8Da,+20000,+Dubrovnik,+Croatia/Old+port,+Ribarnica+ulica,+Dubrovnik,+Croatia/Dubrovnik+Local+Guides+-+Game+Of+Thrones+Tour,+Brsalje+ulica,+Dubrovnik,+Croatia/@42.6418617,18.1072059,16.83z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x134c0b3346564cc5:0x3f35a36e5eb3e01e!2m2!1d18.1127724!2d42.6420186!1m5!1m1!1s0x134c0b330d777c99:0x1609777ccaf1e1dc!2m2!1d18.1115678!2d42.6409423!1m5!1m1!1s0x134c0b2d6ce1332d:0x3e5cac1a59964403!2m2!1d18.1058808!2d42.6418943!3e2

JB :)

Hi. We are stopping here Sunday Sept 30 2018 on a Celebrity cruise.It's our first time at this stop. We are in port from 9am to 6pm..Would you recommend taking a private tour or is it enough time that we can manage on our own? What would you suggest as important to see..sounds like Mt. Srd and the walled city. Thanks in advance for your suggestions..Also need time to stop for lunch..food is always important :)

You can do it all on your own easily. If you are tendered the tenders will probably take you into the harbour in old city. If you are docked you can get public buses to the old city. I would suggest walking the walls first before it gets too hot. You can buy tickets just inside the main gates, then after walking the walls wander the streets, and stop for some lunch on one of the little cafes.

To go up the mountain you can walk from just outside the old city, going outside near the harbour, up to the base station for the cable car, then take it up to the top, and back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What would you suggest as important to see..sounds like Mt. Srd and the walled city.

Yes, those are the two obvious contenders for a one-day port-of-call visit.

It's worth considering which to do first.:confused:

The walled city isn't too hot - there's stacks of shade.

But the same can't be said for walking the walls so if you plan to do that - heed grandma's words!!!

And morning mists can diminish the views from the top of Mt Srd.

On the other hand, going up Mt Srd by taxi and back down by cablecar gives you two perspectives, avoids the short but very steep walk up to the bottom cablecar station, and avoids possible lines at that station

And if your ship berths at the cruise port the most economical way to do that (both money and time) is by taking a taxi from the ship up to the top.

So you have three basic choices

- bus from ship to walled city, cablecar up Mt Srd & back down

- or bus from ship to walled city, taxi up Mt Srd & cablecar back down.

- or taxi from ship to Mt Srd, cablecar down to walled city,

In all cases bus or taxi from walled city back to ship (there's normally no taxis available to hire at the top of Mt Srd)

Mebbe make your decision on the day, dependent on weather, mood & energy level.

Don't expect great value from cafes & restaurants in Dubrovnik, it's very touristy.

You'll find better value outside the walled city near the Pile Gate where buses drop/collect, but of course not such a pleasant place for a break or for people-watching.

JB :)

The boat departs from our old port, which is inside the old town. No entrance outside of the Ploce gate, but you can easily see the old port from that point. You can have a taxi drop you at Pile gate entrance, walk down our the Stradun, our main promenade, and enjoy the old town sites. Go under the arch just below the clock tower and turn right at the next archway to the old pier. You will see the small stands selling Cavtat tickets and the boats. Enjoy!

Hi. We are stopping here Sunday Sept 30 2018 on a Celebrity cruise.It's our first time at this stop. We are in port from 9am to 6pm..Would you recommend taking a private tour or is it enough time that we can manage on our own? What would you suggest as important to see..sounds like Mt. Srd and the walled city. Thanks in advance for your suggestions..Also need time to stop for lunch..food is always important :)

You must decide if a private tour works for you and your interests. It can be a special learning experience, listening to a local resident talk about their home and our history. Or you can wander, read about our historical and cultural sites from a guide book. Many small side street places to enjoy some of our local foods, try the grilled baby Adriatic squid or our seafood risotto. Go for something new and interesting, forget the pizza or pasta a dish you can get at home. Dubrovnik is a special town, enjoy our sites and be adventurous. Use our tourist bureau website as your guide.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/lang/en/

It sounds like we would get more information from a local guide. And all sounds doable in our time frame.

Thank you. If you can think of anything more please let me know. What is approximate temperature end of September.

Karen

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Weather this year has been so very different from years prior. I have seen September to have the most incredible Indian summer. That being said I have seen it turn to fall very quickly. Most of the time September has been perfect, not too cold nor too hot. Check again in early August, we may have a better idea. Good to hear you are interested in learning.

Will a taxi take 6 people to Mt Srd? If not, what would be the most cost effective and time wise solution?

No taxis are not able to accommodate 6 adults, but do try to reserve a mini van. If you are not arriving here in high season, then by all means use the cable car if there is not a huge wait period. Try pricing out 2 taxis, that may also be a solution for your group.

Weather this year has been so very different from years prior. I have seen September to have the most incredible Indian summer. That being said I have seen it turn to fall very quickly. Most of the time September has been perfect, not too cold nor too hot. Check again in early August, we may have a better idea. Good to hear you are interested in learning.

Thank you for all your information.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Going to be in Dubrovnik for a day this Spring. I've heard that credit card acceptance can be spotty there, so I'm planning on having cash for most things.

*I know the fee for touring the walls, as well as the cable car service, are fixed. So I've factored that in already.

**What I'm unsure of, though, is average costs for taxis or cafes. (esp. taxis) Really, I'm just trying to figure out how much cash to bring with me, but without carrying around some absurd amount of money.

Any tips? :):)

Thanks!