Scenic Passau-Linz question

yokeagan

We will be on the Gems of Danube Scenic cruise in April. on the docking day at Passau Scenic offers 2 all day excursions- one to Salzburg, one to Cesky Krumlov. I also understand that the boat will move from Passau to Linz during the day. My question-- has anyone spent the day touring Passau and then met up with the boat in Linz instead of going on the all- day excursions? If so, how did you get to Linz? Also wondering if anyone would be willing to send me the daily programs they give to passengers.. Thanks in advance

Edited by yokeagan

Hm. I haven't cruised Scenic but I have visited both Passau and Linz. Passau in particular is worth staying behind for the day to tour. Linz is also quite worth having a look around. The river stretch between them is pretty too.

My stock answer to a question like this would be to take a train. Bahn.de lists hourly trains between Passau and Linz, with travel times ranging from 1h to 1h30 and one-way fares approximately 24 Euros. However, the train station is Passau is a little bit of a walk from the tourist areas (1.5 km from Rathausplatz) and the train station in Linz is 2 km from the usual ship's docking point. So unless you don't mind a bit of walking, that may not be a great option. Suppose you could always grab a taxi but I have zero experience with that.

You could always ask your cruise manager for suggestions. You will most definitely want to let them know of your plans so that they will know what you're doing, and can contact you if there are any last minute changes in ship location, schedule, etc. This is very important to do if you're out on your own.