Viking China

2tsquared

We received our final docs for our Sept 17th Imperial Jewels trip. Our prelim docs indicated we were staying at the St Regis which I had researched and was prepared for. Our final docs show us staying at the Pudong Shangri-La.

Does anyone who has stayed there on the first night of their tour have any suggestions for what to do for food. We won't arrive until probably 7:30 pm and I really don't want a big meal and then go to bed. Are there any fast food restaurants or small cafes in the area? I can always pack crackers and cheese or Cups of Noodles but I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

<<Not sure of the airlines we used intra China, but be ready for an experience! >>

dpump: May I ask what you mean by that comment? I'm not keen on flying in general. Having to take 5 flights in China has me totally nervous. I've read in earlier posts that the planes are fairly new. Should I be more nervous than I already am???

Kelley

PS We are on Roof of the World starting in Beijing Oct 6. Anyone else?

Do the Bund at night. It is something else. People and lights everywhere. We went during the day too but it just didn't have the atmosphere that it does at night. We felt perfectly safe wandering around seeing the sights.

I felt perfectly safe while on all inter-China flights. They are new planes and actually the service was pretty good. Better than what we get here on our airlines nationally. The food is so so, but then where does one get good airline food?

Good idea. At night is better. As we have said before, go after the show. Don't go directly to the hotel. Leave the group after the acrobatic show and spend some time at the Bund. Or go the first night and do something else during the day.

Koda-

Flights were fine-just the 'experience'. First time I've went to buy water in an airport and had ducks hanging next to it! First time I've been served YAK on a flight! When waiting for first intra China flight, the gate changed and as we are used to doing, were getting ready to run to next gate. Our guide told us to just stay. They brought a bus over and everyone piled on the bus-talk about learning to appreciate ones 'personal space'. As we were leaving Shangahi and got through all the security, alot of us bought something to drink, little did we know that prior to boarding the plane, we would have to go though security again and have to give up our drinks we'd just purchased. You'll be fine, just have alot of patience, good sense of humor and go with the flow!

Koda-

Flights were fine-just the 'experience'. First time I've went to buy water in an airport and had ducks hanging next to it! First time I've been served YAK on a flight! When waiting for first intra China flight, the gate changed and as we are used to doing, were getting ready to run to next gate. Our guide told us to just stay. They brought a bus over and everyone piled on the bus-talk about learning to appreciate ones 'personal space'. As we were leaving Shangahi and got through all the security, alot of us bought something to drink, little did we know that prior to boarding the plane, we would have to go though security again and have to give up our drinks we'd just purchased. You'll be fine, just have alot of patience, good sense of humor and go with the flow!

Thanks for the info! I'm used to ducks hanging....my husband is Chinese and we visit Chinatown in San Fransicso or Oakland frequently. Not so sure about Yak! LOL Knowing that the "experience" is airport related makes me feel a lot better. :)

Kelley

Bob - When & how did you arrange the switch? We will be on United but, like you, we don't fly them often and would prefer to have the miles in our US Airways accounts. Did you make your own flight arrangements or go through Viking?

Hi. Sorry it took so long to reply, but we were away for about ten days. Anyway, the answer to your question is that as soon as we found out the flights that had been assigned to us by Viking, we called United to reserve seats. In the same phone conversation, I gave United our US Airways frequent flyer numbers, and they applied those numbers to our reservation. They also gave us our United flight confirmation number to be able to track any flight changes. Hope this helps. Bob

Hi. Sorry it took so long to reply, but we were away for about ten days. Anyway, the answer to your question is that as soon as we found out the flights that had been assigned to us by Viking, we called United to reserve seats. In the same phone conversation, I gave United our US Airways frequent flyer numbers, and they applied those numbers to our reservation. They also gave us our United flight confirmation number to be able to track any flight changes. Hope this helps. Bob

It does help, Bob. Thanks!

I would not worry about the safety of the Intra China Flights.

The China airlines had a poor safety record in the 1990's until 2000.

In 2000 or 2001 China replaced the China equivalent of chief of FAA. ( He was beheaded for accepting bribes, etc).

The China airlines now have the best safety record in the world. In fact the USA FAA has sent people to China to learn from the Chinese airlines.

Relax and have a great trip.

Emily

In 2000 or 2001 China replaced the China equivalent of chief of FAA. ( He was beheaded for accepting bribes, etc).

The China airlines now have the best safety record in the world. In fact the USA FAA has sent people to China to learn from the Chinese airlines.

Emily

Now that’s what I call giving the new guy, Work Incentive.

Now that’s what I call giving the new guy, Work Incentive.

LOL Good one! Thanks for the info Emily, helps a lot. My mind says I have no reason to worry, my emotions say differently.

We leave in less than 3 wks. I am so much more prepared thanks to everyone's posts here. Thanks!

Kelley

Emily

We were on the first trip this year, and I also was concerned about the China airline safety. It was a smooth take-off,flight and landing. One of our group was a former US pilot and he felt perfectly safe. Our flight was VERY full . They are not long flights.

Also I don't believe China "beheads" Their method of execution is a bullet to the head and now occasionally lethal injection or life in prison. Hong Kong has their own law and does not believe in execution

It was a wonderful trip, and we would like to go back and spend more time.

Have a great trip.

