Viking China

2tsquared

Hi, I'm new to this site so I may be posting this wrong.

Does anybody know if there is non-alcoholic beer on viking river cruises ships and if it is available in Beijing or Shanghai.

We are doing cultural Delights from Shanghai to Beijing on May 23, 2008

For those of you who have been... Did you take the VRC black ticket case with you?

Suzi

Hi

The excitement is mounting! Just received our tickets today but no VCR black ticket case - should I be upset?;)

I see we can only take one piece of hand luggage onto the plane in China (just when they have relaxed the rules here) but haven't been able to get on the Beijing airport site to check if that is in addition to a handbag (purse) and cameras. Has anyone been able to check this out?

I see Chongqing is only 150 miles or so from the epicentre of the earthquake but haven't been able to find out if Chongqing itself was badly affected.

Brenda

I have been in contact with Viking Cruises head office and they have assured me that all Viking cruises are operating. The only change they are making is that at the moment there is no lunch in the Lesser Three Gorges site and that the tour to the cave has been canceled. They are replacing the tour with another tour to ensure the safety of all their passengers.

Anyone on the upcoming China tours-is anyone concerned w/what's going on in China? Yes, I've been in contact w/Viking too, and have received their 'fluff assurances' but am still uneasy w/the impact this disaster has had on China, it's infrastructure, the death and disease issues, the 2 chemical plants that have collapsed due to the earthquake and the continuting aftershocks. Anyone else?

We just returned from the Jewels of China tour on April 28th.

Unless the policy has changed we were (officially) allowed 1 checked bag (weight not to exceed 44 lbs or 20 kgs) and one carry-on bag (weight of 11 lbs or 5 kgs).....we actually checked 1 bag (each) weighing over 55 lbs (25 kgs) and had several carry-ons (one weighing 40 lbs).....but we were warned continuously about the checked bags regarding weight and told to put as much "weight" into our carry-on bags. Over-head storage on the intra China flights (large aircraft) was more than adequate to accommodate the carry-ons.

One caution: You can not bring any liquids in carry-ons for the intra China flights. They will take them away from you. They took hand wipes away from me.

F.I.

Our friends are there now on a Viking Tour....they arrived 50 minutes before the quake (Monday) .....their tour started on May 13th in Beijing......we haven't heard from them yet so we don't know if anything has been changed or cancelled. When we hear something we'll post it.

F.I.

I have just spoken to a friend whose husband is working in Beijing and he has assured her that there is no problems. The only area that you have to be worried about is the area around the earthquake centre. He said that all airports are operating normally except for the ones damaged in the immediate earthquake area. He was in Xian at the time of the earthquake and reported no damage there.

I just spoke with our friend's son (here in the U.S.)...he talked with his parents yesterday....so far the current Viking tour appears to be going on as planned. I sent a message to them this evening at 7:00 P.M. EDT...as of 9:30 PM I haven't received a reply.

F.I.

Unless the policy has changed we were (officially) allowed 1 checked bag (weight not to exceed 44 lbs or 20 kgs) and one carry-on bag (weight of 11 lbs or 5 kgs).....we actually checked 1 bag (each) weighing over 55 lbs (25 kgs) and had several carry-ons (one weighing 40 lbs).....but we were warned continuously about the checked bags regarding weight and told to put as much "weight" into our carry-on bags. Over-head storage on the intra China flights (large aircraft) was more than adequate to accommodate the carry-ons.

One caution: You can not bring any liquids in carry-ons for the intra China flights. They will take them away from you. They took hand wipes away from me.

F.I.

Our paperwork states they are new regulations issued on 25 April 2008. They also confirm the liquid allowances "similar to current US requirements".

Brenda

I found this on the Air China website. It took some hunting for, but maybe this will help.

Restrictions on Liquid Items in Hand Luggage for Domestic Flights

To safeguard the safety of airline passengers, the General Administration of Civil Aviation of China has updated restrictions relating to liquid items that may be carried in hand luggage for domestic flights.

1. Liquid items are prohibited from hand luggage but can be packed in checked luggage. Packaging of liquids must comply with the relevant provisions of civil aviation transport.
  2. Small amounts of liquids are allowed in hand luggage as long as there in only one container for each product, each container is a maximum size of 100ml, and all items are placed in a single bag for inspection.
  3. Duty-free liquid items brought from passengers of overseas flights connecting to domestic flights must be placed in a sealed transparent plastic bag with the supporting proof of receipt. These items would need to be approved by the security inspector.
  4. Special provisions are made for liquid baby formula or medications. If traveling with an infant, please bring powder formula or request a baby meal 24 hours prior to departure. The air crew will hold any liquid medications that passengers may need for the flight. These items would need to be approved by the security inspector.
  5. For passengers taking international or regional flights, restrictions on liquid items in hand luggage is still subject to the relevant provisions in the General Administration of Civil Aviation of China’s Announcement on Liquid Restrictions in Hand Luggage for Civil Flights issued on March 17th 2007.
  6. Passengers who do not follow the above restrictions do so at their own risk.

We arrived home Monday morning, May 12th from the Imperial Jewels of China / Shanghai to Beijing route. It was a wonderful trip and we left just hours before the devastating earthquake hit.

A couple of updates on this trip. We were told by our guide "Jessie" that the one checked bag per person was being enforced. The three people in our group who had an extra checked piece had to pay additional. NO liquids on intra-China flights. This is different than U.S. policies. No 3 ounce rule in China.

Foot massage on board is now 218 RMB (approx. $31) for 45 minutes. Still a good value, but higher than it used to be. The back massage was 328 RMB.

