no luggage, YC upgrade, Splendida cruise

electro

• 2 weeks later...
As I posted before I left, we had booked 2 weeks, the first week in a Fantastica balcony and the second week in the YC.

About a week before we left, our first week got upgraded to the YC. The e docs we received stated that all the Y perks were included.

As we are waiting to board the ship, the butler tells us that we have a YC room but not the perks! He said if we want them, then go to guest services. He aslo said to let them know about not having our luggage.

So once we board, we docs in hand we head to guest services. We show them the docs that state everything is included. He said, that wasn’t supposed to be on there. We say, too bad, it is there and you should honor it. So he goes to talk to a supervisor. Comes back and says no one on the ship can make that decision and they have to call head office. In the meantime, go to the concierge desk and fill out a form about our luggage.

We get some lunch, and then head to the YC Concierge desk, fill out the luggage form and ask her to call guest services to see if they heard back form shore side. The answer is no, they will not honor the info they sent to us. We asked to talk to the supervisor in person.

She comes to the Concierges desk and states that there is nothing she can do, head office said no. If we want the perks, we can pay 35 euros pp/pd. She says there is no-one on the ship that can override the head office decision.

I am tired of dealing with this so we pay the 35 euros pp/pd which is for 6 days since we were originally supposed to board in Genoa so this cruise is just 6 days.

I am going to have my TA try to get that reimbursed.

Send an email to customer service with the docs they sent me, the receipt for the 420 Euro and the invoice from the cruise showing where the change to my account and asked for a reimbursement of the 420 Euros we paid for the YC perks. Followed up today and this is the reply.:

Actually yes I finally got to speak with Management and showed them all the info I have showing it looks as though the experience was a part of the cabin upgrade. I am sending over to accounting a check request for $452.86 cents. It does take a little while for accounting to cut the check and mail out. To be on the safe side you should be getting this check within 30 days.[

Way to go MSC. You did the right thing.

Lois

• 4 weeks later...
Send an email to customer service with the docs they sent me, the receipt for the 420 Euro and the invoice from the cruise showing where the change to my account and asked for a reimbursement of the 420 Euros we paid for the YC perks. Followed up today and this is the reply.:

Actually yes I finally got to speak with Management and showed them all the info I have showing it looks as though the experience was a part of the cabin upgrade. I am sending over to accounting a check request for $452.86 cents. It does take a little while for accounting to cut the check and mail out. To be on the safe side you should be getting this check within 30 days.[

Way to go MSC. You did the right thing.

Lois

I received the cheque for the reimbursement of the YC amenities charge.

When I requested the reimbursement, I never actually thought they would do it.

I am very please with the customer service.

Lois

• Like 1

Just out of interest - how much did all the chopping and changing in Denver/Florida cost you? Or was it the case that you were refunded after the event? I don't know what it's like in the states but in the UK you are punished so harshly for any last minute/non-online booking that even the cost of a hire car for a few hours could be more than the flights. To be honest I would hesitate to do anything until it was confirmed to me that I wouldn't be picking the bill up in the end.

Just out of interest - how much did all the chopping and changing in Denver/Florida cost you? Or was it the case that you were refunded after the event? I don't know what it's like in the states but in the UK you are punished so harshly for any last minute/non-online booking that even the cost of a hire car for a few hours could be more than the flights. To be honest I would hesitate to do anything until it was confirmed to me that I wouldn't be picking the bill up in the end.

We had to pay for the United flight but Southwest credited us since they couldn't get us on another flight that day so that was a wash.

Changing from Ft Lauderdale to Ft Mayers didn't cost anything, with all the delays and cancellations, they were just happy to get anyone on a flight.

The car rental to get from Ft Mayers to Miami was $50 but we would have had to pay to get from Ft Lauderdale to Miami anyway so that works out to be about the same.

so it really didn't cost us extra except for the clothes I had to buy because of leaving my luggage behind.

It would have cost a lot if we had missed the flight from Miami to Rome as it was with a different airline and we would have had to rebook at our own expense.

Lois

I am curious about the 100 euros and all the other items that MSC gave you because you didn't have luggage. Was it because they felt sorry for you or did you have insurance or something else? Were you reimbursed for the clothing and items you had to buy?

So glad you didn't let it ruin your trip. Such a good attitude and you just forged ahead and handled it all. Good for you and glad you enjoyed yourselves.

I just booked my first MSC cruise and it is nice to hear that they came through for you. Also good that you chose to pay the extra rate per day and then got the money back. Good decision on your part and it ended well.:)

I am curious about the 100 euros and all the other items that MSC gave you because you didn't have luggage. Was it because they felt sorry for you or did you have insurance or something else? Were you reimbursed for the clothing and items you had to buy?

