Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

Is there any way to take a bus or taxi without having to get Kunas? We don't plan to spend too much money while in Dubrovnik and only need to pay for the transit from cruise port to old town. Seems like a big hassle to do currency exchange just for short taxi/bus ride.

6 hours ago, jemz1949 said:

How far of a walk is it from the city back to the ship?

We like walking, after our walk around the walls and our wander around the city, we took the bus, but quickly realised that we could have walked.  Not that far.   We would not have wanted to walk in to the city because we wanted to be there as soon as the walls opened - which as it happened was a good plan.  Dubrovnik gets crowded.  

4 hours ago, aaronm120 said:

Is there any way to take a bus or taxi without having to get Kunas? We don't plan to spend too much money while in Dubrovnik and only need to pay for the transit from cruise port to old town. Seems like a big hassle to do currency exchange just for short taxi/bus ride.

Taxis were plentiful at the port, I am pretty sure that the sign said they took dollars.  It is worth going round the walls.  They do accept credit cards though.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum

On 2/14/2020 at 6:19 AM, HappyGiraffe said:

We were there a couple of years ago and there were several boat trips from the old town port, including older boats, glass bottomed ones and "semi-submarines".

We enjoyed this boat trip which sailed along part of the walls then round Lokrum (not stopping), it was around 75 Kuna pp and we booked it on the day at a kiosk in the old town port: http://www.dubrovnik-panoramacruise.com/?dubrovnikexcursions=panoramaboat&lng=en

Some of the kiosks sell tickets for different boats doing the same trips at different times of day, so if you have a particular boat preference make sure to double check with the seller! 

Can't help with the tours as we took a taxi to the cable car then did our own thing, but there were plenty of taxis lined up in the port offering tours when we arrived.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Will be arriving in Dubrovnik on the Norwegian Getaway on May 11, 2020.

Was hoping for some help to plan the day, we arrive at 0700 and depart at 1700. Not sure if we'll be docking or anchoring, so that may affect things a bit.

This is what I am thinking about, but am unsure regarding the timing.

• Walk the walls first things on arrival, give ~ 2 hours
  • Game of Throne old town tour @ 11:00 ~2 hours
  • Cable car up to Mt. Srd and down.

Will I have enough time to accomplish the above itinerary?

Thanks in advance!

I wanted to ask if anyone has ever bought tickets ahead of time online for either the walls or the cable car?  I'm fully aware that it's not necessary.  However, I like the idea of not carrying extra kuna or euros with me for these things and also not having to stand in line to get tickets.  Just wondering if anyone here has ever actually bought the tickets for either of these things online in advance and if it worked out well (the tickets were legit, managed to avoid standing in a big line etc.)  Thanks!

Buying online tickets may not give you an actual ticket, only a voucher which must be exchanged for a ticket at the city wall entrance.  Not sure if this is also applicable for the cable car, but do believe it is the same.  Your arrival is in June, it should be too busy, but standing in a short line should not be a problem.  

https://www.wallsofdubrovnik.com/

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/16/2020 at 5:05 PM, jemz1949 said:

How far of a walk is it from the city back to the ship?

I would say about a 30 minute walk. It's better to take the ship's bus for convenience and price.

I just wrote about this in my blog. I was going to do the city bus but was afraid of the warnings about having to wait and being unreliable. Good thing I chose the bus because I wouldn't of wanted to walk it. There are some hilly parts of the walk and if it's hot weather you won't want to do it. You'll be doing plenty of walking through the old town and fort!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just starting to research Dubrovnik since it sounds like it will most likely be substituted for Cyprus on our cruise next month. We were there in summer 2016 and thought it was lovely, did the typical wall walk, had lunch, visited some churches. It would be fine to do that again, but I remember getting a taxi ride when we first got to the port - he basically took us into town but also took us to some photo stops.

This is the part I could use some help on - he also offered to take us to some other towns - but it was a hot day, my kids were tired, we declined. I'm now thinking that it might be fun to do that but of course have no memory of what those other places were. And if this is a typical thing that any taxi driver there will offer?