Viking China

2tsquared

The flight schedule from Boston was actually pretty good. We had a 6:35 AM flight from Boston to Toronto - getting in at 8:10; then a 10:30 flight to Shanghai arriving at 1:00. As you know, there is a 12 hour time difference.

Back from Beijing we left a 5:30 PM, arrived in Toronto at 6:15; then a flight to Boston leaving at 8:30 and getting in at 10:00.

Pat

This question is actualy for you and couch king.

We are booked on Hong Kong and then China for next summer.

Did you rely on VC to book air or did you pay for the privelege of speaking to their air people for customizing?

We are leving from Newark.

Thanks

I took advantage of the $299 special. How could I not?

Taking the special I had to take the flights that they gave me. I have not taken them yet-I will in two weeks and will let you know.

From what I have read on the boards, my flights are as good as anyones-it seems to be the luck of the draw. I am leaving Newark to Toronto at 6:20 a.m. and leaving Toronto to Shanghai at 10:30 a.m. direct

Coming back from Bejing, it is basically the same thing-leaving at 5:30 PM, so we have the whole day there.

Any other question, let me know.

Larry

Thanks for the quick reply. We had taken advantage of the $500 off per person if booked and paid by 7/31. I feel Viking either gives you a discount one way or another. We had the air specail last year when we did the danube with them.

Your flights sound ideal. Please let me know how they are. Since we are going to HK first, the flights may be different. I figure it may be worth it to insure the right flights.

Thanks for the quick reply. We had taken advantage of the $500 off per person if booked and paid by 7/31. I feel Viking either gives you a discount one way or another. We had the air specail last year when we did the danube with them.

Your flights sound ideal. Please let me know how they are. Since we are going to HK first, the flights may be different. I figure it may be worth it to insure the right flights.

Couchking,

I have to say we opted to not do anything very exciting the last day. I think you'll find this a very intense couple of weeks - it really felt good to know we could sleep as late as we wanted, have a leisurely breakfast (a wonderful buffet) and take our time getting things packed, etc. We did a bit of walking around but generally enjoyed some last minute visits with new friends, etc.

We didn't have to have our bags outside until 1 and we weren't picked up for the airport until about 2:30. There was no rush from the hotel to vacate the room until we were ready to leave for the airport which was wonderful. You certainly have time to do some last minute shopping or sightseeing - we thought about a run to the Pearl Market, but decided against it. There is a huge outlet mall or center a few blocks away - probably a $2 cab ride. We didn't go but some friends did - said it was five stories of bargains - handbags, jewelry, luggage, you name it. I had had all the shopping I could tolerate and was there last year so no further sightseeing I felt I wanted to do. I'm sure your guide could make some suggestions for interesting things to do on that last day - it does seem a waste not to put it to good use. We were just really tired and wanted to chill.

Pat

This may seem like a dumb question, but did you have to get any special shots or take any medication before going to on a river cruise to China?
Not a dumb question. I got Hep A, Hep B, Tetanus and Typhoid. The Hep A & B shots are a series of three shots a month apart so plan ahead. We also got a prescription for a broad-spectrum antibiotic and brought that along with lots of PeptoBismol and Immodium. We were warned continuously about the water so you will be very aware of that. My friend, Day, and I used the ship's water to brush our teeth but were VERY careful not to swallow any of it. Neither of us got sick. I'd gotten a package of small plastic zip bags at CVS before going and I put the Pepto and Immodium in those so that I had them with me at all times. At the slightest rumble, which didn't happen often, we popped them in since we knew that we'd be on a bus or a toilet wasn't going to be available for at least a couple of hours. A few people did have intestinal problems while on the boat and those who went to the boat's doctor received Chinese herbs, Pepto and a prescription; they claimed almost instant recovery. (Slightly exaggerated but two that I know of were feeling a whole lot better within a couple of hours.)

I also have gotten Hep A and Hep B. Also updates on Tetnus and other vaccations.

You can read suggested vaccations on the CDC web site. I also will be carrying a couple of antibiotics and other over the counter meds. My Doctor wanted me to carry a med for Respirtory infections. Twice I have gotten home from a trip with a bacterial respirtory infection.

I just hope I can get a flu shot before we leave on 1 Nov.

If you have a travel medical clinic in your area you may want to check with the clinic.

Many of the vaccations are just strongly suggested. I was surprised my Doctor told me to be sure to have Medicial Evac Insurance for going to China.

First time I had ever hear that from a Doctor.

Talk with your Doctor about your trip. Only you and your Doctor know your complete medical history.

Congrats on the docs - now it feels real!!

