Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

2 hours ago, ownercarry said:

the link for the cable car company is saying it's closed. contractual problems between the city and the cable operator. can this be confirmed?

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

Yes the cable car is closed.  Perhaps it may be open again in June, but that is not confirmed.  Your only choice is a taxi or walk up and back down again.  I would take the taxi!  

sorry i've gone through all 11 pages but i'm still not certain.

can you walk just old town if you want to, or you must pay the walk the walls to get into old town and then you can do both. i think the equivalent of $30usd is quite a bit. for a couple that's 60 and the hour taxi tour with the trip to the top would get equally impressive views for less money. would like the walk inside the walls though.

44 minutes ago, ownercarry said:

can you walk just old town if you want to, or you must pay the walk the walls to get into old town and then you can do both. i think the equivalent of $30usd is quite a bit. for a couple that's 60 and the hour taxi tour with the trip to the top would get equally impressive views for less money. would like the walk inside the walls though.

I think you can go into Old Town Dubrovnik free of charge and walk around, shop, dine etc.  It's walking the walls that will cost you.   I am not 100% sure about this, but after reading all through this thread that is what I understand.

Entrance into the old part of town is free.  The city wall encompasses the old town, and yes there is a fee for the wall and it is 200 Kuna per person.  There are three entrances to old town, Pile (pee-leh) is probably where your shuttle will drop passengers.  The main entrance to the wall is several meters inside and you can decide once you are there.  The cable car is still not working, there is no definite date for reopening but we are hoping for June and yes there is a fee for the cable car.  Perhaps a taxi tour would suit you best, check with the driver how much and make sure he includes the drive up Mt Srd for the view.  

14 hours ago, ownercarry said:

Last year we walked half the wall (the lower part nearest the sea) and it was wonderful because you could look down into gardens, down from the rocks to see bathers and little boats, the marina, a school yard and thoroughly loved it.  We are both in our early 70's and took our time with the stairways that were a little longer or steeper but were able to do it and had enough time to tour the old city as well.  If you go, stop and have an ice cream at the little stand about half way through the walk.  Nice rest stop and yummy ice cream.

Edited by colonialinnkeeper
added info

• 1 month later...

You do not mention your arrival date, nor length of time in port.  Of course I am partial to Cavtat, it is my home.  Ideally a drive from Dubrovnik down the coast, a stop at the view above Dubrovnik, continue to Konavle valley, check out a few of the wineries and end in Cavtat...Always one of my perfect days.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you only want to visit Cavtat, the easiest way is by bus from the bus station at the Gruz port exit. Bus #10, cost K20pp each way. Gruz terminus to Cavtat terminus so could not be easier. Going TO Cavtat, sit on the right side facing forward for spectacular views, especially of the Old Town.

Also the option of a boat transfer one or both ways but more complicated.

Cavtat bus stops outside the Tourist Office, but for a beautiful walk, simply head back out of the parking area the bus just drove in to, and follow the walkway from there. Mostly flat, waterside, lovely views, shaded by trees, benches to sit on. Finish up at the pretty harbour then turn the corner for the return bus.  I really recommend this.

I have a post about it somewhere on this thread, but I cannot easily find it and the thread is now huge. Used to be a SEARCH THIS THREAD search option but I think it got dropped some time ago.

Edited by edinburgher

The cost of Libertas #10 from Gruz harbor to Cavtat is 25 Kuna one way per person.  It is a lovely ride and do sit on the right hand side for a view of our sea.  But I would also consider taking the small boat transfer for a return to Dubrovnik, it is the perfect ending to a fun day.  Enjoy my home, I certainly do every day.  

• Like 1

OOPS!  Sorry. I should have checked if the price went up this year before stating K20.

We were there last week-again. Headed to Lapad this time. New area for us and quite lovely walking along the two scenic paths alongside the water.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we will be arriving Dubrovnik on Monday, September 2 on Koningsdam into Gruz.  We are wondering if the bus from Gruz has a bus stop near the cable car entrance on its way to Bosanka? If not, we have heard that the walk to Srd from Bosanka is doable and not too difficult. True?  Obviously all uphill but wondering about it.  We have a full day from 8am-11pm so time is not an issue but we don’t want to use up all of our energy at the beginning of our visit. Our plan is to then ride the cable car down and begin the city wall walk at the Ploce Gate and explore the old town the rest of the day.

Any thoughts about this plan would be appreciated.  This will be our first visit to Dubrovnik and Croatia.  Thank you!

Cynthia

The cable car website location section suggests bus #8 from Gruz.

I recently posted this on a different thread:

Public buses (on the road just outside the port) were only K12 each way if bought ahead of boarding. K15 if bought from the driver. Buses pass every few minutes. If buying before boarding a bus, exit the port gate and immediately turn right into the bus station. Look for the little kiosk with the red roof on your left. It is inside the bus station, but only just. You can exit to the main road and the bus stop from it. You can buy tickets for each way at the same time. You only need to validate your tickets onboard the bus as you use them.

