Viking China

2tsquared

You can also have United apply your miles to accounts for one of their Star Alliance partners. We also don't usually fly United, but I have arranged for them to apply our miles to our US Airways accounts.

My husband and I just booked the November 19, 2008 Cultural Delights trip. We are extremely excited about the entire trip and the wonders ahead.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. The knowledge and sharing are amazing. By reading through it, so many of my questions have been answered. We have found Viking very easy to work with and look forward to their tours and service. Your posts on so many details have really helped.

I do have a couple of questions. We are doing our own air and booked United with miles. We decided to fly into Hong Kong on our own for 4 days and then fly up to Shanghai. We want to stay one night in Shanghai and then meet up with Viking on the 19th. It would be easiest if we could book the same hotel they will book. However, right now they are unable to tell us what hotel that will be? From you experience, is there one hotel they use more than others? Or, when do you know what hotel you will be staying in? Apparently it is based on the type of cabin you book on the ship. Thanks.

Does this trip allow us to see Pandas?

Also, has anyone gone into China on their own before the cruise and had any problems with the VISAs that they have arranged? Since it covers 90 days, I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but I don't want to get to China and be turned away for any reason.

Also, anyone else taking this particular trip on Nov. 19? It is the last sailing of the year.

Thanks again so much. We look forward to learning even more.

The Shanghai to Beijing trip does take you to see the pandas, The other way does not. My one regret is that I did not see the pandas as I went the other way.

You are smart having the days before in Hong Kong. We wished we had flown in the day before to Beijing. We were really tired by the time we hit the river cruise.

You can also have United apply your miles to accounts for one of their Star Alliance partners. We also don't usually fly United, but I have arranged for them to apply our miles to our US Airways accounts.

Bob - When & how did you arrange the switch? We will be on United but, like you, we don't fly them often and would prefer to have the miles in our US Airways accounts. Did you make your own flight arrangements or go through Viking?

Bob - When & how did you arrange the switch? We will be on United but, like you, we don't fly them often and would prefer to have the miles in our US Airways accounts. Did you make your own flight arrangements or go through Viking

We have Alaska miles and just check to see if they are partners w/the airline we're traveling on. I just plug in my Alaska miles # online (your documents have your eticket # on them if Viking did your air) or, when you check in at the airport, give them your miles card and ask them to do it manually. Been lucky so far, each trip we've taken w/Viking, have been able to put on our Alaska miles account and not on the airlines they (Viking) use.

We are looking at taking the Viking Sun Beijing to Shanghai next april 12th 09 to met up with a Royal Carribean cruise we are doing.

I gather from the previous threads that there is not much time for shopping? So should we arrive a day earlier?

Also, the Great Wall- apparently there are areas not so busy- do viking take you to these areas?

Viking is more expensive than the other companies, ( we have been on viking in Europe), but the reason we are considering them is because of the food and cabins. Apparently, with some of the other companies, the food is very chinese and my friend said a lot of people on her cruise got sick( she went with wendy wu).

I know viking in europe always have a steak or chicken at night available for those who eat plain food, is this the same on the china trips.

Also,what airlines do they use for the intra china flights?

Lastly, are the excusions very rushed?

Thanks

We are looking at taking the Viking Sun Beijing to Shanghai next april 12th 09 to met up with a Royal Carribean cruise we are doing.

I gather from the previous threads that there is not much time for shopping? So should we arrive a day earlier?

Also, the Great Wall- apparently there are areas not so busy- do viking take you to these areas?

Viking is more expensive than the other companies, ( we have been on viking in Europe), but the reason we are considering them is because of the food and cabins. Apparently, with some of the other companies, the food is very chinese and my friend said a lot of people on her cruise got sick( she went with wendy wu).

I know viking in europe always have a steak or chicken at night available for those who eat plain food, is this the same on the china trips.

Also,what airlines do they use for the intra china flights?

Lastly, are the excusions very rushed?