So glad you didn't let it ruin your trip. Such a good attitude and you just forged ahead and handled it all. Good for you and glad you enjoyed yourselves.

I just booked my first MSC cruise and it is nice to hear that they came through for you. Also good that you chose to pay the extra rate per day and then got the money back. Good decision on your part and it ended well.:)

The 100 euro didn't have anything to do with having insurance or not. They did not ask about insurance.

We told them we did not have luggage and explained the circumstances, and that we would not receive our luggage during the cruise. We filled out a form, they said they were putting 100 Euro OBC on our account to purchase some stuff and that we would have free expedited laundry during our entire trip. When we got back to our cabin, the 2 toiletry bags were there with the tooth brushes, tooth paste, razors, and a t-shirt in each one.

We used to OBC to buy a couple of T-shirts and golf shirts in the MSC logo store.

We felt that MSC went above and beyond in their handling of our situation and we were very grateful for their excellent customer service in this matter.

Lois

So now for the cruise.

I’m not going to do this in great detail, I will give the highlights and lowlights with a bit of a comparison to the NCL Haven and will answer any questions that I can.

First up, Yacht Club.

Last Feb I did a 14 night cruise in the NCL Haven and I have to say that the service in the YC far exceeded the Haven.

Each afternoon and evening there was a piano player in the Top Sail lounge. She was excellent.

The service was prompt and professional and friendly.

The TS Lounge was open every night until 2 am. When in the Haven, several nights we wanted to have a nightcap in the haven lounge before bed only to get there and find the bar closed as early as 10PM.

The YC restaurant was excellent with lobster severed 2 nights each week. This may have been because we sailed over Christmas and News Years Eve so I can’t swear that it is always served.

One thing that the YC restaurant has over the haven restaurant is the the YC menus change daily for both lunch and dinner. And of course the excellent risottos.

We liked our waiter Slava so much that we request to be in his section for the second week as well. He was very professional but serious. My DH did make him laugh out loud one night on the second week when he order the beef tartar and asked for it to be served well done.:eek:

Slava tried to remain serious but couldn’t hold in the laugh.:D We tipped both him and his assistant on the last night, New Year’s eve.

The one bar and pool were very nice and served breakfast and lunch. We didn’t spend much time here because we were in port almost every day and the weather was a little cool.

My DH did use the hot tub here a couple of times and we had breakfast outside once.

Cabins:

The first week we were in 15034. The cabin was about the size of a mini suite on NCL but had a walk in closet which was great. There was plenty of room for 2 although it was a little tight for both of us to was by the end of the bed at the same time.

The second week we in 16035, one of the square cabins. There was tons of room in this cabin.

the balcony was huge, plenty of room for 2 loungers if the weather had been warmer.

Next up, entertainment, port and misc.

Lois

Hi there, we are travelling in Splendida's Royal Yacht Club - Royal Suite in August. We typically would sail NCL Haven Club.

It was great to read your notes. Was there any noise from the YC PS Bar at night in your cabin?

Hi there, we are travelling in Splendida's Royal Yacht Club - Royal Suite in August. We typically would sail NCL Haven Club.

It was great to read your notes. Was there any noise from the YC PS Bar at night in your cabin?

We didn't have any problem with noise in either of the YC cabins we stayed in.

Other than the cabin size, I thought everything about the YC was superior to the Haven. For reference, my 14 days in the Haven was on the BA.

Lois

• 3 years later...
On 3/4/2017 at 11:14 AM, electro said:

The 100 euro didn't have anything to do with having insurance or not. They did not ask about insurance.

We told them we did not have luggage and explained the circumstances, and that we would not receive our luggage during the cruise. We filled out a form, they said they were putting 100 Euro OBC on our account to purchase some stuff and that we would have free expedited laundry during our entire trip. When we got back to our cabin, the 2 toiletry bags were there with the tooth brushes, tooth paste, razors, and a t-shirt in each one.

We used to OBC to buy a couple of T-shirts and golf shirts in the MSC logo store.

We felt that MSC went above and beyond in their handling of our situation and we were very grateful for their excellent customer service in this matter.

Lois

Oh, wow.  So the airfare wasnt purchased through MSC, they just did all of that to be nice.  That is some excellent customer service. 

20 hours ago, aprilF said:

Oh, wow.  So the airfare wasnt purchased through MSC, they just did all of that to be nice.  That is some excellent customer service. 

Yes, we were very pleased and grateful for all they did for us, the unlimited laundry was a hugh bonus!

• Like 1