Viking China

2tsquared

WIT, thanks so much for the idea of using a paper cup while using a non-western toliet:

We used the paper cups for brushing our teeth with bottled water while in our cabin on the boat or in a hotel. When in a non-Western toilet you need both hands free.

WIT

WIT, thanks so much for the idea of using a paper cup while using a non-western toliet:

We used the paper cups for brushing our teeth with bottled water while in our cabin on the boat or in a hotel. When in a non-Western toilet you need both hands free.

I also posted on ways to stay healthy while in transit and during the trip. You can review these by clicking my name and selecting "View all posts"

WIT

Received my 2009 River Cruise brochure and see Viking is only doing one China tour, Imperial Jewels, next year. It appears that they will only have one ship doing the Yangtze, the Viking Century Sky. I would have thought that China would become more popular following the Olympics, but guess that is not going to happen. Too bad.

Dorothy

Received my 2009 River Cruise brochure and see Viking is only doing one China tour, Imperial Jewels, next year. It appears that they will only have one ship doing the Yangtze, the Viking Century Sky. I would have thought that China would become more popular following the Olympics, but guess that is not going to happen. Too bad.

Dorothy

Here's a reply we got from Viking regarding this subject:

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Viking River Cruises website.

The Viking Century Sky will not be sailing in 2009, and most itineraries for that season were impacted. This redployment has not affected the 2008 season, and as of now, all departures for the remainder of will be sailing as planned.

Again, thank you for your interest in Viking River Cruises. We look forward to welcoming you aboard our award-winning ships very soon!

Kind Regards,

Reservations Department

Viking River Cruises, Inc.

(877)668-4546

www.vikingrivercruises.com

Viking is taking a real hit with the slow down in tourists on the ships. On our cruise there was only 100 passengers, the previous one had 150, and the next one was 125. With the restrictions on visas, the Olympics and Tibet as well as the earthquake, people are canceling their trips to China. Viking is one of the few companies that has not canceled all cruises for this summer. China's stats for June showed that they had 50% less tourists in June than the previous year.

We just got back today and are ready to for bed. We started at 3 am Bangkok time and got back home at 3 pm our time. Their was a 14 hour time difference too. The Bangkok/Cambodia add on was fantastic. I would highly recommend it.

Hi All - my wife and I will be on the 9/17/08 Imperial Jewels tour - the cruise part will be on the Century Sky.

I've read all of the posts here and I'm still a little confused. There seems to be differing opinions as to whether you can pay your shipboard account with US dollars. I certainly don't want to use my credit card if there are double conversion fees and I really don't want to convert any more US dollars to yuans before I get on the ship than I have to. Has anyone settled their shipboard account with US dollars?

Also, assuming I can use US dollars to pay my shipboard fees - what would be a reasonable amount of yuans to get that first night at the hotel? My wife and I are not shoppers. I'm just trying to figure out how many yuans I might need for incidentals that can't be paid for in USD.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Abe. Don't pay with US dollars for your shipboard account. Viking gives a very poor exchange rate. The banks were paying 2 RMB more per US dollar than the ship was. Several people on our tour were very annoyed at the exchange rate they were give.

Abe. Don't pay with US dollars for your shipboard account. Viking gives a very poor exchange rate. The banks were paying 2 RMB more per US dollar than the ship was. Several people on our tour were very annoyed at the exchange rate they were give.

I'm very grateful for the advice. I did not know that the ship had a different or worse exchange rate than the banks and hotels. I will definitely settle my account in RMB.

Thank you very much for the info and welcome back.

We just got our visas in the mail and we are all set for the Imperial Jewels Trip with the Vietnam Extension. Our travel agent tells us that the tour is sold out with a waiting list, but the Vietnam extension as 8 couples only.

Haven't heard of anyone else going on this board but will post a review when we return.

Since your extended tour has only 8 people, Viking will not have a Viking tour guide with you but will have local guides only. They are still good but you will have to manage the airports on your own without Viking looking after you. Viking only includes a Viking tour guide if there are at minimum 15 people going on the extended tour.

Viking is supposed to be doing a Viking River cruise in Viet Nam next year. It will be interesting to see what is included.

WIT

Both hands free:confused:

We would like to chat with those who have booked this trip but have seen no posts. Reply by email if you wish not to post.

onboard - Use the search function seeking me (WIT) or Coasters to read many posts about our 4/07 Cultural Delights cruise. I would prefer to respond in this thread rather than CHAT, since the questions and answers are seen by many who just want info rather than interaction. I would be happy to answer questions after you have read the answers already written. Just click these links:

WIT (25 posts)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=10698837

Coasters (18 posts)

WIT

onboard - Use the search function seeking me (WIT) or Coasters to read many posts about our 4/07 Cultural Delights cruise. I would prefer to respond in this thread rather than CHAT, since the questions and answers are seen by many who just want info rather than interaction. I would be happy to answer questions after you have read the answers already written. Just click these links:

WIT (25 posts)

Coasters (18 posts)

WIT

After checking and rechecking, the link feature is not working correctly so I suggest Searching This Thread for WIT and Coasters. Or type in a topic and read posts just on that topic. I certainly understand wanting to avoid examining all pages of this thread. In early 2007 it was going to take more time than I had. Fortunately I found the Search feature.

