Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:44 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

This is the ferry website. Times shown are from Cavtat to Dubrovnik, because that is usually the way most tourists go. Obviously the ferries go both ways. 

http://www.adriana-cavtat.com/regular-boat-service

Thanks for posting …..I think this is what we will do.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Lmack said:

We'll be in Dubrovnik on Dec 2 aboard the Rhapsody. How cold is it usually at this time of year? Does anyone know what pier we'll be docking at?

Your ship will be docked in our Gruz harbor, about a 10 minute taxi ride to the old part of town.  Weather had been great for the last few weeks, perfect Indian summer.  However now the big north wind (Bura) has been blowing and the rain has begun.  What can you expect in early December, your guess is as good as mine.  Be prepared for winter, suggest layers since often the sun does come out and it can be lovely.  Or you can expect rain all day, who knows these days.  Be sure to have good walking shoes with radial tires on the bottoms.  Our limestone promenade can be slippery when wet.  Do enjoy our lovely town, it is now filled with Christmas decorations.  

• 1 month later...

I am looking mainly at kayak tours for our July stop in Dubrovnik.  Children ages 10 and 7.
Anyone have suggestions for specific vendors to use or avoid?

What kind of snorkeling might we expect?

Is the information shared worth joining the crowds on a guided tour, or are we better off simply renting a kayak?  Is it even possible to avoid the crowds even if you do not join the group?

We are in Dubrovnik from 10:00 am to 11:00 pm. Can you tell me how to get to the walls. Also would you do a tour of the city or would you walk around the walls by yourself. If you were me what would you do with being here for a long time. What restaurants would you eat at. Thanks in advance for all of your help

On 12/28/2018 at 3:49 PM, vluvski said:

I am looking mainly at kayak tours for our July stop in Dubrovnik.  Children ages 10 and 7.
Anyone have suggestions for specific vendors to use or avoid?

What kind of snorkeling might we expect?

Is the information shared worth joining the crowds on a guided tour, or are we better off simply renting a kayak?  Is it even possible to avoid the crowds even if you do not join the group?

Our kayak tour companies are all rated high, you will not go wrong with any choice.  Of course I will always recommend joining the group, you will learn much from your guide and it is enjoyable to be in a group.  Snorkeling is fun, but do keep in mind our waters are not tropical so do not expect to see exotic varieties.  There is no possibility of avoiding crowds in July, it is high season and remember you are also part of the crowds.  Rules of cruise critic do not permit me to give specific recommendations, hopefully some other members of cruise critic can share their experiences.  

5 hours ago, bapaleg said:

We are in Dubrovnik from 10:00 am to 11:00 pm. Can you tell me how to get to the walls. Also would you do a tour of the city or would you walk around the walls by yourself. If you were me what would you do with being here for a long time. What restaurants would you eat at. Thanks in advance for all of your help

Check with your cruise line to see if they have a shuttle from port to the old part of town.  Taxis, buses and shuttle services drop all passengers at Pile (pee-lay) gate entrance.  I always recommend doing a tour for your best experience of visiting our town.  Walking the walls is nothing more than walking and looking at the views, a guide will describe the sights and it is a learning experience of our history.  You have enough time to enjoy the cable car, walk the walls but a walking tour of the old town is a must.  Cruise critic rules do not permit me to post specific recommendations.  Research our tourist bureau for ideas and reviews of our many restaurants.  

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/lang/en/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

Cavtatlady, is there a difference in Srd & Srdj? I know the cable car goes to Srd but have seen tours that go to Srdj.

Also looking at a tour that goes to Cavtat, Srdj and old town tour (late April). I know you are probably biased 🙂 but why would I want to see Cavtat?

On 8/21/2018 at 12:55 PM, cruisesusie said:

Thanks for all the helpful information you provide. Is it possible to walk from the pier to the walls? My husband and I are walkers and would prefer to walk. We'll be there on September 26 this year. Looking forward to our visit.

