Nightmare tablemates?

Ken Greco

Fortunately, we have never had bad table mates. Some were a little off, but we had lots of fun. Life is what you make it and so are your dinner mates.

"What do you do for a living" is a very valid conversation starter. I don't see why it should offend someone.

2 cruises ago we had a family that ordered Indian food along with it all and insisted on sharing. It wasn't to our taste, but appreciated the offer. We had little in common, but we had a great time. The kids were wonderful to talk with, but we always found something to chat about each evening.

The main topic of course is always, "what did you do today"? Which of course led to discussion for the evening.

Make the most of it and you will have fun.

I certainly can relate though to some that have had bad experiences. I would hate having bad table mates.

Fortunately, we have never had bad table mates. Some were a little off, but we had lots of fun. Life is what you make it and so are your dinner mates.

"What do you do for a living" is a very valid conversation starter. I don't see why it should offend someone.

2 cruises ago we had a family that ordered Indian food along with it all and insisted on sharing. It wasn't to our taste, but appreciated the offer. We had little in common, but we had a great time. The kids were wonderful to talk with, but we always found something to chat about each evening.

The main topic of course is always, "what did you do today"? Which of course led to discussion for the evening.

Make the most of it and you will have fun.

I certainly can relate though to some that have had bad experiences. I would hate having bad table mates.

Yes in all fairness it is a valid conversation starter....and one of thousands that can be used...But people have preconceived ideas about certain and many professions. I am one of the main three white collar professions... ya know the one everybody hates.

M comment about "nightmare tablemates" was just a interesting way of getting posters to relive some of their cruise stories. It does not reflect my attitude with Spanish speaking people or Spanish Americans. My community is one of the most diverse places in the country with over 40 different languages spoken in schools and public places. It just we were not going to spend 7dinner nights with no one to talk to. Also, RCCL put us on the floor that was entirely Spanish speaking cruisers. Correction it wasn't a nightmare just not very comfortable.

See how easy that was when you clarify a statement by telling all the details. That way your post doesn't come off sideways. Agree with the "not very comfortable" comment.

I agree. I hate being asked what I do. I usually give a generic non-specific answer and hope the person asking doesn't pry any further. Nine times out of ten they keep prying. Sigh!

I'm a terrible liar, but I really should pick a made up career and stick with it.

We don't make up careers, but we aren't completely honest, either. DH is a pharmacist; I'm an RN. We learned very quickly during an agonizing open seating breakfast on our first cruise to never disclose our vocations again. When strangers learn of our professions we almost always get one of two responses: 1) solicitation of medical advice, even though we have no idea about their medical history, current medications, etc. or 2) an excruciatingly detailed account of every single bad experience they've ever had with the medical system.

Since that first cruise, when asked, DH responds that he works in retail (technically true since he works in the pharmacy of a major retail company). No one pries further into that job. I tell them I'm a mom - also true. People change the subject very quickly after my response. I think they're afraid I'm going to start pulling out pictures of our children or telling potty training stories or something. :)

Only one bad experience in 40+ years of cruising. We were assigned to a table of eight that was composed of four couples that did not know each other before sitting down to dinner the first night.

One couple asked if we could all join hands and say grace. After furtive glances around the table by the remaining six of us, one of the women say that would be nice and we all politely sat while the husband droned out a long prayer.

The next night, the husband placed a Bible on the table and said he had a short reading for after the prayer.

I looked at him and said, "We prayed last night; I'm good to go for the next year." I picked up my roll, buttered it and started eating. The evangelical couple glared at us as the rest of us started eating and talking.

:eek: I laughed so hard,I woke up the baby.

Oh finally see someone who feels the same way! YEAH!!!

I hate that question...What do you do?. It is a rude question. Talk to me and get to know me. Our professions will come to light as we get along.

I am so much more than my job. I am on vacation and I leave my "work hat" at home. I do not want strangers pigeon holing me within the first hour of meeting me. I never ask what a person does for a living while cruising. If we are building a rapport....it's the person not the silly title they hold on land.