While we were in China in November 2007, China replaced the head of the China Environmental Agency. Again the old leader of the China Environmental Agency was convicted of taking bribes to not enforce the rules and regulation and was then executed in public. This was covered in the China English language newspapers and China Channel 9 English Lanaguage TV.

Try to check out China Channel 9 TV for the English language programing.

That was a learning experience on what is covered and the type of coverage. Have a great trip and enjoy your time in China.

Emily

For those of you who started out in Shanghai - I'm still trying to find out if the "silk carpet workshop" tourstop on day 3, sells silk duvets and pillows like the Silk Factory does.

Not to seem too obesessed or anything, after all I'm really going on this trip to 1-experience the wall, and 2-cruise the river. But oh my, I don't want to miss out on my only shopping desire!

Emily, I'm determined to "behave" to avoid the "beheading" experience!!

thanks for all your tips! ;)

Barb

I have been concerned over the intra China flights as the reputation of the the chinese airlines( amongst Australians is very poor), so I am glad to hear differently. It is quite ironic that I should worry about the intra china flights as my recents experiences with qantas have not been very comforting- on Tuesday night returning home from Perth- the earlier flight had to turn back 45mins into the flight due to smoke in the cabin ( lucky I was on the next flight but had work collegues on this one) My flight eventually departed 1.55 mins late- ( first delay due to problem with toilets and second delay to the passenger not boarding and his lugguage needing to be located and taken off) not good when you chose the horror midnight flight so as to be home in time for a meeting).

A couple of weeks ago traveling on a flight to Sydney we had a 3 hrs delay firstly due to faulty airconditioning hose needing to be replaced and then further delay as airstaff run out of working hours allowance so we had to wait for replacement pilot and attendents. Oh due what is happening to Qantas?

Emily, I'm determined to "behave" to avoid the "beheading" experience!!

thanks for all your tips! ;)

Barb

:D :D You had better “behave”. I read that for those that were shot. They had been billing the families of the deceased for the BULLET. :D :D

Moontime Barb..... the silk carpet factory does not sell duvets or comforters or pillows - only silk rugs in various sizes.

At the Silk Market (selling everything in the world - not a silk place) in Beijing, I noticed that the top floor was very upscale. Perhaps someone who actually shopped up there (I was lost when I went up there) can tell you if there is a silk duvet and pillow booth or store. Other than that, I don't know where your dream can come true.

Debra - we saw the pandas - there aren't many at the zoo. Due to their endangered and delicate condition, I don't think you are going to get to hold one. Maybe a stuffed one? There are plenty of those available.

The domestic Chinese airlines seemed safe, but don't get on board hungry! The food met with rave reviews, but none positive in nature.

Mary Frances

Moontide,

We just got back from teh August 28th Shanghai to Beijing trip. Wonderful, wonderful trip but definitely no silk bedding on the 3rd day silk rug factory stop and definitely no chance to hold pandas, although we saw and photographed LOTS of pandas at the zoo. You will absolutely love this trip. Our guide, Grant, was super good.

thanks Chicagogal and Luckygranny for answering my question about purchasing silk duvets! I will now try to figure out how to get one on my own while in Shanghai.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip so much - it's a pretty exciting itinerary!

cheers,

Barb

Moontime Barb..... the silk carpet factory does not sell duvets or comforters or pillows - only silk rugs in various sizes.

At the Silk Market (selling everything in the world - not a silk place) in Beijing, I noticed that the top floor was very upscale. Perhaps someone who actually shopped up there (I was lost when I went up there) can tell you if there is a silk duvet and pillow booth or store. Other than that, I don't know where your dream can come true.

Debra - we saw the pandas - there aren't many at the zoo. Due to their endangered and delicate condition, I don't think you are going to get to hold one. Maybe a stuffed one? There are plenty of those available.

The domestic Chinese airlines seemed safe, but don't get on board hungry! The food met with rave reviews, but none positive in nature.

Mary Frances

Mary Frances - Thanks for the info about the pandas. I was pretty sure that would be the case, but was hoping otherwise. I work with a really obnoxious woman who adores pandas and I wanted to get a picture of me holding one (like Samantha on the travel channel) to email to her . . . childish I suppose, but she's such a witch--just wanted to stick it to her!

Thanks for the info.

Debra

Debra - you can't hold the pandas but they are right there across the railing. We took great pictures of each other at the railing, facing the camera, with a panda right behind us which was surrounded by and munching on a pile of bamboo. The black and white and green makes a beautiful shot - if you have a black and white shirt, wear it that day. Your co-worker will be jealous! Be sure to take your hat off for the picture - I, unfortunately, did not and it looks silly. You can buy your "friend" a tiny stuffed panda key chain to rub it in.

Great trip! Have fun! :)

Mary Frances

Debra - you can't hold the pandas but they are right there across the railing. We took great pictures of each other at the railing, facing the camera, with a panda right behind us which was surrounded by and munching on a pile of bamboo. The black and white and green makes a beautiful shot - if you have a black and white shirt, wear it that day. Your co-worker will be jealous! Be sure to take your hat off for the picture - I, unfortunately, did not and it looks silly. You can buy your "friend" a tiny stuffed panda key chain to rub it in.

Great trip! Have fun! :)

Mary Frances

Mary Frances - Thank you! Yes, I will be taking a black and white blouse so I will wear it that day. The key chain sounds like a good idea, too. I hope there's someone like you on my trip--you sound like you'd be a lot of fun to travel with.

We will have fun! :D

Debra

Archived