Live from Seabourn Encore

Able Seaman H

To enter the Retreat you have to rent a Cabana at $350 per suite. There is additional seating to the space inside the cabana set around the central hot tub.

Is it value for money? Well that will of course depend on the individual. It is not for me to judge someone's spending habits. In terms of tangible reward the Bollinger champagne is your main item. The staff are of course lovely, there is a private kitchen area, bar and the whole place is peaceful.

My suspicions are that it will be used to reward loyal customers and placate guests who's experiences have fallen short of Seabourn's usual standards alongside normal paying guests. I'm not sure it will be listed as a specific benefit although the new loyalty level recently created would seem an ideal candidate for a complimentary day.

There will inevitably be those who value hitting deck 12 on the lift buttons when they want to take in some fresh air. You do have to remember that Seabourn has a small selection of guests who's wealth far exceeds normal standards and to whom $350 wouldn't even register. $250,000 ++ for a week's yacht charter makes Seabourn cheap, even with a larger cabin, daily access to The Retreat and a few select bottles of plonk.

Henry :)

But it would be nice to reward oneself (with OBC) for a special occasion. However, pretty sure you won't see me at dinner that night!

Henry

What drinks do the have in the club bar ,if they have no spirits ? Is it only wine ?

Many thanks

John

I think Henry said that the drinks were not visible and that the bar waiter would go out the back of the bar to pour certain drinks thus leaving the bar empty of a barman

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury

just to let you know we are still alive and bearing up under the strain.

Life has settled into a routine now we are at sea. Morning Bridge lesson - not going too well unfortunately, our little group of 4 novices, 3 English and a Korean / American is getting dragged from hither to thither without a solid foundation of the basics. Reading notes outside class helps fill in some gaps but I feel it is a lost cause. Will persevere a little longer. Having to learn American phraseology as well as we go.

The daily quiz is faring much better. Plumb last on days 1 & 2 we resigned ourselves to a fate of ridicule. On day 3 Donald Trump's children saved our bacon, won us a Mini Maglite each and provided a glimmer of hope. Yesterday somehow guessing that Gelotology is a study of the effect of laughter on the human body once again propelled us to the giddy heights of daily winner, saw us walk away with Seabourn umberellas and a chance at outright leadership. I shall keep you all informed.

I had a touch of man flu during the Petra port of call which wasn't ideal. Recovering now strength is slowly returning to the point I will soon have to hand back my sick note and return to the gym with Sharon.

Meeting some interesting people and had a delightful table of 5 in the Colonnade last night with Elio the environmental officer. English cut beef which positively melted in the mouth. Staff and officers wonderful led by Captain Mark Dexter who has to be the most natural captain we have sailed with. Eloquent and relaxed when public speaking he adds the final coat of varnish to a great team.

My video is progressing slowly and I hope to have it posted up before too long. Hard to know where the day goes sometimes. Oh, managed caviar and champagne (sparkling water for me) in the hot tub yesterday afternoon. total decadence but you have to treat yourself at least once in the cruise.

The ship is generally performing well considering its newness. A few people wandering around carrying out behind the scenes finishing touches and I'm sure there are areas where stress levels are still high but it doesn't spill over to public spaces or impede our enjoyment. The coffee beans still get roasted every morning in the square. Oh yes my friends, they now have a bright red coffee bean roaster !

Food has been excellent, the only one failure was a grossly over salted scallop dish in the main restaurant which I should have sent back but didn't - it's not as though I was hungry !! Other than that some great food led by rack of lamb in the TK Grill and a superb steak one night in the main dining room. Oh, Sushi did pretty well one evening when we wanted something a bit lighter. So managing to stave off rickets & scurvy.

On the entertainment side the singers and dancers are working their way through several new shows and keeping us amused. The Beatles Collection has everyone dancing in the Grand Salon - I kid you not !

Magician and so much more Matthew Dowden assisted by "Bond Girl" Mrs Able Seaman H had us mesmerised yesterday. Mark Donoghue also used his musical talent to great effect.

Katy Shotter on piano and vocals is someone to seek out if you are luck enough to have her on board. She is adding perfection to the TK bar which has proved to be the icing on the cake several evenings.

Sorry its a bit text heavy. Will try to add media content soon.

Oh - one bit of excitement we welcomed temporary security staff on board yesterday in a clandestine mid ocean meeting, which had been announced the day before by captain D.

We arrived at our secret rendezvous position where the security mother ship disgorged a zodiac rib containing security operatives and their equipment. They came alongside and entered Encore through a hidden hatch known only to the bridge officers, select deck hands and everyone watching starboard side. Oh, and all the pilots who come on board as well.

Choppy seas today would probably make boarding untenable but good to know there's some muscle there should we need it. I'm also sleeping with one eye open just in case......

Sorry to intrude on your musings. We are on the Encore as well, and are appreciating all the finer points of the design of the new ship and great service. The ship is very elegant and chic, and we particularly like the revamped Colonnade, the little Sushi restaurant, the light and airy Square, which is now a circle, and the open Observation Lounge, with its domed skylight above the bar area. I was probably previously a little sceptical about Thomas Keller, but we have dined in the new Grill twice, and it is a very classy and elegant space, especially the bar area, and we enjoyed being serenaded prior to dining there. Excellent experienced staff there as well. We particularly liked the new Tim Rice show, with the virtual Mr Rice introducing his songs, and will see the new shows evolving. When I first saw 'The Beatles' tribute band, I thought, ' who are these old codgers', but they were great fun. Today is the fourth of six sea days in a row, and we are not quite lectured out, by the three excellent lecturers. We haven't tried the art classes, but Trivia, that is another matter. It's only a game, as the lovely Handre reminds us. As Encore, Encore,Encore, we are heading in the other direction from you! Come over and say Hello. Anyway, the new ship is lovely, the staff are great as usual, the food varied and hot, so far, the Restaurant is open for every meal, and the weather is walm and balmy! What's not to enjoy!!

