Zaandam cruise---groups and dress codes

annebill

Just returned from "little Z's" S. Caribbean/Panama Canal cruise, having been fortunate enough to get out of Ft. Lauderdale on Sat. before hurricane struck on Mon. First of all, the ship, food, service and crew in general were great. We've never had more efficient and friendly service, and the dining room and Lido staff seemed genuinely happy and eager to please. There were plenty of waiters in the Lido to carry trays, roll wheelchairs, fetch tea or coffee, etc., and they did it with a smile and a joke or two, we noticed. We don't think that the automatic tipping policy has had any negative effect on attitudes or service---in fact, quite the opposite (and yes, we did tip additionally).

There was a large group of poker players aboard who totally took over the entire Explorers Lounge for the entire cruise. The lounge was completely filled with large gaming tables the whole time, and roped off when they weren't playing---no other activities allowed there. That didn't bother me, particularly, but I did hear a lot of grumbling from other pax.

As for dress codes--forget it! Even on formal nights there were more people around the ship in shorts, tank tops, bathing suits (with cover-ups, mostly), blue jeans, T-shirts, caps, hats---you name it. These were not all from the poker players, either. There was one large group traveling together who would come into late sitting in the D.R. wearing whatever they liked--some in nice formal gowns, others in T-shirts and baggy shorts, caps or hats (on males). This group was never on time,arriving 35 minutes late one evening. We were diverted to Jamaica rather than Costa Rica because of Hurricane Beta, and many in this group were some 20 minutes late reboarding for departure that afternoon ( I wonder if the ship would have waited for me?).

Now I don't particularly enjoy wearing a tux (would much prefer a formal guayabera as some of you may remember), but it's like taxes. I don't enjoy paying taxes but I follow the rules and expect others to do so also. I pay my fair share and don't like to see others beat the system.

Anyway, it was a great cruise--great ship and crew. In spite of storms all around the weather was great, and I was somewhat disappointed in that we had practically no "ocean motion".

thank you for the post and report.

Looking forward to a Christmas Cruise. Hard to get enthusiastic as my sister's cruise was waylaid by Wilma and so now it is a little hard to talk with her, even with a rebook in april.

How did you find Ft. Lauderdale, the hotels, damage etc.

Linda

Linda, we drove down and parked in middle of 2nd floor of the parking garage at the pier, as we knew what was coming. No damage to that and we had no experience with hotels, but I believe the major buildings came through ok. The big problem seemed to be loss of power over much of the city and whole area, which was not fully restored even at the end of our cruise. In fact, we had to disembark at a different pier as power was still out at the usual pier. HAL provided shuttle service to the parking garage and we were in the car and on our way by 9:40a.m. I suspect everything is up and running by now. Of course, there was a lot of damage in residential areas--downed trees, roofs blown off, etc.

The lounge was completely filled with large gaming tables the whole time, and roped off when they weren't playing---no other activities allowed there.
This is the biggest problem I have with large groups. The ship is removing some of what passengers paid to have the use of. Yeah, I know all the financial ramifications of catering to groups ... but I still would not like having any area of the ship totally restricted from my use.

As an example, our whole family will visit Walt Disney World in January. The Test Track and a couple of other attractions will be closed while we're there. But we know that. We have the opportunity to go on and go without getting to experience these things, or we have the choice to postpone the trip until they're available. When ships have large groups that will cause restrictions in some areas, I am not given the courtesy of advance notice so I can choose whether or not I want to agree to said restrictions.

This is the biggest problem I have with large groups. The ship is removing some of what passengers paid to have the use of. Yeah, I know all the financial ramifications of catering to groups ... but I still would not like having any area of the ship totally restricted from my use.

As an example, our whole family will visit Walt Disney World in January. The Test Track and a couple of other attractions will be closed while we're there. But we know that. We have the opportunity to go on and go without getting to experience these things, or we have the choice to postpone the trip until they're available. When ships have large groups that will cause restrictions in some areas, I am not given the courtesy of advance notice so I can choose whether or not I want to agree to said restrictions.

Jim,

I agree totaly with your postition..If there is a large group on a cruise other pax should be notified and also told what will and WILL NOT be available so they can make a choice of postponing or just deal with the large group

This was Cardplayer Cruises. I know because I am scheduled on the next one (Carnival). In the past, they have chartered ships given the opportunity and interest (Ryndam), and I hope they will be able to do that in the future.

I had no idea that they were using the Explorer's Lounge during the entire cruise! That is too bad. I'd heard from someone that they used conference space that was not regularly filled. Guess I got bad information.

I, too, wish HAL was more forthcoming about large groups on their cruises. Although I'm going to be on the CP cruise next month, I surely would not want to be a regular passenger on a cruise with a large group which would limit my access to certain areas of the ship.

Thank you for your report, annebill.

If the Explorer's Lounge was totally unavailable then there was also no lounge for the string musicians at night? That's a loss that can't be duplicated by going to another lounge.

Should have been a price rebate for the loss of expected entertainment then, too.

RuthC, you are right. There was a great trio that played classical and pops in the DR--a pianist, a cellist and a lady violinist. We can't recall the groups name. They never played in the Explorers Lounge and I don't think anywhere else except the DR, although they could possibly have played in the Crow's Nest on occasion between the regular band's (mod. group) performances.

Just returned from "little Z's" S. Caribbean/Panama Canal cruise, having been fortunate enough to get out of Ft. Lauderdale on Sat. before hurricane struck on Mon.

Welcome back and glad that your trip did not get totally ruined. Can you clarify a few things about the cruise.

HALF MOON CAY, BS ARRIVE 08:00 am

Board the ship 4hrs before leaving?--->BOARD SHIP 12:00 pm

DEPART 04:00 pm

ORANJESTAD, ARUBA, AN ARRIVE 01:00 pm

(I know this cannot be correct) ---> BOARD SHIP 04:00 pm

DEPART 24:00

Please reply in the roll call as that is where this started.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=235450

Thanks, Jay

14 days and a wake-up till cruise

Archived