Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

Your plan is fine, no need to make any changes. It may help for you to have a copy of our town map, it will help guide you. Arriving on a Sunday does not have any impact on your day to visit any of our many sites. Everything is open. You will find we have some type of eating establishments on every other corner of the old town. Enjoying a meal here is an occasion, often taking more than an hour while foods are prepared. You have enough time to enjoy our small town, takes it as it comes and wander around like a tourist.

Someone on our roll call recently posted "Received word today from Princess the tour in Dubrovnik up the cable car is cancelled due to maintenance." We will be in Dubrovnik on Sunday Nov. 26; have you heard anything about the cable car being closed for maintenance?

Unfortunately I do remember reading that our cable car is closed for renovations. However I am not sure if it will be down for the entire winter season. End of the season here is 31 October and you will find many outdoor venues closed for winter hibernation. You can always take a taxi from the Gruz harbor for the view from Mt Srd, make sure you ask about the total cost for the trip. Make sure you bring winter clothing and rain gear, weather has been very wet and windy lately.

Correction on cable car posting. The cable car is open and operating daily. It is only during inclement weather that it will close down for safety. Please do refer to their website for any pertinent information.

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com

Thanks for the correction. I had checked the website and when I didn't see anything about it being closed I emailed them. I received the following reply this morning:

"thank you for your e-mail. Cable car is open, and will be open, we haven’t scheduled any renovation works for now, we temporarily close cable car for security reasons only in case of very strong wind or lightning. "

I'm not sure why the confusion unless Princess just doesn't want to chance the weather this late in the season....

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me some tips on tentative plans. My friends and I will be on NCL Star arriving Dubrovnik on 10/29/18 from 1p-9p and I'm wondering the best way to plan the day. I'm thinking ferry to Cavtat, then bus to take the cable car down from Mt. Srd and then walk the wall. Will the cable car and wall be open in late afternoon or evening? How much time should be allotted for Cavtat? TIA!

Cavtat is quite attractive, but also very small & there's nothing special there - other than families who go for a beach day it's really for just the boat ride. So IMHO just 20 or 30 minutes for a bit of people-watching from behind a long cool beer at a waterside bar.

With that in mind, you might want to give yourself longer for other things by taking the ferry only as far as far as Mlini . Also attractive, has waterside bars & restaurants, but I'm pretty sure that buses don't go down into the village - they simply drive the main A8 road, which is a very long uphill walk from the harbour.

Sorry, can't help with timings

JB :)

You are arriving rather late in the month, very close to our winter hibernation. Much of Cavtat will be closed, possibly the ferry not working either. You should be looking at taking a taxi from the port to the top of Mt. Srd for the amazing view. Then return to the old part of town and walking the wall. You may want to enjoy visiting some of our historical sites also. This all is, of course, the rain and wind has not yet begun.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be back in Dubrovnik this summer. We have visited a couple of times before and also visited Cavtav. For this trip we are considering a couple of options outside Dubrovnik which we might make on our own or through the cruise ship. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has done either option and, of course, any ideas from Dubrovniktravelady!

1. Coastal trip/seafood tasting: First to the village of Orasac with a visit to an olive press and olive oil tasting (plus ham, cheese and wine). Then visit Ston and Mali Ston and board a boat to visit oyster beds (and taste). Ends with a seafood lunch at Bota Tavern in Mali Ston.

2. Konavale valley: Drive to Brajkovici village, tour the town and board the "road train" for a ride through the valley and visit wineries. Lunch somewhere. Stop in the village of Ljuta and visit the old mill here.

We have a long port day and either option will allow for plenty of time to revisit Dubrovnik. (BTW - I am leaning towards the coastal option.)

Any other ideas are also welcome!

Ah, the coastal trip! Every morning I open my door, walk on to the small terrace and gaze at my beloved Adriatic Sea. I do live in Cavtat and like it very much, the view of our sea (nasa more) is the best part of my morning. I love the Konavle option, but the drive to Orasac and a finale in Ston...WOW. Enjoy our oysters, so fresh and so good. Great choice, have a lovely day.