Susan

Cruisesusie-

Did you walk from the pier to the walls? We are an active family also and I would like to walk from the walls back to the pier instead of waiting in a taxi line. We would rather be in charge of walking back to the ship instead of getting stuck in a line. We will be in Dubrovnik in June and we know crowds will be in full force.

Thanks! Jen

On 1/11/2019 at 4:04 PM, DanL said:

Cavtatlady, is there a difference in Srd & Srdj? I know the cable car goes to Srd but have seen tours that go to Srdj.

Also looking at a tour that goes to Cavtat, Srdj and old town tour (late April). I know you are probably biased 🙂 but why would I want to see Cavtat?

There is no difference, Srdj is shown to help tourists understand the correct pronunciation (surge).  Take the tour, you will learn about some of our long history and enjoy the views from the top of Mt. Srd.  Cavtat is a special small town, which is lovely and April we will not be overly crowded.  Take the tour, experience our area while learning.  Enjoy!

42 minutes ago, jenbufl said:

Cruisesusie-

Did you walk from the pier to the walls? We are an active family also and I would like to walk from the walls back to the pier instead of waiting in a taxi line. We would rather be in charge of walking back to the ship instead of getting stuck in a line. We will be in Dubrovnik in June and we know crowds will be in full force.

Thanks! Jen

Walking from the old town to the pier is all downhill, an easy stroll but not interesting.  I would rather spend that time exploring the old town and enjoy the wall, the cable car and our historical and cultural sites.  Take the time to find "Rupe Museum", it is one of our hidden treasures you should not miss.  You can always take the bus from Pile gate back down to the Gruz harbor, no need to wait in the taxi line.  Enjoy our old town.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, _beachgirl_ said:

If I'm doing a tour that goes from 11:50 - 3:50, would I also have time to do the cable car (for photos and a drink at the restaurant) if the ship leaves at 7pm? 

Depends where your tour ends, but there should be time. It’s a bit of a walk from the old town up to the start of the cable car.

8 hours ago, _beachgirl_ said:

If I'm doing a tour that goes from 11:50 - 3:50, would I also have time to do the cable car (for photos and a drink at the restaurant) if the ship leaves at 7pm? 

First make sure your tour does not include the cable car or a drive up Mt. Srd.  Ask to get off the tour closes to Ploce (plo-cha) gate.  You can walk upward to the cable car ticket booth and enjoy our views and a glass of good Dalmatian wine.  Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

Cavtatlady

Taxi from port to Cavtat, do we need local currency for fare, if so any idea of rough cost so that I can exchange currency. 2 people and collapsible  wheelchair.

Thank you

Taxi fare from our Gruz harbor to Cavtat should approximately be about 300 Kuna, each direction.  It is best to use our local currency rather than pounds or euros.  Enjoy Cavtat, it is very special.

We will be in Dubrovnik in late October and have a few questions.  We would like to walk the walls in the morning. Can we buy tickets on-line before the cruise, or is it better to buy them the day of?   Where would you buy the tickets?   Do you need cash for the tickets, or will they accept a credit card?   Once you have your ticket and are walking the walls, can you go down into the town and then go back up onto the walls later? 

11 hours ago, Daisyloo said:

We will be in Dubrovnik in late October and have a few questions.  We would like to walk the walls in the morning. Can we buy tickets on-line before the cruise, or is it better to buy them the day of?   Where would you buy the tickets?   Do you need cash for the tickets, or will they accept a credit card?   Once you have your ticket and are walking the walls, can you go down into the town and then go back up onto the walls later? 

You are arriving in Dubrovnik late is the season, past the massive crowds in the old town.  You can walk the walls in the morning, no problem.  I suggest you buy your tickets upon arrival, the ticket office is adjacent to the Spas entrance.  They accept credit, debit cards and cash.  Once you begin your wall walk, you can go down once for a very limited amount of time, last I heard it was only an hour or less.  Enjoy your time, the views are spectacular. 

https://www.wallsofdubrovnik.com/