??s for John Bull

flamomo

We'll be flying into Heathrow for a cruise on the Pacific Princess departing from Dover in 2017.

I've gotten the idea that Dover itself is not a particularly interesting place to visit, which is where we were initially planning to stay overnight. But now I am wondering if it would make more sense to just spend the pre-cruise night at a Heathrow area hotel, and arrange for a car or cab to drive us from there to the pier in Dover.

Also, I am wondering about how far it is from Heathrow to Dover.

Any input or suggestions from JB, or anyone else who may have had experience with this area would be much appreciated.

We'll be flying into Heathrow for a cruise on the Pacific Princess departing from Dover in 2017.

I've gotten the idea that Dover itself is not a particularly interesting place to visit, which is where we were initially planning to stay overnight. But now I am wondering if it would make more sense to just spend the pre-cruise night at a Heathrow area hotel, and arrange for a car or cab to drive us from there to the pier in Dover.

Also, I am wondering about how far it is from Heathrow to Dover.

Any input or suggestions from JB, or anyone else who may have had experience with this area would be much appreciated.

Depending on whereabouts you would be at heathrow its about 105 miles to Dover

Include me in the chorus of people urging you to just.say.no to staying at Heathrow for the night. That leaves you with 2 perfectly valid options: staying in Dover, or staying in Central London and travelling down to Dover the morning of your cruise. Certainly both are much preferable to being stuck out at an LHR hotel all day.

I don't think you need a reply from me now :D

Heathrow is soulless.

Dover is a long way from being "quaint olde England", it's a truck port.

But it has a heart, a sea-front of sorts, a few pubs & restaurants, and one of the finest castles in the country. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/dover-castle/?gclid=CPzF5vTQldECFaoW0wodjhcIUQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

For a mid-range hotel try Premier Inn Dover Central or Best Western Dover Marina.

There's no direct public transport from Heathrow, and there'll only be a ship-sponsored bus transfer on your sailing day. So you need a private transfer (though for two the cost of around £120 to £130 probably won't be higher than the cruise bus), or a National Express bus or train into London & then switch to a Dover-bound bus or train.

So if you use public transport, overniting in central London has its attractions though your time there will be limited.

Or consider the exile's suggestion & book a private transfer to historic Canterbury - then in the morning it's a half-hour train journey to Dover & a five-minute taxi ride to the cruise terminal.

For a private transfer to Dover try http://www.folkestonetaxi.com/ or http://www.dovertaxis.com/

JB :)

We spent the night in Canterbury before our cruise out of Dover. There is plenty to see and do in the time you have. There are also many good place to eat. We hired Folkstone Taxi for our trip to the pier. Our driver was llike a tour guide and showed us a few things in Dover before dropping us off at the pier. Clearly he loved his job and the area where he lived.

We spent the night on the grounds of the Cathedral as they have a "hotel" there. Check the Cathedral website for more information. Most any hotel will store luggage until your room is ready or you are ready to leave.