Ah, the coastal trip! Every morning I open my door, walk on to the small terrace and gaze at my beloved Adriatic Sea. I do live in Cavtat and like it very much, the view of our sea (nasa more) is the best part of my morning. I love the Konavle option, but the drive to Orasac and a finale in Ston...WOW. Enjoy our oysters, so fresh and so good. Great choice, have a lovely day.

Thanks! I am going for the oysters. BTW - I just saw a private tour that combines Ston and Korcula. I am tempted. Any opinions? Too much?

PS - Your town is lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Following up on an earlier post I had here - looking to make the most of our 6-hour stop in Dubrovnik (1:00pm-7:00pm) in June. We are docking, and we are the only ship in port that day. Which itinerary would work better with our limited time, while still letting us maximize what we can do?

Option 1: At the port, get a taxi tour to the top of Mt. Srd (I understand this takes about an hour). Take cable car back down (can I buy a one-way ticket at the top to ride to the bottom? Or are tickets only sold at the bottom?) Enter the city walls at the Ploce Gate and walk all the way around. Get taxi back to the port (will it be difficult to find a taxi near the Ploce Gate?)

Option 2: at the port, get a taxi to the Pile Gate. Walk the portion of the walls from Pile Gate to Ploce Gate. Exit at Ploce Gate, ride cable car up to top of Mt. Srd, spend time up there, and take cable car back down.

I like the idea of adding in a taxi tour, but I'm worried that will take up too much of the limited time we have, especially reading the warnings on this thread about it taking a good bit of time to get back to the ship.

Thanks for any input!

Thanks! I am going for the oysters. BTW - I just saw a private tour that combines Ston and Korcula. I am tempted. Any opinions? Too much?

PS - Your town is lovely.

Thank you, my retirement home is perfect for me. Depending on how much time you have in port and date arriving, I would not opt to try to do Korcula. It is an island, meaning you will need to use the ferry. High winds, rough water any number of reasons you do not get off the island in time. You could easily do Ston and Orebic, it is on the mainland just across the sea from Korcula. Great wines and a small lovely village to enjoy.

We are arriving in Dubrovnik in August for a day and a half, I'm quite a big game of thrones fan I know that this is the location of kings landing, are there tours available or that you recommended. I was thinking of doing this one day and then the more tourist things the second. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife is a huge fan as well and I didn’t prebook a tour. When we arrived at Pile gate there were a couple of companies offering GOT tours. My wife listened to their pitches and chose the one that intrigued her. I can’t remember the price but it must of been reasonable as it didn’t bother me 😀

Hello! Following up on an earlier post I had here - looking to make the most of our 6-hour stop in Dubrovnik (1:00pm-7:00pm) in June. We are docking, and we are the only ship in port that day. Which itinerary would work better with our limited time, while still letting us maximize what we can do?

Option 1: At the port, get a taxi tour to the top of Mt. Srd (I understand this takes about an hour). Take cable car back down (can I buy a one-way ticket at the top to ride to the bottom? Or are tickets only sold at the bottom?) Enter the city walls at the Ploce Gate and walk all the way around. Get taxi back to the port (will it be difficult to find a taxi near the Ploce Gate?)

Option 2: at the port, get a taxi to the Pile Gate. Walk the portion of the walls from Pile Gate to Ploce Gate. Exit at Ploce Gate, ride cable car up to top of Mt. Srd, spend time up there, and take cable car back down.

I like the idea of adding in a taxi tour, but I'm worried that will take up too much of the limited time we have, especially reading the warnings on this thread about it taking a good bit of time to get back to the ship.

Thanks for any input!

Love option 2, best way to enjoy a lovely day here.

• 2 weeks later...
Our stop in Dubrovnik isn't until June 2018, but I'm already getting excited to plan our day! We will only be in port from 1pm until 7pm, but fortunately it looks like our ship will be the only one in port that day.

The things we'd like to do are - take a taxi to the top of Mt. Srd and enjoy the views (I understand this takes about an hour), take the cable car back down, and then walk the wall. We'd also love to have a snack and a drink at a local restaurant. Are we being too ambitious given that we only have 6 hours in port? What would you suggest for the best order of activities to avoid backtracking and make the best use of our time? Also, we will be in port on a Sunday. Might that impact the availability of any of the things we'd like to do?