We were told to ignore the paper tags - our guide gave us colored ribbons at the airport and told us to use those instead. I'd just keep them in case.

The round VRC tag is to put on your jacket, purse, etc., so the guide can easily find you at the airport.

Have a great time!!

Pat

I was surprised my Doctor told me to be sure to have Medical Evac Insurance for going to China.
This is actually a good idea. We had just 220 passengers on our trip (the boat wasn't full) but we still had one elderly gentleman who experienced chest pains and went to the hospital for tests and another woman who fell in the Snow Cave and broke her arm. She was in a great deal of pain but trucked on and did just about everything she could. The gentleman turned out to be OK but with either case, if the situation had been serious enough, they could have had to be evacuated although the care they received from the Chinese doctors and hospitals were supposed to be excellent.

We were on the same trip as Pam, and one woman fell and broke her knee cap and had to be evacuated from Hong Kong before she ever got to the ship, so please have travel insurance.

Our trip was wonderful, and we are still absorbing everything we learned!

Some of the walking is on uneven surfaces so be careful as there were numerous falls, some with painful consequences. I've never seen streets and sidewalks so clean...they sweep them all day! But you can always mis-step!

I am recommending this trip to everyone I talk to, and Viking couldn't have been better. We are seriously looking at their Russia trip for 2009 as we are already booked for the same Australia/South Pacific repositioning cruise that Pam is on in 2008.

Have fun everyone!

Bobbie

I agree with you on Trip Inusrance. I just think of it as part of the total cost. I just found it very unusal that a Doctor strongly suggested making sure I had Medical coverage and Medical evaculation coverage. This doctor does have a sub-specialty in Travel Medicine.

Actually my regular health insurance will cover me overseas, but I would need to pay and then file for reimbusment and also make all of the arrangements for medical travel. I would have to hope I could get all of the paperwork to file once I was well enough to take on the task.

Good trip insurance will give me (you) one number to call for assistance. An added benefits are the cancellation, luggage, delay in travel and other coverage.

My travel agent is usually able to help me compare coverage and costs of this insurance. The policies do differ in the amounts of $$ paid and circumstances, however, in all instances that I have selected, the entire cost of the trip, flight delays, medical emergencies and much more were, by my choice, covered well.

Seen too many folks lose thousands when weather delays caused them to miss connecting flights to their cruise/tour destinations. Also cruise table mates who had their vacation cut short when a family member back in the US was taken ill. They did not have the insurance...

It's a gamble... I personally feel better with coverage.

Jerry

Do you insure for the total cost of the cruist, air, etc. or just a small amount to give you the coverage for medical, evacuation and lost luggage?
It all depends. :) For my Viking trips, Viking handles the air, so I insure everything. After all, you're taking internal Chinese airline flights and you want to be able to have the people on the spot who speak English to help you.

As an FYI, I forgot to mention before the problem I had departing from Beijing to the U.S. on NW with a stop in Tokyo. My flight was supposed to leave at 9:05AM but we were held on the taxiway for well over 90 minutes while all the internal Chinese flights took off. We didn't depart until almost 11AM and with a 3 hour flight, an almost 2-hour delay is significant. One of the stewardesses told me that this is S.O.P. procedure for the Chinese, i.e., to hold up the international/American flights for the Chinese airlines and that Tokyo and the other regular stopover airports are aware of this and hold the planes. I was supposed to have 2 1/2 hours in Tokyo between flights but I had to race to my gate and got there as they were doing the final boarding.

You need to look at what you can afford if you do not insure the total trip.

You can purchase a yearly medical coverage policy. How much will total coverage cost vs just medical coverage?

How much will it cost you to purchase a last minute return air ticket home?

Trip insurance is like car and home insurance. You hope to never have to use it, but are very glad to have it when you do file the claim (s).

A friend of ours just got their "cruise docs" for the 12 October China trip. However, they said the only "docs" they received consisted of bag tags. As this is our 1st VRC cruise/tour (we are all doing our own air), should there be more than bag tags??

A friend of ours just got their "cruise docs" for the 12 October China trip. However, they said the only "docs" they received consisted of bag tags. As this is our 1st VRC cruise/tour (we are all doing our own air), should there be more than bag tags??
Absolutely! There should be a black (5"x8"?) bag/pouch that has the air eticket (oh, you're doing your own air but others would get their air e-ticket), the cruise voucher, two pamphlets (one with the day-to-day itinerary and the other with information about China), and the red circle dot -- in addition to the luggage tags. There should also be a red leather-like luggage tag that they can put on their luggage. The bag is like a purse that you can use to hold your docs when traveling. Silly question -- did you also do your own internal China air? We had to give our guide our air e-ticket for the flights.

Archived