American Express offer: $100 off $500+ Cruise Lines

izmeeh

So now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to get a third shot at this. I'm going to try to dig through the prior posts and see if I can figure out when it was offered last and when it was offered this time and see if I could protect from that when it'll be offered one more time.

First time: 10/14/16 and 4/14/17

Second time: 7/5/2017 and 12/31/2017

Maybe again next February?

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I certainly would not be surprised to see it again in 2018 and your February guess-timate would align with Wave season so..... :confused:

That WAS the case last time. I have 4 cards under 1 account and I used the offer w/ all 4 cards last time. However, on 07/05 I added the offer to ALL 4 cards under each login and they were all there. I used the offer on my card (not the main card) on 07/05. The charge posted on 07/07 (today) and the $100 credit shows on my DH's page (the main account holder) NOT under my log in. When I questioned this, I was advised and sent the "

This is wrong. please stop posting it. See the pic I posted from my experience.

This is correct. I came back today to correct this. Despite what the agent advised me about the offer not being available but once per card isn't correct even according to their website.

Can I participate in Amex Offers with more than one American Express Card?

If you manage multiple Cards on your americanexpress.com account, only one of the eligible Cards will be able to take advantage of an offer. If your eligible Cards have separate americanexpress.com accounts (unique IDs and passwords), they will each be able to access available offers. You can only add an Amex Offer to an eligible American Express Card once.

Now, having said that ... the offer is now showing on 3 of the other cards we have on our account. Additionally, I have used the offer w/ 2 cards and had to call to get the $100 credit on the 2nd card as it did not show up after 5 days.

So you're saying that you had logged into the authorized user's account and loaded the offer onto their card as well as the primary card holder's account, and you got the credit for one card but not the other?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

MisterBill99 was correct that the credit was applied to each card even though they were in the same account. There was a delay in posting one versus the other but each card DID receive $100.

• 2 months later...
So now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to get a third shot at this. I'm going to try to dig through the prior posts and see if I can figure out when it was offered last and when it was offered this time and see if I could protect from that when it'll be offered one more time.

First time: 10/14/16 and 4/14/17

Second time: 7/5/2017 and 12/31/2017

Maybe again next February?

So I just booked a new cruise on HAL today (yes I know this is the Carnival thread but the offer is the same). The cruise is next June. I have enough AMEX cards with the offer to pay it in full by splitting payment into $500 chunks. I'm very likely going to pay the cruise off by the end of December so I can get 20% off. Not worth taking a chance of it coming back before my final payment would be due in March.

• 3 weeks later...

I did it with my amex and my husbands amex, just registered both cards, added the offer and made payment to carnival. Sweet deal. This last cruise I ended up getting 200 off from amex, plus another 50 off by purchasing Verizon gift cards. I was lucky last year, it seems I caught the end of one Amex promotion and the start of another.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone made multiple payments to totaling $500+ and gotten the bonus? I'm looking at paying off 3 cruises.

Are you talking about making multiple sub-$500 payments totaling $500+on a single card, or using the offer on multiple cards by paying $500+ on each card?

The latter (multiple cards) is known to work. As for multiple transactions totaling $500 (like $250 and $250), that should work (and I know for a fact that it worked last time). There is usually wording in the offer like "in one or more transactions" to make it clear that it will work, but the offer doesn't have that wording this time. On the other hand, it also doesn't say "a single purchase of", which means it has to be a single transaction. So I'd be surprised if multiple transactions totaling $500 did not work.

Made multiple payments as in my registered card, DH is an authorized user on my card with a separate account login and same for DS (14) as authorized user with separate account login. So 3 - $500 payments made for a total of $1200 on AMEX card. Just make sure you add the offer to each user's account and have a separate account logon for each.

Has anyone made multiple payments to totaling $500+ and gotten the bonus? I'm looking at paying off 3 cruises.

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are referring to making multiple payments that would total $500, but each charge posted would be less than $500. If that is the case, the answer is NO. Each charge on each cardmembers card must be $500 total or more and made by Reservation department in order to get the $100 statement credit.

I went back and reread it. I thought you meant using the offer on multiple cards and getting the credits. No I hav we tried to make separate transactions for less then $500.

You made separate transactions that totaled $500 or more? And all we're to the booking (not funshop/ bon voyage)?

I have gotten the offer on 3 cards on our account. I have one more unredeeemed offer left to use. But I owe $40 on my kids' room, $173 on mine, and have another I can pay the rest towards to total $500. But I haven't tried this yet and would hate to try and not get the discount when I could just do the 10% gift card if nothing else.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You made separate transactions that totaled $500 or more? And all we're to the booking (not funshop/ bon voyage)?

I have gotten the offer on 3 cards on our account. I have one more unredeeemed offer left to use. But I owe $40 on my kids' room, $173 on mine, and have another I can pay the rest towards to total $500. But I haven't tried this yet and would hate to try and not get the discount when I could just do the 10% gift card if nothing else.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, each purchase was for $500. I’m not sure if it would work. I guess you could try it, leave like a $5 balance and if you don’t get the credit have them reverse the charges and pay with gift cards. Just don’t pay the whole thing off.

It should have said “I haven’t tried”. I didn’t go back and proofread my post. Sorry.

Thanks

I believe that this should work. I split the $500 between paying the remaining on a cruise and then some OBC on Holland America during the last offer and got the $100 back. As I posted last night, there is no wording in the offer saying it has to be in a single transaction. I'm not sure if buying OBC on Carnival works, but if you have another reservation to pay on that is the safe way to handle it. Worst case if you do not get credited for the offer, you have a strong case with AMEX CS since there is no single transaction wording.

What 10% gift card are you talking about?