:):):)

Are you a Rocket Scientist? That would be cool.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Nope But I love Playalinda and can see most rocket launches from my pool deck .. does this count?

Nice location, I was next to our pool when the Falcon blew up in flight.

I was just joking about Troy's infatuation with Rocket Scientists. 😉

Saturday launch is 5:45. Dusk launches are pretty cool as the sun hits them

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by John&LaLa

Yes I hate lying too... One time I told someone that I was a Shepherd the questions keep coming.

I play a game now and try to skirt answering the question for as long as I can

ou

I think it is funny that you told someone you are a shepherd. LOL. Some people may go along with it and ask you how is the sheep hearding business going? I have friend of mine that raises alapacas. She actually is a animal hearder.

On our second cruise, our family of 5 was seated at a 10-top with another family of 5 whose children were of similar age to ours. On paper I'm sure it looked like a very logical table assignment. However, they did not speak English, and we did not speak their language. It was very awkward, but the worst part was that they either didn't understand or didn't care that assigned dining has a distinct start time. Every night they showed up 30 minutes to an hour late. Our waitstaff would procrastinate a very long time taking our order waiting for the other family to arrive before eventually giving up and taking our order. The family would finally show up either during our appetizer or entree course, and then the waitstaff would make us wait while they "caught up" the other family to our course. It was very frustrating, especially since we were dining with hungry children who were only 4, 6 and 10 at the time. We were too new into cruising to realize we could request a table change.

Out of 24 cruises, that was actually the only time we've dined with others. DH and I (and all but one of our children) are very introverted and much prefer a table to ourselves. Honestly, requesting a table for just our family is as much for our comfort as for the comfort of others who would be seated with us. We are absolutely certain we would be the nightmare tablemates of most people since we really aren't big talkers in social situations with strangers.

oh for sure...............I find launches thrilling.

I grew up in Central Florida...Not really a cracker but still old enough to remember when Florida was a natural wonder....Titusville and Cocoa are still relatively untouched.

Sorry folks not trying to hijack the thread I could not resist

Edited by JohnSnowGOT

We don't make up careers, but we aren't completely honest, either. DH is a pharmacist; I'm an RN. We learned very quickly during an agonizing open seating breakfast on our first cruise to never disclose our vocations again. When strangers learn of our professions we almost always get one of two responses: 1) solicitation of medical advice, even though we have no idea about their medical history, current medications, etc. or 2) an excruciatingly detailed account of every single bad experience they've ever had with the medical system.

Since that first cruise, when asked, DH responds that he works in retail (technically true since he works in the pharmacy of a major retail company). No one pries further into that job. I tell them I'm a mom - also true. People change the subject very quickly after my response. I think they're afraid I'm going to start pulling out pictures of our children or telling potty training stories or something. :)

I'm an RN too and I NEVER say that on a cruise (or really anywhere unless my skills are being called for appropriately) because people just love to discuss their most intimate medical problems with me and ask for medical diagnoses. Ugh.

I've never had nightmare table mates. Maybe we're lucky or maybe we just haven't been on enough cruises yet but all of my table mates have been lovely.

Well, THAT was no fun, was it ? :rolleyes:

ou

I think it is funny that you told someone you are a shepherd. LOL. Some people may go along with it and ask you how is the sheep hearding business going? I have friend of mine that raises alapacas. She actually is a animal hearder.

Ha! Youre spot on....What a mistake that was....Served me right tho I got hit with a million questions about the animals and so on....I did not do that again !

I love animals it would kill me to harm them or kill them.

Edited by JohnSnowGOT

4 night cruise. Husband and I were in our late 30ths. We think we are still young and cool. (2 young kids at home). We are seated at a 10 top with 8 men(boys) on a bachelor party weekend. They were so horrible!! They were so drunk and obnoxious, we were making fun of them in our discussion and they did not even realize it!!

The next day, one of the young men saw us and actually apologized. We ate in the specialty restaurants the rest of the cruise!!

