Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

Probably not - but now that the passenger's key is already in hand they can quickly scan it and match the paperwork in hand to whats on file, rather than having to ask who the person is, look them up, etc. Won't eliminate the process but will save time plus not getting room keys, etc. Would even allow for mobile checkin like RCCL does for the Anthem.

The cruise line may be subject to fine by the HSA for allowing passengers to board without the proper documents in their possession.

For one nightmare of a family with an exchange student who was missing a document, see this old post (though the OP didn't post the final outcome).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=751526

One poster (the immigration attorney?) said that if that poor kid had been allowed to board the ship without the right paperwork, he would have landed in jail when he tried to re-enter the US "illegally."

Since many (most?) cruises are not RT US, other countries' immigration policies and requirements must be considered. Some countries do their immigration checks aboard ship and won't "clear" the ship for debarkation until all passengers have been cleared.

Will CCL stop checking dox and thereby accept the risk of delaying or missing a port, or of HSA fine?

I do wonder why everyone doesn't just wait until after a couple of the medallion cruises actually take place this coming November to see what actually is going to happen rather than sitting around here conjecturing what is/might/will/won't happen during the embarkation/sailing/debarkation processes instead of getting angry and arguing about things? Heck, even the things that have already been stated by the people working on/with the project may change by the time actual cruises using the medallions start. :confused: :confused:

Tom

Since I don't travel with electronic devices... I see this as being more like "big brother" watching ... all in the interests of more profits.... will be interested in what others have to say when it goes into effect... then I can plan my strategy to avoid using it.

What privacy are you really losing here?...So now they're adding something that can tell which dining room or entertainment venue you're at. Maybe even which specific table you're sitting at? So what? I don't feel like I'm losing anything there.

Fair point. I guess to me the medallion idea just seems too much like another of the "electronic leashes" that many of us cruise to get away from. A wallet-size card doesn't seem nearly as intrusive.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

It won't be on all Princess ships for a while. If it really bothers you that much I would suggest cruising on another line. That's the beauty of having choices. Vote with your dollars.

I've already begun looking at HAL again for future bookings. I suspect they will be last of the Carnival Corp. brands to adopt the medallion due to their generally older demographic. The downside is that we are Platinum on Princess, but lowly one and two-star Mariners on HAL :(.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

on my last cruise I was laying out when approached by a photographer and asked if I wanted a pic...while normally I do like the port pics and boarding pics for my memory book......a pic of me sweaty and greasy from sunscreen with a towel mark on my face as I just woke from a mini nap is not my idea of a great pic..lol

Maybe there could be a new service charge for not having a picture taken in a situation like that,

It was quite plainly stated by Princess that the security checks would remain unchanged. The big difference when boarding is not having to stop while they take your picture and verify who you are.

They still have to take your picture. That is how it gets into the ship's computer so they can tell it is you.

Maybe they will change when they take it. Some cruise lines take it when you check-in, not when you first board.

Probably not - but now that the passenger's key is already in hand they can quickly scan it and match the paperwork in hand to whats on file, rather than having to ask who the person is, look them up, etc. Won't eliminate the process but will save time plus not getting room keys, etc. Would even allow for mobile checkin like RCCL does for the Anthem.

They say that if you do not have your Medallion you can get it at check-in.

Not sure how they can do that:

o Have a set of Medallions for everyone available just in case they are needed?

o Have the ability to make an Medallion at check-in, a capability they never had with cruise cards?

o Issue a temporary Medallion and have a permanent one issued once onboard?

o Other?

I do wonder why everyone doesn't just wait until after a couple of the medallion cruises actually take place this coming November to see what actually is going to happen rather than sitting around here conjecturing what is/might/will/won't happen during the embarkation/sailing/debarkation processes instead of getting angry and arguing about things? Heck, even the things that have already been stated by the people working on/with the project may change by the time actual cruises using the medallions start. :confused: :confused:

Tom

Maybe some folks would just like to try to figure out what's involved in OMC so they can react accordingly (e.g., book OMC, look elsewhere, dust off the foil hat).

