Holland America 2019 World Cruise

I've never taken a WC, but aspire to it. I'm leaning towards HAL for a couple of reasons - itinerary (more port stops than Princess; I want to see the world, not the ocean :D) and price (Princess & Cunard will charge me double for an inside cabin).

Roz

I agree w/ other posters about why we are taking a WC. My DH and I are at the very tail end of the baby boomer generation. Due to being lucky in lucrative careers in high tech, we are fortunate to be able to retire soon while still in our mid-50's. We tried to get on the 2018 WC but it was sold out. So we decided we may work an additional 6-12 months. We put down our $100 "place holder" deposit for the 2019 WC.

I looked a few other cruise lines. The Princess ship appears to be quite old and not in good shape. Regent was out of our price range. I looked at another one (can't remember which line), but it ended in Europe and wasn't a full world cruise as it didn't cross the Atlantic. I want to do a complete 360 around the globe :-)

There was also one that went West to East. Definitely don't want to go in that direction. I much prefer an East to West cruise where the clock is pushed back an hour as you pass through the time zones. It think it's a lot easier to adjust that way.

I've never taken a WC, but aspire to it. I'm leaning towards HAL for a couple of reasons - itinerary (more port stops than Princess; I want to see the world, not the ocean :D) and price (Princess & Cunard will charge me double for an inside cabin).

Roz

Cunard charges 175% for insides, ocean views, and balconies. Only the Grills are 200%.

This was an issue back on the 2015 WC too. I just don't understand that the flagship of the cruise line and one that does 2 Grands a year is in this kind of disrepair. We've had constant issues on the Verandah deck with no hot water at night too on the 2013 and 2015 WC. From what I understand, the only major repairs they made was to the suite deck during the last dry dock. There is certainly not enough time spent (nor often enough) in dry dock, not by a long shot.

But, "they" know we love our ships and that we will go regardless.....it's unfortunate that the loyal get taken advantage of in that way.

Linda R.

I hope that I am wrong in posting this comment, but I fear that your last paragraph in your posting is closer to the truth than many of us choose to believe.

I will be aboard the Amsterdam in July, my first cruise aboard her since my World Cruise in 2008. If I am disappointed with the ship's condition and my experience, my posts on CC will reflect my experience.

Cunard charges 175% for insides, ocean views, and balconies. Only the Grills are 200%.

I didn't know that. Is their solo pricing comparable to HAL's? Isn't Cunard more formal?

Roz

I didn't know that. Is their solo pricing comparable to HAL's? Isn't Cunard more formal?

Roz

Definitely more formal. Men must wear jackets, no ties, on non-formal nights. I saw very few men without tuxes on the formal nights. Interestingly, however, I considered the women to be less formally dressed than the men. Not that many gowns. Understandable given the considerably greater number of clothes it takes for a woman to be formally dressed. Most of us get by with black pants or skirts and a dressy top. Gowns take up more room.

We enjoy the formality, although DH has expressed doubt over the three-times-a-week necessity over a 100+day cruise.

One thing that I really appreciate on Cunard is their libraries. If HAL downsizes their library on the Amsterdam's Grand voyages, they will lose us. We will learn to love Cunard's food!

Thanks for the info. I like formal nights, but 3 times a week? A bit much, IMO. I would think on a voyage that long that once a week would be sufficient. This isn't Downton Abbey. :D

Roz

Thanks for the info. I like formal nights, but 3 times a week? A bit much, IMO. I would think on a voyage that long that once a week would be sufficient. This isn't Downton Abbey. :D

Roz

Our thoughts as well, although I don't know how many formal nights per week there are on a WC. The frequency may be lessened.

Our thoughts as well, although I don't know how many formal nights per week there are on a WC. The frequency may be lessened.

On the 2014 WV we had a total of 35 formal nights out of 118. This was down from the previous year which had about 50. Haven't heard what has happened since 2014.

I sailed Southampton to Southampton and three of the formal nights were during the Southampton to NYC crossing. We also had a formal/informal choice night during the crossing.

We think the Crew on Holland American are the best.

Absolutely! The friendly, personable service that we receive really does help one to overlook perceived deficiences or omissions of services or events that we note and miss.

:pI called the world desk today, told probably nearer the end of June when the rest of deposit would be due. That means schedule and pricing would be completed

One thing the smaller ships were made for ocean voyages. In bad seas I wouldn't want to be in a top heavy large ship. There will be bad sea days

Remember even In route they can and will change ports.

:pI called the world desk today, told probably nearer the end of June when the rest of deposit would be due. That means schedule and pricing would be completed

One thing the smaller ships were made for ocean voyages. In bad seas I wouldn't want to be in a top heavy large ship. There will be bad sea days

Remember even In route they can and will change ports.

When what would be due the end of June? Are you talking about the 2018 HAL world cruise? They would not be waiting until six months before sailing to finish the scheduling and pricing on a 2018 cruise. And the changing of ports enroute is normally due to unforeseen circumstances. Perhaps the person you spoke to was confused.

Are you talking about the 2018 HAL world cruise?

Perhaps the person you spoke to was confused.

I believe she's talking about the 2019 World Cruise, as that's the topic of this thread. In that context, everything she posted makes sense.

When what would be due the end of June? Are you talking about the 2018 HAL world cruise? They would not be waiting until six months before sailing to finish the scheduling and pricing on a 2018 cruise. And the changing of ports enroute is normally due to unforeseen circumstances. Perhaps the person you spoke to was confused.

Many people have pre-booked by putting down $100. I did this last year and was very pleased because I could choose the cabin I wanted (there is only one on the ship like it and I really wanted it). Once booking opened I had to put down the remainder of the deposit (in my case it was another $3400 to make a total of $3500 deposit).

I believe she's talking about the 2019 World Cruise, as that's the topic of this thread. In that context, everything she posted makes sense.

I don't recall, however, that HAL waited until after final payment on the next WC to set the schedule and pricing for one a year and a half away. Other posters remembered that the itinerary usually comes out in early June. What is your recollection? Supposedly, there is already a tentative, proposed schedule for 2019. I just don't have much faith in which the HAL offices tell us.

Many people have pre-booked by putting down $100. I did this last year and was very pleased because I could choose the cabin I wanted (there is only one on the ship like it and I really wanted it). Once booking opened I had to put down the remainder of the deposit (in my case it was another $3400 to make a total of $3500 deposit).

Now I understand. I understood the "rest of the deposit" to be a final payment, and that made no sense. However. HAL's explanation also makes little sense. They are going to wait until the remainder of the deposit is due to schedule the itinerary and pricing??? How is it that Cunard has had their 2019 WC out for a few weeks and are seeking bookings, and HAL can't do the same!

Actually Cunard was the last mainstream cruise line to publish their world cruises for a number of years. For the 2014 WV that I took, the itinerary did not come out until August 20, 2012 and the pricing did not come out until September 5 (which was also the day booking opened). It has only been the last year or two that Cunard announced so early.

HAL has been following the same procedure (at least since I started investigating in 2011) of announcing the WV for two years away on the current one. They give a proposed itinerary (which sometimes changes quite a bit and sometimes not at all) but no pricing. The final itinerary and pricing usually is posted around the beginning of June (and booking opens).

I think twodogmom was saying that once the final itinerary and pricing was complete then the remainder of the deposit would be due and for some reason that would be closer to the end of June than the beginning. Since there has been so much pre-booking interest, I am wondering if HAL might increase the cost (which has not changed much since 2011).