Travel Alert

Travelwiser13

There was a travel alert issued April 5, 2016 for Colombia as a whole -

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/colombia-travel-warning.html

I'm wondering, after seeing ya'll have been still traveling through Cartagena, how safe you've really been feeling in general? After reading this I'm feeling a little skiddish about this port especially bring my kids, though they are young adults. I think if I had seen this alert prior to booking I'd have probably not chosen this particular cruise. Just seems things have been escalating lately?:confused:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/colombia-travel-warning.html

I'm wondering, after seeing ya'll have been still traveling through Cartagena, how safe you've really been feeling in general? After reading this I'm feeling a little skiddish about this port especially bring my kids, though they are young adults. I think if I had seen this alert prior to booking I'd have probably not chosen this particular cruise. Just seems things have been escalating lately?:confused:

Take them at their word, "Security in Colombia has improved significantly in recent years, including in tourist and business travel destinations such as Bogota, Cartagena, etc."

Cartagena is a wonderful city to visit...great Spanish history. We would have no qualms about visiting again.

Cruise lines stopped port calls several years ago and then resumed them when security improved.

As in any major city you have to keep your wits about you. Staying in tourist areas will make your visit safe.

We been feeling safer in Cartagena then in NYC . Its our second visit and we booked cruise because of this port. First time we took ship tour and this time we just took taxi to Old city . Never felt unsafe .:p Just have common sense .

We been feeling safer in Cartagena then in NYC . Its our second visit and we booked cruise because of this port. First time we took ship tour and this time we just took taxi to Old city . Never felt unsafe .:p Just have common sense .

We would like to take a taxi into the old city.

Did you get local currency before you left home?

Did they exchange money for you on the ship?

Thanks

We would like to take a taxi into the old city.

Did you get local currency before you left home?

Did they exchange money for you on the ship?

Thanks

US dollars are perfectly fine in Colombia . Price for taxi in $ . you can use CC in any local store they will charge in (pesos?) or just pay US $ .