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are referring to making multiple payments that would total $500, but each charge posted would be less than $500. If that is the case, the answer is NO. Each charge on each cardmembers card must be $500 total or more and made by Reservation department in order to get the $100 statement credit.

I don't think this is correct.

Edited by MisterBill99

I believe that this should work. I split the $500 between paying the remaining on a cruise and then some OBC on Holland America during the last offer and got the $100 back. As I posted last night, there is no wording in the offer saying it has to be in a single transaction. I'm not sure if buying OBC on Carnival works, but if you have another reservation to pay on that is the safe way to handle it. Worst case if you do not get credited for the offer, you have a strong case with AMEX CS since there is no single transaction wording.

I don't think this is correct.

I'm guessing they are referring to the discounted Carnival gift cards from Verizon, AARP, etc.

Thanks. I would think it would work because other non-related offers on my Amex have qualified on multiple transactions totalling the amount.

10% gift card is referring to getting a carnival gift card at 10% off face value from either Verizon, Allstate or Citi easy deals.

I have done multiple purchases on this offer in the past to get credit in the past, as well as on other Amex offers. Many do NOT have a requirement that the spend amount occur in a single transaction. I have never had to call for my credit once I hit the spend threshold; I have always gotten an email.

I have done multiple purchases on this offer in the past to get credit in the past, as well as on other Amex offers. Many do NOT have a requirement that the spend amount occur in a single transaction. I have never had to call for my credit once I hit the spend threshold; I have always gotten an email.

Correct. If the offer doesn't say it has to be in a single transaction, splitting it across multiple charges should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

We charged $472 today. I then spoke with Amex and they verified if I spend another $28, the offer will be triggered and we will get the credit.

My question ... my cruise is fully paid off including grats and I do not have another booked or going to be booked soon that will need a payment. Does anyone know of any other way to make an additional charge that will trigger the deal ? I called Carnival reservations tonight to see if I could purchase $30 OBC. They said the only things they can charge thru reservations are booking, gratuities, and insurance. They said all other purchases must be made through Funshops online. Which as I understand it will not trigger the deal ?? Ideas anyone ?

@angela12345 I talked to my TA about a couple of days ago. As I have two rooms with a balance of $444 left on each. I thought I needed a single $500 to activate the Amex offer so I asked my TA agent what could be done. She said that she could add OBC to get me to $500. That was my plan until your post indicating that multiple charges would activate the Amex offer. So . . . I wonder why you can't add OBC? I wonder if it's because you paid off the cruise before adding the OBC.

@angela12345 I talked to my TA about a couple of days ago. As I have two rooms with a balance of $444 left on each. I thought I needed a single $500 to activate the Amex offer so I asked my TA agent what could be done. She said that she could add OBC to get me to $500. That was my plan until your post indicating that multiple charges would activate the Amex offer. So . . . I wonder why you can't add OBC? I wonder if it's because you paid off the cruise before adding the OBC.

That very well could be. Any purchase needs to be under the “Reservations” category and not Fun Shops. I think if they add OBC at the same time you are making a payment, it will all show under the appropriate category, but I’m not for sure.

In the PPs case I would have had them credit back enough to get the full $500 on the Amex before final payment. Once it’s done, it’s done.

We charged $472 today. I then spoke with Amex and they verified if I spend another $28, the offer will be triggered and we will get the credit.

My question ... my cruise is fully paid off including grats and I do not have another booked or going to be booked soon that will need a payment. Does anyone know of any other way to make an additional charge that will trigger the deal ? I called Carnival reservations tonight to see if I could purchase $30 OBC. They said the only things they can charge thru reservations are booking, gratuities, and insurance. They said all other purchases must be made through Funshops online. Which as I understand it will not trigger the deal ?? Ideas anyone ?

Upgrade room location. Even if you stay in same category (for instance, staying interior to interior) moving location could trigger a charge high enough to get the $100 back.

@firemanbobswife, I did ask the PVP at the time I made the reservation if she could add OBC and she said she was not able to. Then I called back again and spoke with 2 other people and they also said they couldn't do it even at time of reservation. Have you (or can ANYONE confirm) ever added OBC on to a reservation that can confirm it's possible (and the agents I was speaking with didn't know what they were doing :) ) ?

@LMaxwell, good idea too ! I will check if it's an option. I'm not sure if there are any cabins left, the cruise leaves tomorrow.

@Snuckles, yes you should be fine as long as you get over $500 total in multiple transactions. I think I remember in past Amex offers people also confirmed it worked. Plus, the Amex agent confirmed. Last time I added on my gratuities to get over the $500 so it was all in one payment, I have not actually tested this. If your travel agent says they can add OBC to get over the $500, that wouldn't be a bad option either if you don't want to test this, because you know you'll have at least some onboard spending! Also, in the past I have made a payment with a gift card and had them credit back the credit card I used, it's super easy, so if you have a prior payment you made using another card, they could charge your Amex and credit the other card back.

No, I personally have never done it but I figured if there was a way to add it into the final total, it would need to be before final payment if there were any chance of it showing as being paid under the “reservation” code. It’s a FunShop purchase otherwise which doesn’t count.

Not sure what else if anything can be done this late in the game. Maybe you should just book another cruise and put the $500 down for a deposit [emoji3].

So I took a look at my past Amex bills and anything done w CCL over phone on booking was Carnival Cruise RSVR. My final bill coming off the ship was charged to a DBA of Victory Sail & Sign. Same address but not sure if that would work for you. I was going to suggest adjusting your gratuity UP $28 onboard.

What you could do is call back and ask to adjust gratuity upwards, NOT obc, and see if that works.

Do you have any family or friends taking any CCL (Princess, HAL, Cunard, etc) cruise? I have made payments for family using this offer before when I did not have a CCL cruise to take. They don't care who it is for, so long as offer is on the card. I got the refund that way as well.