No time per say to shop unless via the vendors or the sanctioned Viking stop off's. Wish I would of gone early due to jet lag, etc., boy, on this trip (we took the same June of this year) you hit the ground running and don't stop til you're on the plane headed home! Yes, as on the European trip, you are offered chicken, beef or I think a caesar salad. The beef looked like round steak or something. I had no problem w/the food on the boat, if I didn't like what they had, I went vegetarian, always plenty of veggies! Not sure of the airlines we used intra China, but be ready for an experience! The excursions weren't really rushed, but we were always going, going, going.

The 'less crowded' area of the Great Wall is the more 'difficult' walk way up.

After this trip, I've sure learned to appreciate my 'personal space'.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me- dpump@aol.com

Enjoy! It'll be an experience of a lifetime!

Yes, as on the European trip, you are offered chicken, beef or I think a caesar salad. The beef looked like round steak or something.

I'll try and answer the part about the steak.

I tried it once, much to my dismay. I don't even think it qualified to even be called "something". The soles of my shoes are thicker and more tender than what was brought to the table. I did manage to cut off one piece, bite down on it once and then sent it back to the kitchen. It sort of reminded me of the meat we saw when we visited the open air market in Fengdu. Here's a picture of what they were selling the day we were there. All I can say is "buyer beware'.

2484570500101254243S500x500Q85.jpg

Remember to watch the weight of your suitcases. You are allowed one suitcase, 41 pounds only. It depends on your tour guide if you can get away with a heavier bag. They weigh them all together and if everyone is over, then you will pay.

I found the places they took you to to be expensive. If you want to buy jade, they take you to a jade factory after the Great Wall. It is cheaper there than at the Great Wall. We held back on the shopping because of the weight restrictions, but then found we really didn't want to buy all that much anyhow.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful posts!

We're leaving on october 6 for the shanghai to beijing on the sky. Thanks to your advice I changed my cabin from the very back of the ship to the front - d-301.

I'm not a shopaholic but so far these are the things I'm interested in buying - the silk duvets - could anyone tell me if they're machine washable? Can they fit in a suitcase if I pack really lightly? Are there any terra cotta soldiers for sale with their horses? Also, I've always admired silk-velvet apparel and wonder if anyone came across any sellers.

I'm hoping for some perfect weather, but isn't that just the luck of the draw!

I do not think the silk duvets are washable, probably dry clean only. Also most of the patterns are florals.

The terra cotta warriors and the horses are in many sizes.

Have a great trip.

Emily

thanks Emily-

I've been trying to figure out if the Shanghai to Beijing route stops at a silk factory and it looks like it goes to a silk rug place only. I read that there's a chain store like Walmart in Shanghai called Carrefours - they sell the silk duvets cheap but I'm not sure which quality they are. I wonder if the Silk Market in Beijing has them?

Barb

I purchased one and I seem to recall that we can handwash them. I have quite a plain one. It does not have any floral patterns on it. We have really been enjoying having it on our bed at home and it will last as a memory of our trip for a long time. I am not sure if you go to silk factory or not. We went Beijing to Shanghai. I think if you do the 9 day cruise, then you will go to the silk factory. Enjoy your trip, it will be fantastic.

We are going from Beijing to Shanghai, which part of the trip is the visit to the silk factory?

Thanks

newnanna, we visited 2 silk factories. The first mostly rugs. From your question it seemes you're interested in the second factory, so here's a clip from my China Cultural Delights journal:

------

Day 15 – Tuesday, April 24, 2007 Nanjing (the 14th century wall overlooking the lake) then to Suzhu and the Gardens – followed by a visit to the silk factory and then onto Shanghai.

It was to be a long day… breakfast was a combination of handshakes and hugs – the staff and facilities were hard to leave, but it’s time to move on.

Promptly at 8:30 we departed – the sun shining brightly as we left the pier with the Century Sun staff waving goodbye.

The weather was again perfect, the bus very comfortable with good leg room the sky while bright, the pollution made it hard to see the distant tall, modern high rises of the skyline.

Passengers in the bus are coughing, some better some worse, but the trend is increasing.

We stop along the route to pick up our local guide Tom.