WIT

If you are looking for people that are booked on the same cruise as you, you may not get much of a response from this board as I found on my cruise no one on the cruise had actually heard of this board. Hope you do connect though before your cruise. Enjoy it. It is a fascinating trip.

If you are looking for people that are booked on the same cruise as you, you may not get much of a response from this board as I found on my cruise no one on the cruise had actually heard of this board. Hope you do connect though before your cruise. Enjoy it. It is a fascinating trip.

We connected with 4 or 5 other couples before our China Viking River cruise on CC. It was great....we even met up with a few of them in the airport before the long flight to China.

Regards,

Arlene

Arlene You were lucky. Everyone I spoke to on our cruise did not know that this website existed. A few of them said that they would look when they got home.

It would have been nice if certain people had read this website then they would not have been disappointed. Actually if they had read the brochure and the documentation sent to them, they would not have been disappointed. They just wanted to shop and see nothing. When we arrived at several spots, they disappeared into the gift shop never to be seen again until it was time to be on the bus again. A shame to spend that much money and not see the sights.

Wednesday, 30 July 2008 CNBC will air a program called

"China - The People's Republic of Profits".

Time 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central.

If you miss it the program will be repeated. Check you CNBC schedule.

I've become as "China Watcher" on TV after returning from our VR China trip in Nov 2007.

Emily

The Travel Channel this evening has Samantha Brown touring China. Some nice memories.

WIT

I've been watching this and it's a must. Yesterday she went to Xian and even our Tang Dynasty show was included! I agree that it brought back nice memories. And for those of you who haven't yet gone, great orientation.

Wish we had had more time to visit the other sites in Xian.

I guess in preparation for the Olympics lots of TV programming is on China. Anthony Bourdain has also been in China. And one of the stations had The Last Emperor. I thought that movie was great and it helped explain a lot of what we saw later on the trip. I seem to recall that they even showed it on the ship.

After watching Samantha Brown's first episode which showed Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City - I'm becoming concerned that one of my traveling companions might not be able to keep up on the tours.

I believe I read in a post somewhere that there were always enterprising Chinese with bamboo chairs on wheels that were available for hire at many of the stops. Does anyone that's been on the Imperial Jewels or Cultural Delights tours know if this is true? I know there's help available at the docks getting up or down the many steps but I'm more concerned about the city walking tours.

Thanks

After watching Samantha Brown's first episode which showed Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City - I'm becoming concerned that one of my traveling companions might not be able to keep up on the tours.

I believe I read in a post somewhere that there were always enterprising Chinese with bamboo chairs on wheels that were available for hire at many of the stops. Does anyone that's been on the Imperial Jewels or Cultural Delights tours know if this is true? I know there's help available at the docks getting up or down the many steps but I'm more concerned about the city walking tours.

Thanks

The helpers are known as the "stick people". You will find them wherever there is any elevation from the boat to the city. Usually $1 US per carry. We also had someone who needed help everywhere (sprained ankle the first day). Other than the optional cave tour there was always someone ready with a wheelchair.

WIT

My husband & I were on the Imperial Jewels tour and sailed on the Century Sun in March. I purchased pearls while I was on the ship and would like to contact them for another purchase. I'm hoping someone taking the tour in the near future will see if they have a web site or an email address. Any info will be appreciated. I ended up giving my pearls to a dear friend and would like to replace them.

If anyone is considering purchasing one of the warriors from Xian, and concerned about the shipping etc. we did purchase one and it arrived in about 3 weeks all in one piece.........phew. It was extremely well packed. In retrospect, the only purchase we made I wish we hadn't was the silk rug. I don't think we received a particularly good deal and the edges are unravelling at the moment :mad: I also have a hunch it was machine made in a factory outside the city............

All in all it was a wonderful trip, and now watching the travel channel in China, it makes me realize I only saw the tip of the ice berg. We are taking a cruise next winter and will end in Shanghi, and we are planning on spending 3 extra daysin the vicinity. The city was exciting but we would like to visit a few of the cities ouside.

My only regret is we did not go in early and stay over in Shanghi. We were tantalized by the cheap airfare Viking offered. Oh well, now we have a good excuse to visit China again:)

Lesley

Archived