Tom

In the mean time people like to make guesses on how it'll work.

It provides entertainment till the next Medallion cruise.;)

o Have the ability to make an Medallion at check-in, a capability they never had with cruise cards?

o Other?

Much easier than you're making it out to be. The medallion contains a number, a unique identifier. A computer system on the ship links that number to your identity, folio, purchasing ability, door access, etc. All they have to do is verify you are who you claim to be, grab a new medallion (won't be engraved with your name, obviously), and update the computer record linking that medallion's number to your identity.

They still have to take your picture. That is how it gets into the ship's computer so they can tell it is you.

Maybe they will change when they take it. Some cruise lines take it when you check-in, not when you first board.

On some of the promotional videos, it appeared that you could upload a picture of your passport, so you can probably also upload a picture.

On some of the promotional videos, it appeared that you could upload a picture of your passport, so you can probably also upload a picture.

Let's hope it's not my passport photo! It's horrendous and they told me not to smile! It might be one of the most unflattering photos ever!!

Oh well, time will tell how it all rolls out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally got around to watching the CCL CEO CES dog-and-pony show (or as much as I could stomach),

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im7xJeHrvkM

and I now understand that the Medallion will be all things to all men, and the world will never be the same.

I'm not sure I want to put my foot in that river the first time.

Edited by latserrof

I assume same as Disney, which is option 1 - they have basic bands at the check in desks. They will just have basic ones that are not engraved, etc and can be attached to your account. I would personally set up a separate station for that.

o Other?

Let's hope it's not my passport photo! It's horrendous and they told me not to smile! It might be one of the most unflattering photos ever!!

Oh well, time will tell how it all rolls out

Oddly enough they never said a thing to me about smiling and my passport photo does have me smiling. Several people on our last trip were quite surprised. Of course they also messed up my photo badly and I'm pretty much orange in the picture. I even had immigration comment on the color. Fortunately they didn't pull me out of line when I told them it's because I come from Venus. :rolleyes:

It is a good point about taking your picture. Uploading a photo might not be acceptable as you are not physically present so you could upload whatever photo you liked. Of course that would cause you problems when trying to board but people can do strange things.

Edited by Thrak

It is a good point about taking your picture. Uploading a photo might not be acceptable as you are not physically present so you could upload whatever photo you liked. Of course that would cause you problems when trying to board but people can do strange things.

Believe me, if I'm allowed to upload my picture, it's going to show me with a full head of hair.

:D

Believe me, if I'm allowed to upload my picture, it's going to show me with a full head of hair.

:D

Hmmmm....

This from the mid 70's: m1small_zps184278a7.jpg

Or This from 2012: Michael_zpsygv9cud4.jpg

I really don't think they'd let me board with the older pic. :D

Note: In the pic from the 70's I was married with 2 kids. A bit mind boggling to contemplate. I was also working in a mill. You can imagine the reaction from the other employees! :eek: My only option for survival was to become one of the best workers they had in the place.

Edited by Thrak

Medallions issued on the spot either at checkin or the service desk could still have your details on it. A laser engraver to do this type of engraving costs less than $100 and connects to a computer. Creating a new medallion with your details will be as easy as creating a new swipe card with your details.

There's a law. Your passport photo can be no better looking than the one on your driver's license. :D

Hmmmm....

This from the mid 70's: m1small_zps184278a7.jpg

Or This from 2012: Michael_zpsygv9cud4.jpg

I really don't think they'd let me board with the older pic. :D

Note: In the pic from the 70's I was married with 2 kids. A bit mind boggling to contemplate. I was also working in a mill. You can imagine the reaction from the other employees! :eek: My only option for survival was to become one of the best workers they had in the place.

I'm sure you won't be allowed sun glasses [emoji4]