Tom’s English is excellent and his stories and jokes break the ice with us. He’s quite a character, knows his subject and it will become apparent later that his interest in the silk factory may be ties to our interest in purchasing goods.

First to the Nanjing 14th century wall .. For some nice photo opps. Then to Lunch at the hotel which was excellent – typical Chinese dishes, excellent service.

Then to the Silk factory – demonstrations of the silk worm farming and spinning. Very very interesting to see how the silk is harvested, processed and then spun into goods.

The showrooms that followed were beautiful. We were encourage to purchase – many did. We bought a king size lightweight silk fiber filled quilt, a duvet cover and 2 pillow cases – total was 1890 RMB or about $250.00. Many purchased scarves, quilts, jackets and more. Cost to ship a quilt was about 45.00.

Back to the bus at 4:10 then for the 2 hour ride to Shanghai and the Ritz.

---------------------

Hope this helps you.

Diane & Jerry

Got our documents from Viking today--yippee!!

I've been able to confirm that the St. Regis in Shanghai has hair dryers, but can't find that info for either the Shangri-La in Xian or China World in Beijing. I'm assuming they both do, but can anyone confirm that for me? (One less thing to pack!)

Thanks,

Debra

Got our documents from Viking today--yippee!!

I've been able to confirm that the St. Regis in Shanghai has hair dryers, but can't find that info for either the Shangri-La in Xian or China World in Beijing. I'm assuming they both do, but can anyone confirm that for me? (One less thing to pack!)

Thanks,

Debra

Debra,

We stayed at both the hotels you asked about. You will find every amenity needed - hair dryer and more. If you want to get into detail, read my journal.

http://glevitz.com/ebayimages/vikingjournal.htm

Diane & Jerry

The carpet silk factory is in Beijing. This was the one I could have skipped.

The second silk factory, the interesting one was in Suzhou. You leave the ship that day and have a long bus ride with several stops. The first part of the tour was the silk duvets and if you walked into the other store, they had silk pj's, nighties, jackets, blouses, etc for men, women and children. The also had an area that had ties, scarves, pashminas, bags, and all sorts of other wonderful and reasonable gifts. I will admit that I did most of my shopping here. Some of the shopaholics had to be pulled out of the stores. One in our group bought 6 silk duvets and walked out of the other part of the store with 12 huge bags and another suitcase to put her shopping in. While on the trip she bought 3 large suitcases. She came with 4 large suitcases in the first place. Our tour guide pulled miracles to get all of her and her sisters luggage on the inter China flights.

this is so confusing because alot of you were on different package tours with Viking. The one I'm on - Shanghai to Beijing - Imperial Jewels of China - 12 day cruisetour - only stops at a silk carpet workshop in Shanghai, and I'm pretty sure there's no duvets there. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm considering on my day of arrival in Shanghai, since my flight gets in at 2:30, that I'll have enough time to arrange for a taxi to take me to 3 highlights that I wouldn't be seeing on my tour, and they're all in the same area of Hangzhou - the Silk Museum (also called the Jiang Nan Silk Exhibition), the Tea Museum (famous to longjing tea), and the Lingyin Temple, which is considered a must see. Does anyone have experience with these attractions?

Go to the Bund because the tour gives you 15 minutes there. Go on your own.

Penob: Thank you for that! That's what we're going to do the first day, unless we're totally dead on our feet or something. Our flight is scheduled to arrive Shanghai at 1:55 PM--should give us time to check out the Bund and have dinner before crashing in our hotel room that evening.

Anyone who's already been there, done that: Our documents from Viking give Steven Shu's email address to contact if we have flight delays, etc. Does that mean he's going to be our guide? If so, I'm happy because I've read so many good things about him here. On the other hand, I don't recall reading anything negative about any of the Viking guides, so I guess we'll be happy with whoever we get.

If anyone lurking happens to be taking the Shanghai-Beijing tour that arrives & starts in Shanghai 9/27/08, please speak up! When we get on the boat you'll know who I am because I'll be the one asking everyone else why they didn't join my Roll Call on Cruise Critic! :D

Debra

Archived