Thanks!!

We would like to do the same thing, so I assume once you get to the top by taxi, you can buy a one-way ticket down?

Hi , just wondering a few questions. Could a taxi drop you off at the entrance to the cablecars going up or do you recommend just taking the taxi to the top of the mountain and taking the cable car down. Sorry if this has been ask before but just trying to figure out what route to take. Thanks.

You must decide exactly which option is best for you. I am unable to drive up Srd, but that is my personal problem. My personal preference is to use the cable car round trip, it will cost far less that a taxi. That being said I am assuming that you are talking about only two adults, if your party is more then by all means use the taxi.

From the walled city it's debateable / personal choice whether to go up by taxi or cablecar.

But if you're starting at the cruise berth I'd have thought it better to go up by taxi. Otherwise you've got to travel to the city, then if you travelled in by bus you have to walk up to the lower cablecar station, then potentially a line waiting to go up. That all eats into your time.

Taxi up & cablecar down also gives you two perspectives.

But mebbe hold off a decision until the day - low cloud in the morning might wreck the view, so better to go to the walled city first (cooler for walking the wall) & head for the cablecar if the clouds dissipate.

From the walled city it's debateable / personal choice whether to go up by taxi or cablecar.

But if you're starting at the cruise berth I'd have thought it better to go up by taxi. Otherwise you've got to travel to the city, then if you travelled in by bus you have to walk up to the lower cablecar station, then potentially a line waiting to go up. That all eats into your time.

Taxi up & cablecar down also gives you two perspectives.

But mebbe hold off a decision until the day - low cloud in the morning might wreck the view, so better to go to the walled city first (cooler for walking the wall) & head for the cablecar if the clouds dissipate.

Thanks

You must decide exactly which option is best for you. I am unable to drive up Srd, but that is my personal problem. My personal preference is to use the cable car round trip, it will cost far less that a taxi. That being said I am assuming that you are talking about only two adults, if your party is more then by all means use the taxi.

It's the two of us. I think I figured out what I'm going to do. I have another question for you. We are in Dubronik for over night at cruise port. I'm thinking of doing Cavtat the first day we are there. I'm thinking of hiring a transportation company there for one way and taking the ferry back to Dubrovnik If I decide on that Do I need to buy the ferry ticket ahead of time. Also is the ferry easy to find in Cavtat. Thanks

Cavtat ferry departs from our small waterfront area, easy to find. You will buy a ticket at the small desk sitting a few meters from the boat dock. Please do not waste your money on hiring a transport firm to drive you here, either take the bus at 25 Kuna per person or a taxi at about 300 Kuna total. The bus is more fun, sitting and listening to the locals gossip even if you do not understand. The ferry will deposit you at the old Dubrovnik pier, then you will need to make your way thru the old town, back to Pile gate to find a taxi down to the Gruz Harbor to the ship. Remember Cavtat is small, doubt highly you need to spend the entire day here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just wondering if you can buy a bus ticket ahead of time since I won’t have any Kuna’s when I first get to port . Also (mainly for Dubrovnik lady) do you know if Petka Hotel is close to cruise port a transportation company said they are no longer allowed to come in to cruise port so I wanted to find out if it’s close enough to walk too. Thanks for any help.

Cavtat ferry departs from our small waterfront area, easy to find. You will buy a ticket at the small desk sitting a few meters from the boat dock. Please do not waste your money on hiring a transport firm to drive you here, either take the bus at 25 Kuna per person or a taxi at about 300 Kuna total. The bus is more fun, sitting and listening to the locals gossip even if you do not understand. The ferry will deposit you at the old Dubrovnik pier, then you will need to make your way thru the old town, back to Pile gate to find a taxi down to the Gruz Harbor to the ship. Remember Cavtat is small, doubt highly you need to spend the entire day here.

Zdravo,

It makes me smile to see you still posting (and contributing valuable info) on this blog. Kathy and I know that as long as you are posting, things must be OK :). I think its about 2 years (perhaps 3) since we met you in Dubrovnik and we did appreciate your company at lunch. My advice to other cruisers is to accept your advice knowing that you are truly an expert on the region.

Hank