Carnival Fantasy for Sale???

Boots the Monkey

It won't sell for $100 Million.

If Carnival averages 104% of the 2,052 lower berths (104% is the industry norm) at $60 per person per night, that's a little better than $46.7 Million annually in fares. Assuming onboard spending is also around $60 per person per night (roughly the industry norm), you can effectively double that.

Most cruise lines typically have 12-15% margin, so you figure that would be around $13 Million a year in profit. If you had the cash sitting around, it will take you eight years to recover your investment, assuming you do nothing more than repaint the funnel and change the signs.

The cruises from Mobile have sold well, if not sold out completely, so even getting a 30% bump (2,604 maximum vs. 2,052 lower berths), may net you about another $4 Million annually.

But of course money isn't free. Even with a good interest rate from a bank, borrowing $100 Million will cost you tens of millions of dollars more. The bank isn't going to give you eight years, much less ten or twelve.

Carnival Corporation has sold ships and canceled cruises before (see Costa/Bahamas Paradise Grand Celebration), but even if you were willing to pay the price, you might not get to take delivery before May 2019.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note7 using Tapatalk. Hey, do you smell anything burning?

This listing has been seen on various sites for quite a few years. I remember seeing it as far back as 2013.

As mentioned above, $100 million is likely an unreasonable price tag for the ship. I believe the thinking has been that Carnival has used these listings to try and get an accurate value for the Fantasy Class ships, for when they do decide to sell them. While the Fantasy class is considered small compared to the newer ships being built, they are goliaths to the secondary market and it is uncertain whether ships this size could be profitable if put in service by smaller companies. Therefore there is a lot of uncertainty about how much money, if any, a buyer would put into one of these ships.

Wouldn't bother me at all if they sell all the Fantasy class ships. I think it was 2005 when I last cruised one of them and they were old then, over 10 years ago.

Let them build Conquest and Vista class size ships and modernize that way. No need for the behemoths like Harmony size, but modernization is a priority (despite the Fantasy fanatics on this board).

Edited by evandbob

Fantasy has been listed for sale for years. No one wants old cruise ships anymore. Everyone is building new. Costa got lucky when Celebration Cruise Line nearly sank their one ship and they were able to sell the old Celebration to them as they transitioned to their new name, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line.

Fantasy has been listed for sale for years. No one wants old cruise ships anymore. Everyone is building new. Costa got lucky when Celebration Cruise Line nearly sank their one ship and they were able to sell the old Celebration to them as they transitioned to their new name, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line.

Word on the Bahamas Paradise board is they are interested in some old Royal Caribbean ships.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note7 using Tapatalk. Hey, do you smell anything burning?

Word on the Bahamas Paradise board is they are interested in some old Royal Caribbean ships.

I bet RCI would love to sell them some, too!! Opportunities like that are few and far between these days.

Yes, the cat 11's up top (real small and no privacy), and the cat 12's down on the Upper deck (recessed and nice sized), or thereabouts.

Carnival should have taken the opportunity at the last dry dock to add balconies of the 18 aft cabins. The price per person would go up another $50/night at least, so 365 x 18 x 2 x 50 = $657,000 annually. That seems like it would have been easy money to justify spending.

It's been for sale for years now! But will probably end up on Alang Beach!

I was kinda hoping Richard Branson would buy the lot to start up his Virgin Cruises, and simply start operating them using the very successful Carnival playbook from the late 80's, the late 90's, or even the early 00's. It's all there.

But, alas, it sounds like he's creating newbuilds. Although, he could still use the Carnival playbook. They certainly have thrown it away.

Had our first (and only ever) PH suite on Fantasy. Ship was a bit "too small" for us, but will still have a soft spot in my heart for her!

Ah, that "first time" rememberance!

I look back fondly on my 1st car purchase, a brand new 1972 Toyota Corolla.

Love that car, with its 4 speed stick and over 40 mpg.

Would I want to drive or purchase the same car today? Absolutely not.

Which Carnival home ports have height restrictions? I know Tampa and Baltimore can't accept anything larger than the Spirit class, but Carnival can't just replace everything indiscriminately with ships carrying 4,000-5,000 passengers.

The only real candidates for consolidation I see would be as follows:

1) Long Beach: Imagination + Inspiration = 1 newer ship. They get sent to San Juan and Charleston, while Ecstasy and Fascination are retired.

2) Miami: Sensation + Victory = 1 newer ship, although that may still be a few hundred berths short; Victory would be moved to Mobile while Fantasy gets retired.

Even if Carnival could pull the trigger on those moves in 2020 and 2022, it probably will take the next four ships to retire the rest of the Fantasy class - Paradise or Elation could be 32 years old by the time that happens.

Which Carnival home ports have height restrictions? I know Tampa and Baltimore can't accept anything larger than the Spirit class, but Carnival can't just replace everything indiscriminately with ships carrying 4,000-5,000 passengers.

Also, Jacksonville.

new york due to the verrazano narrows bridge. The vista can dock, so i hope for another vista like ship instead of the old sunshine in the future