Elevator (Lift) Etiquette

yuvraj

There is a tendency for people to press the door close button as soon as the elevator (lift) stops at a floor. Seriously anti-social in my opinion.

Usually done by people who are fit and healthy enough to take the stairs to the detriment of elderly and disabled.

A brief moan but I wish people on cruises were more considerate and less impatient.

There is a tendency for people to press the door close button as soon as the elevator (lift) stops at a floor. Seriously anti-social in my opinion.

Usually done by people who are fit and healthy enough to take the stairs to the detriment of elderly and disabled.

A brief moan but I wish people on cruises were more considerate and less impatient.

It would appear obvious you have now reached the personal saturation point on bad manners and anti- social behaviour, experienced on RCL and the like. :eek:

Could it now be the time to move to Cunard? ;)

We take the stairs unless DW is dressed for evening and we then take elevators.

I am amazed at the number of people we have seen get on an elevator going down and get off at the next floor.

Have not experienced people getting in and pushing close while others are still getting on.

I could see an occasional person, but not everyone.

If its one or two decks down I will usually use the stairs, its much quicker than waiting for an elevator. Now that goes out the window when we have our son in the stroller. Also if you think the elevator situation is bad on RCI, try NCL's Breakaway. Worst planning for use of the elevators I've ever seen. One bank of elevators for forward and AFT. 8 elevators in each bank, 4 across from 4. If you don't break up 4 elevators on port and 4 on starboard with an obstacle of some sort you create a mess. You have lots of people standing, waiting for 8 elevators. Its just a bad design.

Arent elevators available to all cruisers ? Not just the disabled or obese ? Personally i dont like elevators on ships since their programming is wacky but occasionally i will use them. I love the people that try to rush in even after people havent completely gotten out., the people that wont move over for the people trying to get out or the ones that stand right in front of the buttons and expect the people getting on to do a reach around to press their floor. Cruise ships dont really need a safety drill as much as they need a mandatory elevator instructional seminar.

Be careful judging someone who looks "fit & heathy" as being mobile enough for stairs..........not all disabilities are easily recognizable. Walking does not equate to being able to navigate stairs.

Thank you for this post. I have a very serious lung condition, but to look at me and to even see me walk you would never believe it, but give me a flight of stairs to climb and I am now huffing and puffing like the magic dragon. So you are so right, you can't tell a book by it's cover.

We walk as much as possible, but I can't go up more than 3 flights easily. But Last time I cruised with my 92 and 89 year old parents, so I used the elevators all the time. If there is room, I always take the "Elevator Operator" spot. :D. I too have seen folks close the door fast. So I hold the door and let folks in and out. I look and make sure there are not people waiting etc, before pressing the door close button. And occasionally if we are trying to exit and others are rushing to get in, I as nicely as possible say something like "can you please let folks exit first". I get a few stares, but if they are going to be rude, so will I!

Be careful judging someone who looks "fit & heathy" as being mobile enough for stairs..........not all disabilities are easily recognizable. Walking does not equate to being able to navigate stairs.

Exactly. After spraining my knee on my last cruise, stairs are now my enemy. Just walking down the stairs to my basement, my knee starts to hurt.

As far as people standing in front of the buttons, a simple "Would you push 'x' please" usually takes care of things.

Thank you for saying that - I was going to say the same thing. While I'd love to be able to use the stairs, my hip doesn't allow it!

This is another one of those "hot button" topic threads, along with chair hogs,

smoking, dress code, unsupervised bratty children...etc. ;)

But I totally agree that many do not respect elevator manners.

One of the worst for us was taking the elevator up to the CL/DL on the 14th

deck (taking elevator up only due to my heels on formal nights). We would go

up just as first seating started to get a seat in the now emptying out lounges.

There would be a gang of pax that had just come from the lounge with

drinks in hand trying to push into the elevator just as the door opened.

It was terrible! We had to ask loudly..."Please...please...let us out before you

push us back in!!". :mad: It should have been pretty obvious we were not

going up any further since we were on the top deck, thus any pax that were

on it coming up should be getting out. :rolleyes:

On the opposite. When we are waiting for an elevator (the rare times that

we do take it), I always walk up and hold my hand on the edge of the door

to keep it open, stepping way off to the side to let pax out.

Being polite is simple....but unfortunately not to some others.

Edited by island lady

I would be lying if I said I have never tried pushing different button combinations so the elevators don't stop at other floors. But those tricks don't work.

The close door button won't work if someone is in the doorway.

I do push it as soon as everyone is in.

But don't be that person who has to run from 20ft to stop an elevator that is full and the doors are already shutting...

Just FYI, apparently after the Americans with disabilities act the close door button on elevators don't work. I know I didn't believe it. Look it up.

Tell me where you feel you read this.

http://www.elevatorsource.com/m.ada_elevator_survey.htm

I can see where someone unfamiliar with legal sort of writing could think that they meant "door close buttons" don't work, but that's not what they are saying. They are saying that the door needs to automatically stay open x seconds. But that doesn't mean it can't be manually shut.