Katy Shotter on piano and vocals is someone to seek out if you are luck enough to have her on board. She is adding perfection to the TK bar...

Indeed! Katy is the best there is... super talented, wonderful personality, hard working and engaging, she is a world-class artist, and it is always great to have her on Seabourn.

Just FYI Mr L. Handré is now officially known around the ship as Adonis and was presented with his new name badge at todays noon trivia :)

Someone enquired about the Sushi restaurant menu. Ask and ye shall receive:

15589878_10155618270350031_6117167675808663660_n.jpg?oh=2afd65b9f8ac3494757f99e14e17f0c3&oe=58FA921F

15401010_10155618269100031_7641094224857494550_n.jpg?oh=27f252ee8a79c513209b2572f09205a8&oe=58B40406

15420846_10155618269430031_6521989454245964538_n.jpg?oh=6a52bf88ce31f8b098ea87bdd19a9782&oe=58ED0DB0

15492211_10155618269705031_4835015421895159856_n.jpg?oh=d6700ecd740b2674fb13c042f2b45b38&oe=58EA11F8

15541877_10155618270000031_1945022381174469616_n.jpg?oh=78606edbd156e3917bb4776fc598b95d&oe=58E80CFC

Henry

Desert comes in the form of this :

15590667_10155618271555031_4132972767097072164_n.jpg?oh=6da180e31c5f9bcc85af295f4b491135&oe=58E6FE7B

And the table decoration is a small flower :

15578506_10155618272440031_8008397852729306061_n.jpg?oh=49fa44fa21e90ca08ee0ca885624ab45&oe=58F9B3F2

We've had dinner a couple of times in Sushi and for us it was a great success on both occasions. Staff are lovely and food very different to that found elsewhere on the ship.

Henry :

15590644_10155618342720031_2986212781934750284_n.jpg?oh=a8272798b627e213abc3d0ee476490fd&oe=58F8C6CA

We ventured up to the Colonnade last night for a TK Ad Hoc night.

A lovely evening so sat out on the back deck, weather was perfect.

Salad was delicious, a good combination of both texture and taste.

Then the main event arrived and things went downhill. You get some cut slices of meat and a single rib bone between 2 along with the instructions "pick it up and use your fingers as you would do at home". My first reaction was to ask if someone was taking the pi55 by sending out a single rib.

Were we really expected to rip bits of meat off with our teeth then pass it along ? I'm not a bloody cave man!

Thinking on his feet the waiter who rather annoyingly described everything as "beautiful" did eventually turn up with a second bone after I had attempted to carve the first one so we could both get a taste. The charred surface made for good eating, so those who politely left it untouched missed out but even our dogs at home don't share bones.

I don't like being placed in an embarrassing situation of having to complain, not knowing what to do or having to take a hit for the troops and allow my dining partner to enjoy all the spoils.

From then on all my love was lost I'm afraid.

The not unpleasant Chardonnay was served in a lesser glass beaker to the water meaning when I wanted to take a good gulp of water I picked up the wrong glass. The "beautiful" honey to accompany the "beautiful" cheese was described as having no added sugar, since when do you add sugar to even the worst honey from a bee keeper?

Both my water and wine glass remained empty to the point where I got up, went to the serving station myself, filled my glass with fizzy water, took the bottle back to the table and sorted out Sharon's glass.

The "beautiful" chocolate tart was indeed delicious but by now the mood was lost. We didn't wait not to be offered coffee and headed off early to the show.

I'm a big fan of TK on Seabourn as I see it adds something without taking anything away but in this instance it didn't work. In fact to add insult to injury my knife slipped out of my hand from the grease when I carved up the rib bone and I ended up with a grease stain on my trousers.

As well as adding a second bone per couple invest in some finger bowls.

I'm in The Grill tonight where hopefully normal TK service will resume.

Edited by Able Seaman H

We join in 4 days in Dubai and look very much forward to the Japanese sushi restaurant!

Thank you for the information.

And those photos and menus...

Oishi des! Kio tsukete. Ja matta, etto

sayonara, Able-san.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Henry - your Ad Hoc type experience sounds like ours; we only tried it once. It appears sometimes it is quite good, but by no means always. Why the water type glasses for wine I do not know; ages ago I suggested some 'rustic' style small stemmed wine glasses would work well. You can ask for a proper glass, but should not have to.

Sorry service was also under par. On our one experience the waiter,who we knew quite well,was obviously embarrassed by some of the things he was bringing out. I suspect that knowing most will think the food is not good bothers the staff somewhat, or makes them defensive. A shame.

Henry what a shame and I sympathise with your upset of the evening.

I hope that the trousers are not ruined as I know that you only take one pair with you.

Have you taken two pairs of underpants this time as you are on for thirty four days.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Henry what a shame and I sympathise with your upset of the evening.

I hope that the trousers are not ruined as I know that you only take one pair with you.

Have you taken two pairs of underpants this time as you are on for thirty four days.

Yep, the old 2 pairs of underpants rotated on a 7 day cycle washed in Molton Brown shampoo routine. By here's the kicker, I'm finishing them off with Inspiring Basil & Vetiver Molton Brown Conditioner.

Makes them feel more like your mole skin Versace briefs than my Tescos boxers.

The frustrating thing is there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the meal, they just need to stop trying too hard.