We have only changed tables once on RCI and that was when we were sitting with a couple from Brazil who spoke very little English. Our headwaiter noticed that we were uncomfortable and scouted tables for us. He put us at a great table for 8 or 10 and we had a great time with them.

We had to change twice on Princess -- dining companions too negative.

We have met great folks on RCI cruises at dinner including the couple that we usually cruise with. We get a table for 4 when we cruise together -- otherwise we ask for an 8 or more top.

We've been sailing almost 20 years and have only requested one table change. We were sited at a 6 stop with a family of four. The children were very young. There was no way to have any kind of conversation as the parents were too busy with the kids. We went to the matre'd after the meal and asked to be changed. He wanted to know why the change. I said we don't enjoy dining with young children. The next night we were placed at the misfits table but had a good time. The original family was placed at an 8 top with another family of four. This is how it should have been from day 1. We have 9 grandchildren between 6 and 14 and I would not want strangers to have to eat in a fine restaurant with the younger ones. No problem with older ones.

Okay, you guys are starting to scare me a bit. I'm new as in really new and going on my very first cruise in March. Points of reference.

My husband is 12 years younger than me. Will I be judged?

My job is tax accountant. Will I be hounded for tax advice?

We only speak English. Will we be snubbed?

My husband is a Millwright and nobody knows what it is. It is a blue collar job that pays better than mine. Will people look down their noses?

We are in our late forties, late fifties. Will young people treat us like creeps?

We are not experienced cruisers (we like road trips). Will experienced cruisers think we are not worth talking to?

We always make friends wherever we go. We love to travel and being open is our "Minnesota Nice" way. So a few questions...

Is MTD worth it to you?

How easy is it to have your dining assignment changed?

Are there other options besides room service?

I feel like a babe in the woods or deer in the headlights here. I have been reading the boards all day and have a lot to learn.

Okay, you guys are starting to scare me a bit. I'm new as in really new and going on my very first cruise in March. Points of reference.

My husband is a Millwright and nobody knows what it is. It is a blue collar job that pays better than mine. Will people look down their noses?

We are in our late forties, late fifties. Will young people treat us like creeps?

We are not experienced cruisers (we like road trips). Will experienced cruisers think we are not worth talking to?

We always make friends wherever we go. We love to travel and being open is our "Minnesota Nice" way. So a few questions...

Is MTD worth it to you?

I feel like a babe in the woods or deer in the headlights here. I have been reading the boards all day and have a lot to learn.

Oh friend your in for big trouble!

Is MTD worth it to you?

You are one of the YOUNG ones. We are usually seated with people in our generation. If you are assigned a table with the "baby boomers" no one will give two cents what you do for a living, your age etc. If someone brags about what they have etc..think high debt.

On our last cruise we were at a table for 10 (3 groups of 3).

The first night we had the table to ourselves (mom, dad and me). The second night was when we met the other table mates. The second group of three was quiet until the last couple of nights... and the third group was the Texas family. (Pretty sure they only packed Texas A & M shirts because that's all we ever saw them in... except for elegant night.)

When we got to Ft. Lauderdale, they had a delayed debarkation from the last cruise and a delayed embarkation for us. Since people were coming in steadily due to not having a staggered check-in process, they had to shut down the line so all of the people that arrived after the waiting area filled were made to stand in that line for 2ish hours.

Well... fast forward to night 2 and Texas Mom just wasn't having any of it. Glared at all of us over the fact we had a shared table... Ranted off how horrible it was getting on the ship and how late they got on and all of that.. got a free bottle of wine from the maitre'd. Glared at us every night going forward until the second to last night when they got their own booth.

We said hi in passing around the ship and were still met with glares. Only from her, though. The husband and son seemed nice, but afraid of her, to be honest. :rolleyes:

You are one of the YOUNG ones. We are usually seated with people in our generation. If you are assigned a table with the "baby boomers" no one will give two cents what you do for a living, your age etc. If someone brags about what they have etc..think high debt.

Oh yes, "In debt up to their eyeballs" which I am not. Thank Heaven. Love to travel and travel with cash not credit. Thanks for the perspective.