Letter from P&O re New years eve arrival

Lizziebiff

Just received this from P&O

Someone hasn't thought this through. Hand luggage is 5 kilo per person.....suit shirt tie shoes, long dress, heels, jewellery, makeup etc

I think we might not make evening dinner in the dining room!!!!

We hope you are looking forward to starting the New Year on-board Britannia.

We just wanted to make you aware of a possibility that luggage may not arrive

at your cabin until late evening on embarkation day so you may wish to pack

your clothes for the evening in your hand luggage. The dress code on your

first evening (New Year's Eve) is 'Dress to impress'.

Please ensure that you adhere to the weight and size restrictions for hand

luggage. Information regarding this can be found on the Advice Centre or by

checking your Cruise Personaliser.

We look forward to welcoming you on-board.

Hope the buffet is serving a good variety :confused:

Someone hasn't thought this through. Hand luggage is 5 kilo per person.....suit shirt tie shoes, long dress, heels, jewellery, makeup etc

We hope you are looking forward to starting the New Year on-board Britannia.

We just wanted to make you aware of a possibility that luggage may not arrive

at your cabin until late evening on embarkation day so you may wish to pack

your clothes for the evening in your hand luggage. The dress code on your

first evening (New Year's Eve) is 'Dress to impress'.

Please ensure that you adhere to the weight and size restrictions for hand

luggage. Information regarding this can be found on the Advice Centre or by

checking your Cruise Personaliser.

We look forward to welcoming you on-board.

Hope the buffet is serving a good variety :confused:

Strange, because our November cruise was "Come as you can" on the first night (Friday, not the Saturday flight) due to the same, ridiculous 5kg limit (On Thomson)

We didn't have this dress code problem when we flew out to Britannia last Christmas but what we did find was that although all the paperwork/cruise personaliser said the hand luggage limit on our Thomas Cook flights out of Gatwick was 5 kg, when we got to check in it turned out to be 6 kg.

We had struggled to pack our son's books because he had to revise for his mock GCSEs whilst on holiday; we all ended up carrying some of the 7 kg of books and notes he took. An extra kg each would have helped.

Am guessing that it is difficult if you are boarding on New Year's Eve. They can't really move the celebrations but perhaps this was something that they should have thought about then they organised the dates for the cruise all those months and months ago.

Best airline we go with is Jet2 with 10kgs hand luggage ;-)

Perhaps it could be an excuse to go shopping for a new, lighter weight posh frock ;-)

Hand luggage is 5 kilo per person.....suit shirt tie shoes, long dress, heels, jewellery, makeup etc

Can't see a problem.

But then if I travel with checked luggage I don't bother with any hand luggage, just what fits in pockets. If I do travel with hand luggage and no checked luggage, a 10kg allowance is fine for a weeks holiday.

Can't see a problem.

But then if I travel with checked luggage I don't bother with any hand luggage, just what fits in pockets. If I do travel with hand luggage and no checked luggage, a 10kg allowance is fine for a weeks holiday.

Once we've put our cameras, kindles, iPod and video camera in our hand luggage then here isn't a lot of weight left.

10kg for a week's holiday :confused: I need to contact you as I am one of those who really struggle with the 20kg for 2 weeks - especially on a cruise.

How much does a suit weigh? Hubby's plus shirt and shoes seems to weigh quite a lot.

It comes down to planning.

Camera, iPod, and video camera is replaced by a single smartphone, which is in my pocket and my Kindle is in my hand.

Some hand luggage weighs a couple of KG, but the suitcase I use for a week long hand luggage trip weighs less than 0.75kg.

Everything I take has to earn its space. No "I might use that". So thinking about what I actually need. Obviously everything travel size for shampoo, etc, but if staying in decent hotels, don't bother as it will be provided.

Most places I stay are not in the middle of nowhere, so if I need something I can buy it or need something laundered I can get it done.

Bag 1kg. Suit, 1kg. Shoes, another 1kg. Loads of space.

It comes down to planning.

Camera, iPod, and video camera is replaced by a single smartphone, which is in my pocket and my Kindle is in my hand.

Some hand luggage weighs a couple of KG, but the suitcase I use for a week long hand luggage trip weighs less than 0.75kg.

Everything I take has to earn its space. No "I might use that". So thinking about what I actually need. Obviously everything travel size for shampoo, etc, but if staying in decent hotels, don't bother as it will be provided.

Most places I stay are not in the middle of nowhere, so if I need something I can buy it or need something laundered I can get it done.

Bag 1kg. Suit, 1kg. Shoes, another 1kg. Loads of space.

I'll have to set us a challenge sometime to see just how much stuff we DON'T take ;-)

Just a little aside. On both of the Caribbean cruises I've been on, those last passengers on the plane were generally struggling to find somewhere to put their hand luggage as the overhead bins were very full. I know weight doesn't exactly equal size but they are very roughly proportionate so although its easy to say the allowance is pathetic, unmanageable etc, I really don't think there is much more room available for much more. I do understand that it's more of an issue for this cruise but don't really know what P&O/the airlines were supposed to do about it.