Good wine now offered onboard! I am a red wine drinker and was prepared to go without for the duration. While they did have Chinese wine (didn't try it), they also had a variety of Italian wines that were quite good.

We stayed at the Ritz Carleton Portman - Shanghai, Shangri la - Xian and the China World in Beijing. All the hotels were excellent, with the Ritz being the nicest for us. China World was also great.

Lots of Chinese food! After reading posts here, we decided to skip the Peking Opera and duck dinner. The consensus of the group that went was that they wished they had spent their time elsewhere.

If you stay at China World in Beijing, the Silk Market is a 7 minute walk on a mostly pedestrian walkway. (Important in China because the cars stop for no one.) This is the market that has pearls, silks, knock-off clothing etc. But, if you go here, be prepared to be accosted at every turn. It's not a pleasant experience, but if you want to shop til you drop, this is the place and it can easily be done in an evening.

Also, we skipped the other Chinese dinner in Beijing and went to the Hutongs. Our guide said it would be too late to get a pedi-cab (rickshaw) ride at 6pm but we went anyway. We found the pedi-cabs running to well after 8pm. Offer them 100 RMB total for two people or 150 RMB total if you want to include a family visit. We opted for the 100RMB. They tried to tell us it was 180 RMB each and we walked away a couple of times until they agreed on the 100 RMB total for two. They did take us to a couple of courtyards where they wanted an additional amount to come in and take a look. We skipped that as well. Afterwards, you can walk around the lake and enjoy a drink at one of the many bars or restaurants. Cost of the cab from the hotel was 26 RMB ($4) each way. A very enjoyable evening.

Without exception, every Chinese person we met was happy and pleasant. It was a wonderful trip!

I found this on the Air China website. It took some hunting for, but maybe this will help.

Restrictions on Liquid Items in Hand Luggage for Domestic Flights

To safeguard the safety of airline passengers, the General Administration of Civil Aviation of China has updated restrictions relating to liquid items that may be carried in hand luggage for domestic flights.

1. Liquid items are prohibited from hand luggage but can be packed in checked luggage. Packaging of liquids must comply with the relevant provisions of civil aviation transport.
  2. Small amounts of liquids are allowed in hand luggage as long as there in only one container for each product, each container is a maximum size of 100ml, and all items are placed in a single bag for inspection.
  3. Duty-free liquid items brought from passengers of overseas flights connecting to domestic flights must be placed in a sealed transparent plastic bag with the supporting proof of receipt. These items would need to be approved by the security inspector.
  4. Special provisions are made for liquid baby formula or medications. If traveling with an infant, please bring powder formula or request a baby meal 24 hours prior to departure. The air crew will hold any liquid medications that passengers may need for the flight. These items would need to be approved by the security inspector.
  5. For passengers taking international or regional flights, restrictions on liquid items in hand luggage is still subject to the relevant provisions in the General Administration of Civil Aviation of China’s Announcement on Liquid Restrictions in Hand Luggage for Civil Flights issued on March 17th 2007.
  6. Passengers who do not follow the above restrictions do so at their own risk.

They were taking liquids of any kind away when we were there. It might be the hightened security because of the Olympics. I'd just be prepared and anything you don't want to risk losing, put in a ziploc bag in your checked baggage.

Folks:

I know what the Viking documents and airline web sites say about liquids in carry-on bags.......but the Chinese Government says no liquids of any kind....so you risk it being taken away from you....we were on the April 13, 2008 Viking tour and did 5 intra china flights (including the Hong Kong extension) on all of the 5 flights the carry-ons were checked for any liquids.......also the "pat downs" at airport security were a lot more "rigorous" than in the States so don't wear any metal objects.....but you can keep your shoes on.

F.I.

Folks:

I just got a call from my friends on the current Viking Tour....it's 6:30 A.M. on Friday (May 16) in Beijing....they're packing to go to Xian. They said that the tour is proceeding as planned and the tour guides are providing constant updates to them regarding conditions along their route. They didn't feel the earthquake on Monday as they were passing through immigration at the Beijing airport when it happened, but they did notice a lot people standing outside of buildings on their way to the (Hilton) hotel.

So far everything is going as scheduled.....they will report back if anything changes.

Also, they reported it's short sleeve weather there.

I hope this helps to ease any concerns anyone has about their trips.

F.I.

We are now down to less that two weeks before leaving for Beijing. I haven’t been keeping count on the number of us that have been chatting together, but I would like propose that we all try and meet at sometime. It may not be possible in Beijing or Xian as we may not all be staying in the same hotel. Our hotel will be the Ritz-Carlton in Beijing. Perhaps if we are not able to meet in Beijing, the first night onboard the boat in Chongqing might be a good time. We could meet and have our own welcome aboard party in the Observation Lounge or the Lotus Bar before dinner.

Just a thought, let me know what you think.

Hi

Great idea to meeting up on the first night on the boat.

Dale - we are at the Ritz Carlton as well - we will be in the bar when you arrive;) so will look out for you.

E&J if you are at the Ritz Carlton shall we meet up on the first evening in the Crystal Bar?

Brenda

Hi

Great idea to meeting up on the first night on the boat.

Dale - we are at the Ritz Carlton as well - we will be in the bar when you arrive;) so will look out for you.

E&J if you are at the Ritz Carlton shall we meet up on the first evening in the Crystal Bar?

Brenda

Sounds like a winner to me. Remember we don't get in until 9:40pm if we are on time. So it will probably be close to 11:00pm when we get to the hotel. Pardon me while I brag a little. Verna and I are going down to Key West tomorrow to see our new Grandson.

Archived