I lived in a building with an elevator for 8 years and my MIL has lived in a similar building for around the same time. We have had plenty of time to experiment with the door close buttons. They work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a tendency for people to press the door close button as soon as the elevator (lift) stops at a floor. Seriously anti-social in my opinion. wow. such an assumption

Usually done by people who are fit and healthy enough to take the stairs to the detriment of elderly and disabled. again, assume much?

if there is no one waiting to pounce/enter, darn skippy I will press the door close button to move things along. especially if there are numerous floors lit but only a couple of people on the elevator wanting off.

and I am sick and tired of all these self proclaimed Holier than thou people who can tell just by one brief glance just how fit you are. my husband joins me on the elevator because he wishes to spend time with me and yes, aid me if necessary. he is not being disrespectful because he can traverse the stairs faster than the elevator takes to get to the floor we desire.

I don't give a damn if the guy next to me in the elevator is a marathon runner. he is just as entitled to ride it as anyone else.

The close button on your elevator works. Or it doesn't. Your elevator is compliant with ADA. Or its not.

The elevator's functionality is programmable. Some choose to disable the close button to save on wear and tear on the doors. If the close button always works, the doors start to close and abruptly open when the person you were trying to avoid runs and sticks their hand in between the closing doors. Repeat that thousands of times over the life of the elevator and the maintenance on those doors goes up.

The link to the ADA site says the door has to stay open for 20 seconds after it auto opens when detecting an obstruction. I can tell you that does not happen in my elevator. I can wave my hand in between the closing doors, they open, I press the close button, and they close right away. I guess its not ADA compliant.

The close button works. Or it doesn't. The behavior of your elevator does not mean all elevators in the world act that way.

Wow! We typically take the stairs - even for 3 or 4 floors. It's just typically faster and we don't like waiting much. That said - no one should be judging anyone on using elevators. If someone chooses to use it - healthy or otherwise - that is their business and right. Judging others is as bad or worse then trying to close the door faster.

I began cruising in the 80's and when it comes to elevator etiquette the one thing that has remained consistent has not been someone pressing the door close button; it has been & has always been people entering an elevator without taking a split second of their time to see if someone is trying to exit...

Let me out!! Don't run me over!!

The door closed button. Give me a break. Sheesh....

:(

DH has a bad hip and now uses a cane. Our use of elevators has increased for that reason.

Why do you feel the need to push the close button? Let the elevator do its job. It would seem to me that to press the door open button would be more courteous.

My pet peeve has always been people so rude that they jump in front of those waiting, especially those who use a wheelchair, cane or walker.

You are on vacation, chill and be patient.

DH has a bad hip and now uses a cane. Our use of elevators has increased for that reason.

Why do you feel the need to push the close button? Let the elevator do its job. It would seem to me that to press the door open button would be more courteous.

My pet peeve has always been people so rude that they jump in front of those waiting, especially those who use a wheelchair, cane or walker.

You are on vacation, chill and be patient.

So true. When did simple manners get left at home. I personally will get out of an elevator for someone in more need of it than myself, i would rather take the stairs anyways to work off those extra cruise calories, i also cannot stand a full elevator. I am guilty of pressing the close door button but only after i look to see there is nobody waiting outside it.

On my last cruise my friends and DH took the stairs (almost always beat me) and I took the elevator. Yes. One flight. I look perfectly healthy. Often people were rude to me for taking it for a short trip. Especially when it was one floor down. It was aggravating and sad that I had to explain I was icing my knee 3xs a day and taking pain medication to even allow me to walk TO to elevator. Why of earth would I risk a flight of stairs and ruin my chance of doing something fun when it's my vacation?? By the way - going down the stairs is often more difficult and painful than going up the stairs with knee issues!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On my last cruise my friends and DH took the stairs (almost always beat me) and I took the elevator. Yes. One flight. I look perfectly healthy. Often people were rude to me for taking it for a short trip. Especially when it was one floor down. It was aggravating and sad that I had to explain I was icing my knee 3xs a day and taking pain medication to even allow me to walk TO to elevator. Why of earth would I risk a flight of stairs and ruin my chance of doing something fun when it's my vacation?? By the way - going down the stairs is often more difficult and painful than going up the stairs with knee issues!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a previous cruise we kept seeing this younger couple, i would say in their 20s, waiting for the elevator constantly. We thought to ourselves "i wonder why they dont just take the stairs its much quicker". We saw them numerous times, then one night the 4 of us were in the hot tub together, we got to talking and as it turns out he was a US soldier on medical leave after having both his legs blown off in an attack. He was still getting used to his prosthetic legs and wasnt to stable on stairs yet. He was the only survivor in his group and it also was his honeymoon since he was deployed prior to taking his official honeymoon.

So you never know why people use the elevator , reguardless of it being need or want.

I am guilty of pressing the close door button but only after i look to see there is nobody waiting outside it.

People waiting outside of an elevator to get on?? They actually wait?? What cruise line is that?? How about holding the 'DOOR OPEN' button for people trying to exit that are getting pushed, their toes stepped on, by passengers rushing in without allowing them to exit the elevator 1st..

Don't forget about the people inside..

:(

Edited by ObstructedView2