I would add that tickets bought before boarding a bus allow a change to a different bus if you need to do so to complete your journey. Tickets bought onboard the bus are for a single journey only.The libertas website has all the info.

Be aware that not all buses are on the main road.  Some suburban buses leave from inside the bus station but have no stance so you need to check whether your bus will leave from the main road or from inside the bus station.

Our #7 to Lapad left from inside the bus station, but without a stance. It stopped "behind stance 8" (or whichever stance it was) You stand behind whichever stance number you are told- on the actual driving area. Returning, it didn't go into the bus station but stopped on the main road across from the port gate.

Thank you for this great information about the bus system and location.  After I received your information, I found a Tuk Tuk excursion that will meet us at the Port and take us on a two hour trip which includes the top of the mountain then eventually drop us off at Pile Gate ... or if I can persuade them Ploce Gate!  So we will get some great Dubrovnik history and commentary with no more than a max of two others with us and the driver/guide.  The rest of our day will be DIY on the city walls so we feel this will be a great alternative for our morning and still get up to the top of the mountain.  Thank you again for your quick response.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:46 AM, CYS said:

Hi, we will be arriving Dubrovnik on Monday, September 2 on Koningsdam into Gruz.  We are wondering if the bus from Gruz has a bus stop near the cable car entrance on its way to Bosanka? If not, we have heard that the walk to Srd from Bosanka is doable and not too difficult. True?  Obviously all uphill but wondering about it.  We have a full day from 8am-11pm so time is not an issue but we don’t want to use up all of our energy at the beginning of our visit. Our plan is to then ride the cable car down and begin the city wall walk at the Ploce Gate and explore the old town the rest of the day.

Any thoughts about this plan would be appreciated.  This will be our first visit to Dubrovnik and Croatia.  Thank you!

Cynthia

Personally having been there a few weeks ago, I'd say just hire a taxi, faster and more convenient, a few dollars/euros more but well worth it.  

Thank you Chipmaster for the "on the spot" assistance!  We've decided to go another route and set up a Tuk Tuk excursion which sounds fun and is another alternative to get up to Mt. Srdj, see the view and also be able to learn about Dubrovnik and its history from someone local.  I appreciate your response.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We will be in port on June 2 from 7 am to 4 pm and it appears that we will be the only ship that day.  Our family would like to in no particular order, walk the wall, have a wonderful lunch, explore the town and if possible go to a beach with beautiful water for an hour or two. Any suggestions?

My best suggestion is to utilize our local tourist website.  Good information on our historical and cultural sites, you can choose accordingly to your interests.  Walking the wall is always a must, it can take up to 2 hours and getting up there as early as possible.  The photo opps and views are spectacular just make sure you have good walking shoes and be prepared for 1,000 steps spread throughout.  Exploring the old part of town, in my own personal opinion, not worth doing without a local guide.  Many guests believe they have 'done' Dubrovnik and have no clue to our history.  Lunch at your choice, hint many of our homemade local eating places are those with no views!  Banja beach is a 5 minute stroll from the Ploce gate, a nice stop to end a perfect day.  Since I am a local resident, cruise critic rules do not permit me to recommend any specific restaurants or tours.  Use our website - http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/lang/en/

• Like 1

Sorry but as a local resident the rules of cruise critic do not permit me to make any personal recommendations.  You can google car rentals for Dubrovnik Gruz harbor and will find a multitude of rental companies.  Do keep in mind that driving and parking in our area can be daunting.  I do strongly suggest renting a car only when you want to visit the outlying areas.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am just wondering if I were to just DIY around Dubrovnik, would there be any Game of Thrones sights to see?  My kids aren't GoT fans, so I wouldn't do a whole GoT tour, but if there were anything I could check out as we wander around, I would be thrilled.  

Thanks

There are lots of GOT locations in Dubrovnik as it has been used so often.

A simple internet search using words such as "GOT locations Dubrovnik"or "Dubrovnik GOT locations" should bring up many websites with all the info you need, complete with photos.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this yesterday in a new thread, then realised I might have better luck here!!

Hello all,

We will be docking in Port Gruz in November at 2:00 and the Wall closes at 3!

I've emailed wallsofdubrovnik and they kindly responded telling me last admittance to the wall is 3 and then they start closing the gates after that.

She assured me if I get there by 3 I would have time to walk the walls.

I'm wondering since we are going in the off season, are we still going to have to be the first off the ship and rush to get there?

I've done some reading and it seems a taxi is the best bet, but not sure if I should pre-purchase tickets or not.  The ticket stand is right inside the Pile gate, but if I pre-purchase I have to take a voucher to some other agency to get our actual tickets.  Thoughts?

......then again, I could be overthinking this!